Jump to content
JV7587

US National Fiancé

21 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

This forum has been a godsend for me the past few months. Thank you to all those who contribute in putting together the resources available on here.

I've sifted through search results but cannot seem to find the required information, so I thought to create my own thread and ask for help and information.

My partner is a US National from American Samoa but lives and works in CA and has done so for 20+ years. As he is considered a National and not a Citizen does this mean we are ineligible for the K1 and other visas that require the petitioner to be a USC? 

 

Any information is greatly appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JV7587 said:

Hi all,

 

This forum has been a godsend for me the past few months. Thank you to all those who contribute in putting together the resources available on here.

I've sifted through search results but cannot seem to find the required information, so I thought to create my own thread and ask for help and information.

My partner is a US National from American Samoa but lives and works in CA and has done so for 20+ years. As he is considered a National and not a Citizen does this mean we are ineligible for the K1 and other visas that require the petitioner to be a USC? 

 

Any information is greatly appreciated! 

My understanding is that a US National has the same immigration rights as an LPR. So a fiancé of a US national cannot apply for a fiancé visa (K1) but a spouse of a US National can apply for a spouse of an LPR visa   Current processing time around 2 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning to see how it can become a little murky regarding nationals born in US territories. Image attached is from usa.gov and states that you are a USC if you have a birth certificate issued by a US state/ territory which my partner has.

Wonder if this means he would just need to apply for citizenship to make it official or if he already is one because of the US issued birth certificate

 

 

643725692_ScreenShot2019-09-30at10_52_01pm.thumb.png.79a334c47ba7822e9043e423342d1881.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd defer to the I-130 instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf

Quote

Non-citizen U.S. nationals (as defined in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 308) have the same rights as lawful permanent residents to petition for family members. If you are a U.S. national born in American Samoa or Swains Island (or who otherwise qualifies as a non-citizen U.S. national, as described in INA section 308), you should indicate in Part 2., Item Number 36. of the petition that you are a lawful permanent resident. You do not need to list an Alien Registration Number (A-Number) in Part 2., Item Number 1. of the petition.

This would preclude being an eligible K-1 petitioner.

 

Edit: The above screenshot is a general guideline. But it does not apply to American Samoa for INA purposes. See:

https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title8-section1408&num=0&edition=prelim.

https://preview.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-a-chapter-2

 

They can qualify for citizenship if they otherwise meet the requirements for naturalization, though.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent

12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JV7587 said:

Beginning to see how it can become a little murky regarding nationals born in US territories. Image attached is from usa.gov and states that you are a USC if you have a birth certificate issued by a US state/ territory which my partner has.

Wonder if this means he would just need to apply for citizenship to make it official or if he already is one because of the US issued birth certificate

 

 

 

 

What passport does your partner possess?


Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

 

 

HandArrow.gif       Visa Process at USEM for the Philippines;  https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/us-embassy-usem.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hank_ said:

 

What passport does your partner possess?

American Samoans are issued US passports that state: " The bearer of this passport is a United States national and not a United States citizen. "


Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent

12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hank_ said:

What passport does your partner possess?

Passport-Disclaimer_.jpg

16 hours ago, JV7587 said:

My partner is a US National from American Samoa but lives and works in CA and has done so for 20+ years.

Marry first. Then your partner can file an I-130 to start the Second preference (F2A) process; see Matter of Ah San https://www.justice.gov/sites/default/files/eoir/legacy/2012/08/17/2388.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

F2A is about the only option so it appears.  

 

Or could my partner become a citizen through naturalization and then we continue down the K1 path?

 

Due my partner's current living arrangements we were not going to file our petition until the end of next year anyway, so we're not really in a hurry by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JV7587 said:

Or could my partner become a citizen through naturalization and then we continue down the K1 path?

 

Due my partner's current living arrangements we were not going to file our petition until the end of next year anyway, so we're not really in a hurry by any means.

Naturalization then a K-1 is an option.

That said, why so intent on the K-1...? It would make much more sense to marry and file for a F2A now. It can be upgraded to a CR-1 if they naturalize later. Both F2B and CR-1 are far superior to a K-1 visa (cheaper, can work right away, can travel right away, green card right away, can drive right away, etc.).

The only practical advantage of the K-1 is being a little faster. If being together ASAP is not an issue, then that advantage is moot.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago

9/27/17: received by USCIS

10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received

10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received

10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update)

1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed

1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received

1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice

10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice

10/25/18: Formal approval

10/31/18: Green card received

 

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent

12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received

3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification)

3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved!

3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

 

NVC

4/6/2017: Received

4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy

4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy

4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

 

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Naturalization then a K-1 is an option.

That said, why so intent on the K-1...? It would make much more sense to marry and file for a F2A now. It can be upgraded to a CR-1 if they naturalize later. Both F2B and CR-1 are far superior to a K-1 visa (cheaper, can work right away, can travel right away, green card right away, can drive right away, etc.).

The only practical advantage of the K-1 is being a little faster. If being together ASAP is not an issue, then that advantage is moot.

The only other advantage to a k1 is it allows for immigration of an 18 to 20 year old if the stepparent relationship was created after 18

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...