laylalex

Poll: Majority of voters say U.S. government should do more to address gender pay gap

22 posts in this topic

It's Saturday and I don't have anything better to do today like moving the last of Alex's 90 bajillion buttondowns into my studio, but he's still snoring away so I present this article instead. 

"New POLITICO/Morning Consult polling found that nearly 6 in 10 voters believe there’s a gap in pay equity in the American workforce, with 57 percent of voters stating that men begin making more than women at the outset of their careers."

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/09/27/poll-gender-pay-gap-006066

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

What about all the other genders?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
14 hours ago, laylalex said:

It's Saturday and I don't have anything better to do today like moving the last of Alex's 90 bajillion buttondowns into my studio, but he's still snoring away so I present this article instead. 

You don't really buy into this myth, do you?

For the past 25 years, I have worked three jobs in distinctly different sectors, and pay for women was exactly the same as for men.

Perhaps Forbes can help you overcome the false narrative that you are following:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth

Edited by ALFKAD

Timeline

Just look at the divorce settlements, massive  difference.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

9 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

You don't really buy into this myth, do you?

For the past 25 years, I have worked three jobs in distinctly different sectors, and pay for women was exactly the same as for men.

Perhaps Forbes can help you overcome the false narrative that you are following:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth

I am familiar with Ms. Lips' work and her agenda. I think it's important to note that's an opinion piece by the way.

The gap is real. It may be a lot closer than it used to be but it is real. Even if there are only a few pennies on every dollar that are lost to women in similar jobs with similar education and credentials, those pennies add up over a lifetime. Why should a woman be paid a penny less? This is a much better place than that old Forbes opinion piece to think about what's really going on: https://www.payscale.com/data/gender-pay-gap Payscale doesn't have an agenda to grind besides helping both sides in an employment situation have transparency. 

9 hours ago, Boiler said:

Just look at the divorce settlements, massive  difference.

Well, when you come to a marriage with nothing but a 1997 Nissan and student loan debt, and your husband is from considerable wealth, and you quit your job at his request to help run his household, and your prenup makes a generous provision for you, and it turns out he's hiding assets, yeah, the difference can be big. I'm sure everyone will be DELIGHTED to know when I tried to log into Netflix last night the password didn't work any longer. 

Timeline

There will obviously be individual differences, I was looking it as a whole.

Also look at the Prison population and the average sentence, I can think of a few recent cases that exemplify this.

PS Presumably you were not hit by the power outage.

18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

There will obviously be individual differences, I was looking it as a whole.

Also look at the Prison population and the average sentence, I can think of a few recent cases that exemplify this.

PS Presumably you were not hit by the power outage.

No, our power was out earlier but we are back up. 

Should I even ask why you're monitoring Berkeley power outages? 

Timeline

It was mentioned in my news feed. L A Times?

Just now, Boiler said:

It was mentioned in my news feed. L A Times?

Lol, okay. Sorry if my hackles went up. I got doxxed once and it has made me overly paranoid at times I think!!!

*makes note to add Colorado updates to news feed* :P

Timeline

I am in the mountains. Currently windy. No snow yet.

16 hours ago, luckytxn said:

It isn't the Feds job to do anything about it. They need to stay away.

I would agree to the point of saying the Feds don't need to be any more involved than they already are. They don't need to be involved in setting wages. Wage discrimination is already illegal both in policy and practice. There is a legal avenue to remedy the issue.  

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

I am in the mountains. Currently windy. No snow yet.

We will be crossing them in a few weeks, hoping the snow stays away until the end of October.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!