Eric C

fiance with a child

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone! I'm about to start filing for K1 visa. My fiance has a 16 year old boy. I've seen my fiance multiple time but I haven't seen her child in person and he's included in the petition. Do I have to meet/see her child in person? Will they need to see evidence that we met? During the interview, will they ask her son questions? Will they ask him if we met?

You don't have to meet in in person, but it would be highly, highly recommended that you two meet and have some type of knowledge of each other. Reason being... immigration is extremely protective of underage children. And yes, they will be asking the child questions about you and how they feel about immigrating. The last thing you want is a child having harsh feelings and moving away from their, family, friends, and country. And the last thing an immigration officer is going to do is approve a case for a child that is not aligned with living with a stranger.

The thing that is more important than you meeting the child is how the child feels about you, especially a teenager. You have some time so you need to start working on some kind of relationship with your fiance's child so there are no complications down the road.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

You don't have to meet in in person, but it would be highly, highly recommended that you two meet and have some type of knowledge of each other. Reason being... immigration is extremely protective of underage children. And yes, they will be asking the child questions about you and how they feel about immigrating. The last thing you want is a child having harsh feelings and moving away from their, family, friends, and country. And the last thing an immigration officer is going to do is approve a case for a child that is not aligned with living with a stranger.

The thing that is more important than you meeting the child is how the child feels about you, especially a teenager. You have some time so you need to start working on some kind of relationship with your fiance's child so there are no complications down the road.

You have great point Unlockable. Thank you. He's turning 17 next year.   

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Think of a friend was doing this and what you would say to them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 hours ago, Eric C said:

Hi everyone! I'm about to start filing for K1 visa. My fiance has a 16 year old boy. I've seen my fiance multiple time but I haven't seen her child in person and he's included in the petition. Do I have to meet/see her child in person? Will they need to see evidence that we met? During the interview, will they ask her son questions? Will they ask him if we met?

No you do not need evidence of having met the child for filing the I-129F.    

The boy will have his own interview, and yes they will ask him questions .. about you and the relationship you have with him.

Why haven't you met the boy?  He is a vital part of HER life and should be to you as well.  You and the boy should have a good relationship as well.  You and the boy not hitting it off can become a wedge pushing in your relationship with your fiancee .. which never ends well.   <<  I know of a couple where this happened, the boy resented the guy .. everything went downhill over time,  the boy and mom are almost done with ROC .. the couple is almost done with their divorce.

Philippines forum:  https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

12 hours ago, Eric C said:

You don't need to include him,  Let him stay in PI and give him an allowance or put him in college in Philippines.

ChickBoy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

You don't need to include him,  Let him stay in PI and give him an allowance or put him in college in Philippines.

Yeah, this a a route some take, as the child does not want to immigrate. I'd like to know what the teen thinks about it.  Perhaps he would be happy living with a relative and going to school.

9 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

Yeah, this a a route some take, as the child does not want to immigrate. I'd like to know what the teen thinks about it.  Perhaps he would be happy living with a relative and going to school.

I'd like to know what the mother thinks.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

4 hours ago, Highmystic said:

It could be a chance of a lifetime, let him become a doctor or lawyer in Philippines and live a good life over there

ChickBoy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

It could be a chance of a lifetime, let him become a doctor or lawyer in Philippines and live a good life over there

You are correct. I've heard of some who have their doctorates in the PH, but in the US they are lucky to get a job at a pharmacy, so they scale back their resume.  Someone who is a licensed MD in the PH makes a much better living than a pharmacist in the US.

41 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

You are correct. I've heard of some who have their doctorates in the PH, but in the US they are lucky to get a job at a pharmacy, so they scale back their resume.  Someone who is a licensed MD in the PH makes a much better living than a pharmacist in the US.

Sounds like they should all move to PH. Problem solved.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

12 hours ago, Commish10 said:

Mine a little different situation. My fiancee's daughter is almost 3. It took 3 visits for her to really warm up to me. Now we video chat almost everyday. Sometimes she calls her self (smart kids these days), or asks mommy to call for her. I do not think our relationship would survive without the "approval" of her daughter. If fact we are such a close family now even from far away. I feel i got a big head start forming a relationship with her early and thank my fiancee for allowing it. 
"

Same. Although I am the fiancee with the 2.5 year old. My fiance has played a big roll her whole life. Even though he has only seen her on his trip here and I took her for my most recent trip to the US. We Skype daily and she is so close to him and his parents. When submitting photos we submitting just as many with her in it because we did everything together. 

I know this child is older but I couldn't imagine not even trying to develop a relationship. I'm not talking about wanting to be dad but at least having had met.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.