Missid

Is ECR is required for CR - 1 Visa?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

Is ECR Passport required for CR - 1 Visa? 

My 10th CBSE Marksheet is misplaced (I do have 12th Marksheet but I have read only 10th Marksheet can be applied as it has DOB)and while I can retrieve that from Delhi by visiting their head office. I want to know as ECR only applies to only  'those' certain Gulf countries. Is it required for CR-1 Visa? Again, I can get my marksheet  but question is do I HAVE TO?

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

It seems about "those" gulf countries according to this: https://redbus2us.com/ecr-vs-non-ecr-ecnr-indian-passport-meaning-application-work-removal/

I'm not Indian myself but I know there's a lot of India specific things in the India passport that are meaningless once you walk past exit immigration. Like the spouses name field. American passports don't even have an address written in them (we move too much to have permanent addresses).

The bigger question is whether the ECR label in your passport will affect how you can use your passport within India. Will people interpret that incorrectly if they need to use it as ID proof? (I can tell you speak english clearly and are educated so wouldn't want people to misunderstand that). 

Marriage visa is ultimately going to require getting more difficult documents than marksheet though :)

Timeline
3 hours ago, 9000miles said:

It seems about "those" gulf countries according to this: https://redbus2us.com/ecr-vs-non-ecr-ecnr-indian-passport-meaning-application-work-removal/

I'm not Indian myself but I know there's a lot of India specific things in the India passport that are meaningless once you walk past exit immigration. Like the spouses name field. American passports don't even have an address written in them (we move too much to have permanent addresses).

The bigger question is whether the ECR label in your passport will affect how you can use your passport within India. Will people interpret that incorrectly if they need to use it as ID proof? (I can tell you speak english clearly and are educated so wouldn't want people to misunderstand that). 

Marriage visa is ultimately going to require getting more difficult documents than marksheet though :)

Thanks for your response! Im his USC fiancé and was confused about the whole ERC, NERC thing myself. After looking into it more, as he has a bachelors degree and has been working for the same company most of his adult life, I suggested to him that he just stops worrying about the ERC cuz it really doesn’t apply to him lol. 
He goes for his passport interview in a few hours, yay!!
We are hoping that by stalking these forums before we start our CR1 journey, which will be soon since we are getting married next month *inserting a happy dance* , we can be prepared and hopefully do it right. 

Thanks again for your response! 
BTW, he does speak good English, he corrects my Wisconsin hick grammar all the time and I have to look up English words he uses more often than I am proud of 🤦‍♀️Lol

Timeline
10 hours ago, Siddsgal said:

Thanks for your response! Im his USC fiancé and was confused about the whole ERC, NERC thing myself. After looking into it more, as he has a bachelors degree and has been working for the same company most of his adult life, I suggested to him that he just stops worrying about the ERC cuz it really doesn’t apply to him lol. 
He goes for his passport interview in a few hours, yay!!
We are hoping that by stalking these forums before we start our CR1 journey, which will be soon since we are getting married next month *inserting a happy dance* , we can be prepared and hopefully do it right. 

Thanks again for your response! 
BTW, he does speak good English, he corrects my Wisconsin hick grammar all the time and I have to look up English words he uses more often than I am proud of 🤦‍♀️Lol

From my understanding (white American who has been in India for a while trying to wait for our CR-1) ECR is a system they use to prevent people who haven't completed 10th grade from ending up in abusive labor situations in above countries. There's a bit of worry about human trafficking for vulnerable people and I think it's a good approach help take care of people.

Best of luck with Indian marriage certificate. The special marriage act process can be slow. Advice from my experience: Make sure you have a drivers license that doesn't expire soon. Indian paperwork often requires a "permanent address" and American passports don't provide this. You'll need to go to the USA embassy to get something like a "no objection certificate". Make sure your no objection cert and marriage cert both contain the address exactly as on your license. And double check everything they give you back... corruption often reveals itself as a slyly placed typo in forms and you'll want to get those fixed before leaving marriage office.

Timeline
2 hours ago, 9000miles said:

From my understanding (white American who has been in India for a while trying to wait for our CR-1) ECR is a system they use to prevent people who haven't completed 10th grade from ending up in abusive labor situations in above countries. There's a bit of worry about human trafficking for vulnerable people and I think it's a good approach help take care of people.

Best of luck with Indian marriage certificate. The special marriage act process can be slow. Advice from my experience: Make sure you have a drivers license that doesn't expire soon. Indian paperwork often requires a "permanent address" and American passports don't provide this. You'll need to go to the USA embassy to get something like a "no objection certificate". Make sure your no objection cert and marriage cert both contain the address exactly as on your license. And double check everything they give you back... corruption often reveals itself as a slyly placed typo in forms and you'll want to get those fixed before leaving marriage office.

We have had a lawyer to help with marriage, my mans documents were nonexistent before we met each other, he’s spent the last year trying to get documents and then fix them or get affidavits to attach to them. Been a huge mess and he doesn’t have the “typical” family over there, he’s been on his own most of his life, which has made it even more difficult for him. 

We just had his highly rated, expensive lawyer blackmail us for a few thousand more rupees to get us a confirmed marriage date😡 So we are well aware of the corruption......almost comically to me how shady the police can be when comes to money exchanges lol

Timeline
21 hours ago, 9000miles said:

Hi @9000miles

I just submitted my and her documents to the marriage center, They did ask me to bring "Single Status Certificate" on the date of marriage(I think its the same thing as 'NOC') & asked me to notify her to get it from US Embassy/Consulate or Local Government Body.

Now, as she lives like 7-8 hours away from Chicago,(nearest US embassy) Do you think NOC from India's US Embassy would be acceptable? Because it would be more convenient for me & her as she's preparing for the trip to India. And appointments are easy to get here as I was informed by the receptionist here.

Edited by Missid
Duplicate Replies, my mistake

Timeline
2 hours ago, Missid said:

Hi @9000miles

I just submitted my and her documents to the marriage center, They did ask me to bring "Single Status Certificate" on the date of marriage(I think its the same thing as 'NOC') & asked me to notify her to get it from US Embassy/Consulate or Local Government Body.

Now, as she lives like 7-8 hours away from Chicago,(nearest US embassy) Do you think NOC from India's US Embassy would be acceptable? Because it would be more convenient for me & her as she's preparing for the trip to India. And appointments are easy to get here as I was informed by the receptionist here.

You can only get "Single Status Certificate" or "NOC" (both Indian names for it) from the American Embassies in India. It'll look like this: https://in.usembassy.gov/marriage-noc/. Technically speaking, American federal government doesn't actually have the authority to say whether an American can get married or not so it's just a notarized statement declaring that the signing US citizen is unmarried which is all the Indian marriage offices really need. In India, stamped paper makes government babu happy 😬.

The US citizen must go to the embassy to get this document (please note no phones or electronics can be brought in, Indian partner may have to wait outside as well). 

Appointment can be made here: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs - please note that there's a $50 fee for the document to be granted.

Timeline
On 10/10/2019 at 5:08 AM, 9000miles said:

You can only get "Single Status Certificate" or "NOC" (both Indian names for it) from the American Embassies in India. It'll look like this: https://in.usembassy.gov/marriage-noc/. Technically speaking, American federal government doesn't actually have the authority to say whether an American can get married or not so it's just a notarized statement declaring that the signing US citizen is unmarried which is all the Indian marriage offices really need. In India, stamped paper makes government babu happy 😬.

The US citizen must go to the embassy to get this document (please note no phones or electronics can be brought in, Indian partner may have to wait outside as well). 

Appointment can be made here: https://evisaforms.state.gov/acs - please note that there's a $50 fee for the document to be granted.

I just faxed in a form to WI Secretary of State Department, it was a single status form so hopefully it’ll work. Wish I woulda read your message before doing it now lol. 
We will get an appointment set up in Mumbai as well for my NOC. 
Interesting that on Embassy page it says no such form exists in US but this is what I found on my states website. 

f05260.pdf

Edited by Siddsgal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.