Jump to content
markandoliv

Do we need to inform uscis of address change

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, since arriving to the US on the 30th we have changed address (on september 15th), do we need to inform anyone of this address change or is updating the address in the aos which we will be sending next month be enough?

 

TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, markandoliv said:

Hi everyone, since arriving to the US on the 30th we have changed address (on september 15th), do we need to inform anyone of this address change or is updating the address in the aos which we will be sending next month be enough?

 

TIA

You're required to file an AR-11: https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, USS_Voyager said:

You're required to file an AR-11: https://www.uscis.gov/ar-11

There’s no petition on file to update it with an AR-11 though..

 

i would update it on the AOS as you didn’t even file it yet. K1 is non-immigrant so it does not keep track until you file for an immigrant visa.

On 9/27/2019 at 5:04 PM, markandoliv said:

Can it be changed by calling them?

IF you have a petition you would use Ar11 online or by mail. But they have nothing to update your address on at the moment 🤷🏻‍♀️


Check your case status at the new website : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naes said:

There’s no petition on file to update it with an AR-11 though..

 

i would update it on the AOS as you didn’t even file it yet. K1 is non-immigrant so it does not keep track until you file for an immigrant visa.

IF you have a petition you would use Ar11 online or by mail. But they have nothing to update your address on at the moment 🤷🏻‍♀️

Hi, i put my details into the uscis site online tool and it says "success - address change request submitted" so i guess if it can be updated it has been. If not, the aos will update i hope.  Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, markandoliv said:

Hi, i put my details into the uscis site online tool and it says "success - address change request submitted" so i guess if it can be updated it has been. If not, the aos will update i hope.  Thanks

AOS will update it. Don’t worry. :)


Check your case status at the new website : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Naes said:

There’s no petition on file to update it with an AR-11 though..

 

i would update it on the AOS as you didn’t even file it yet. K1 is non-immigrant so it does not keep track until you file for an immigrant visa.

IF you have a petition you would use Ar11 online or by mail. But they have nothing to update your address on at the moment 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yes, but as an immigrant or non-immigrant, you are required by laws to inform USCIS if you change your address within 15 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, but as an immigrant or non-immigrant, you are required by laws to inform USCIS if you change your address within 15 days. 

As an immigrant yes. I have never heard of non-immigrant required to, when they don’t have any sort of petition or application pending. 


Check your case status at the new website : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Naes said:

As an immigrant yes. I have never heard of non-immigrant required to, when they don’t have any sort of petition or application pending. 

According to the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 265(a), "each alien required to be registered under this title who is within the United States shall notify the attorney general in writing of each change of address and new address within ten days from the date of such change and furnish with such notice such additional information as the attorney general may require by regulation." Any non-citizens, including permanent residents, who reside in the U.S. should use Form AR-11, the Alien’s Change of Address Card, to report their change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address. Form AR-11 is available both in paper and electronic form on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov/ar-11.

 

So if you are an alien (non-US citizen) you need to do an AR-11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

According to the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 265(a), "each alien required to be registered under this title who is within the United States shall notify the attorney general in writing of each change of address and new address within ten days from the date of such change and furnish with such notice such additional information as the attorney general may require by regulation." Any non-citizens, including permanent residents, who reside in the U.S. should use Form AR-11, the Alien’s Change of Address Card, to report their change of address within 10 days of moving to the new address. Form AR-11 is available both in paper and electronic form on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov/ar-11.

 

So if you are an alien (non-US citizen) you need to do an AR-11. 

Yes I did read that. but the explanation of  "each alien required to be registered" is the important part here, not the rest.

 

However according to that subsection, even tourist visas required to send AR-11. I should have known better searching for logic in USICS -_-..

 

however this logic also leads to the logic of a person with a tourist visa to also register (which apparently they do! wow I really didn't know this but apparently they are not exempt lol not working well I guess thinking of alllll the people who are sitting on tourist visas),  Looks like (k) fiance is not exempt of this.. which says needs to report every 3 month ( makes sense as the visa would expire) and/or if changed address. which doesn't really make this logical

 

K1 is a 90 day non-immigrant visa, you don't really give them where you will be living until AOS, although yes you write a possible address on the form itself like 1 year before entry, so until you file for AOS there is no address you can even give to them, that can be recorded and kept. unless they are putting a post-it somewhere and wait for that person to file for AOS. Which actually then lead to the part AR-11 in this case is more for the department of homeland security and not USCIS. I don't know still sounds silly but looks like weirdly required.


Check your case status at the new website : https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

 

How to talk to a live person at USCIShttps://goo.gl/54z5bZ

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVCClick here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

If you cannot get NVC on the phone try this - https://secureforms.travel.state.gov/ask-nvc.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Naes said:

I don't know still sounds silly but looks like weirdly required.

True, very weird, but it is the law. And I'm not saying it's strictly enforced either. I have never seen anyone got into any troubles for NOT filing the AR-11. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...