Elif_and_Greg

I-134 How much bank account info is really necessary?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

I'm sure this has been addressed a hundred times, so my apologies. I couldn't find quite what I was looking for about it.

The USCIS website states in its help section about the I-134 to submit, "

• A signed statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution that states when you opened an account, the total amount deposited for the past year, and the present balance of such account"

Is this really necessary? I could do a combination of these things, but to do it all as one thing is going to seriously delay when I can get this done.

I could do a bank statements for the last few months perhaps. They're just these long lists of my account balances and deposits and spending.

I tried to do an overview look of all my deposits and wages, but the thing the bank printed for me looked so unofficial it could've easily been a fake. 

Is there a bare minimum for money in the bank that is anything less than what the USCIS website states? I already have tons of documentation of my wages, but the information on my entire bank account can be summoned in a number of ways, but a single document showing everything in the past year, stating when I opened the account, the total deposit per year and the present balance? Isn't that excessive?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I printed out 12 months of statements, circled the deposits, made an excel sheet summarizing them, and put it with the paystubs matching the deposits.

I realize that I COULD do that. I guess I should clarify a bit more.

This is the 2nd affidavit of support I'm doing. Our lawyer advised I prepare a new affidavit of support for my fiance to take to her interview. Seems sensible enough since we don't know what the consulate will have with them. But I didn't do nearly that much for my financial information the first time around and we got our NOA2. 

So I was wondering why I was being told with this second time around to not just show my income/wages, but to show all this other information about my bank account, a whole year's history worth!

58 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

I'm sure this has been addressed a hundred times, so my apologies. I couldn't find quite what I was looking for about it.

The USCIS website states in its help section about the I-134 to submit, "

• A signed statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution that states when you opened an account, the total amount deposited for the past year, and the present balance of such account"

Is this really necessary? I could do a combination of these things, but to do it all as one thing is going to seriously delay when I can get this done.

I could do a bank statements for the last few months perhaps. They're just these long lists of my account balances and deposits and spending.

I tried to do an overview look of all my deposits and wages, but the thing the bank printed for me looked so unofficial it could've easily been a fake. 

Is there a bare minimum for money in the bank that is anything less than what the USCIS website states? I already have tons of documentation of my wages, but the information on my entire bank account can be summoned in a number of ways, but a single document showing everything in the past year, stating when I opened the account, the total deposit per year and the present balance? Isn't that excessive?

Is there any Embassy or Consulate that actually request bank statements?

ChickBoy

27 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

This is the 2nd affidavit of support I'm doing. Our lawyer advised I prepare a new affidavit of support for my fiance to take to her interview. Seems sensible enough since we don't know what the consulate will have with them. But I didn't do nearly that much for my financial information the first time around and we got our NOA2. 

Why a second I-134...?

27 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

So I was wondering why I was being told with this second time around to not just show my income/wages, but to show all this other information about my bank account, a whole year's history worth!

Assets are optional if income is sufficient.

"Sufficient" is a judgement call, not just minimums.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

I realize that I COULD do that. I guess I should clarify a bit more.

What’s the NOA2 have to do with the support affidavit?

Unless you filed the I-134 with the petition?  In that case, your lawyer is correct.  Send an updated current one.

Print out a year or not.  Up to you.  They ask for it, if they really need it that file will sit right on someone’s desk until they get it.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Why a second I-134...?

Assets are optional if income is sufficient.

"Sufficient" is a judgement call, not just minimums.

I was told my fiance should bring a new signed copy because the consulate may not have the original affidavit with them. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

What’s the NOA2 have to do with the support affidavit?

Unless you filed the I-134 with the petition?  In that case, your lawyer is correct.  Send an updated current one.

Print out a year or not.  Up to you.  They ask for it, if they really need it that file will sit right on someone’s desk until they get it.

I mentioned the NOA2, saying we got our NOA2 and the affidavit with the original petition didn't have all that bank account stuff. Just a declaration of my liquidity, and my job/salary information. 

4 minutes ago, Elif_and_Greg said:

I was told my fiance should bring a new signed copy because the consulate may not have the original affidavit with them. 

So I'm assuming you sent one with the I-129F...? If so, no clue why your attorney had you do that. It was never a consideration and would need a new one for the interview anyway.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

So I'm assuming you sent one with the I-129F...? If so, no clue why your attorney had you do that. It was never a consideration and would need a new one for the interview anyway.

I guess I"m not entirely sure if the I-134 was sent with the petition or not. That could be ignorance on my part. So you're saying that regardless a fresh one needs to be ready for the interview anyway.

I was preparing the I-134 anyway. I just wasn't sure about the bank statement stuff above all. 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, fayrog said:

I think each consulate is different in what they ask for as evidence of financial support. Our just asked for a letter from my job, recent payroll stubs, recent tax returns in addition to the affidavit. 

Thanks for that feedback. I'll make sure I have AT LEAST those things and probably start preparing my bank statements over this weekend. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.