markandoliv

marriage before applied for ssn- what to do? aos from k1

10 posts in this topic

hi everyone, sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum but im new to this forum.

i arrived to the US at the end of last month- in north carolina on a k1 visa. A couple weeks in we applied for our marriage licence and plan on getting married early next week. At the time of appying for the marriage licence  i thought we needed to get married before applying for ssn (and i signed something at the office stating that i cant get an ssn (or im not eligible i think it said), but ive since found out that isnt the case and that you are eligible on a k1- since researching the aos process.

i called the register of deeds office and told them this,   that technically i can get an ssn on k1, and asked if i should apply for ssn then go back to the register of deeds office and get another marriage licence- they said to not do that and to get married then apply for ssn and stated im overthinking this. they adamantly advised to get married first then apply for ssn. 

my question is, should i go ahead and get married, then apply for ssn at the social security office, then wait for it to arrive, then complete AOS? or should i just get married, go ahead with AOS and check the box for part 2 question 14 of the i765 employment authorization form which requests a social security card be issued??

sorry for the long post, but any advice is appreciated.

thanks

5 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

If you're not changng your name and you still have enough time on the I-94, you can apply after marriage. 

I believe the i94 expires on november 27th. And i wont be changing my name. I do however want to send the aos before october 15 to avoid the new rules.  Would i have any issues getting married then requesting they send me social security card when i send i765 for aos?

I read you need ssn for everything in terms of evidence of relationship, getting bank account etc

Getting the SSN will make your life way easier. And you don't need it to file for AOS.

You can apply for the SSN and send the I-765 without requesting for one. The waiting time for EAD/AP is over 6 months and some people get the interview scheduled before getting the combo card. 

So I'd personally recommend to get the SSN now; there is no point in delaying it. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

13 minutes ago, markandoliv said:

Would i have any issues getting married then requesting they send me social security card when i send i765 for aos?

No issue. You can even go to the SSA and request a SSN before November 14 (they won't let you apply if you have less than 14 days before the I-94 expires). If they issue a SSN and then later get your forwarded request* from USCIS, then they will not act on the forwarded request.

*Forwarded request would be after I-765 approval. That is about 5 months from filing.

Apply for an SSN now and make your life easier.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

6 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Getting the SSN will make your life way easier. And you don't need it to file for AOS.

You can apply for the SSN and send the I-765 without requesting for one. The waiting time for EAD/AP is over 6 months and some people get the interview scheduled before getting the combo card. 

So I'd personally recommend to get the SSN now; there is no point in delaying it. 

Thanks for the replies everyone, so the best thing to do is get married, apply for ssn, then send off aos?

Just wondering though, would i need to wait until i have my ssn in hand before i send the aos stuff off, or can i just send the aos and in the i765 check that ive never been issued a ssn car, and also check no for requesting ssn ? (As it would be in the process of being delivered)

Thought they might be confused if i state i dont have an ssn and also dont request one.  

Thanks for the help

20190919_210157.jpg

20190919_210233.jpg

6 minutes ago, markandoliv said:

would i need to wait until i have my ssn in hand before i send the aos stuff off

You don't have to wait.

6 minutes ago, markandoliv said:

can i just send the aos and in the i765 check that ive never been issued a ssn car, and also check no for requesting ssn ? (As it would be in the process of being delivered)

You can chose either "Yes" or "No" for the request question. It's not an issue.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Getting married and applying for SSN are not directly related. You are eligible for SSN once you have legally entered as a K-1 and gotten your I-94. Again, applying for AOS once married is not related to having obtained your SSN or not. I applied for my SSN 2 days after arrival and got married next week. Then I planned to file for AOS asap and the first version of my I-485 was like "no, SSA has never issued me a SSN, yes, I want it to". Eventually I filed in 6 weeks having received my SSN in 4 weeks. I corrected my I-485 then. Having your SSN, according to my experience, may be crucial for at least 3 things: opening your bank account, personal checking or joint with your spouse, being added to their health insurance plan and applying for your drivers licence. 

4 hours ago, markandoliv said:

Thanks for the replies everyone, so the best thing to do is get married, apply for ssn, then send off aos?

Just wondering though, would i need to wait until i have my ssn in hand before i send the aos stuff off, or can i just send the aos and in the i765 check that ive never been issued a ssn car, and also check no for requesting ssn ? (As it would be in the process of being delivered)

Thought they might be confused if i state i dont have an ssn and also dont request one.  

Thanks for the help.

You can even get married, send AOS as soon as you get the marriage certificate and then apply for the SSN -again, as long as there is enough time left on your I-94-.

If at the time of sending AOS you do not have a card in hand -whether you applied or not- you check NO on both questions. They won't get confused. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.