GOOOOOB

I-797 expiry and scheduled K1 interview date

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello again! I know this might be, and probably is, a stupid question. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have just scheduled my K1 visa interview for 18th October 2019 and while looking through all the paperwork we have I noticed the expiry date on our I-797 is 17th October 2019. 

Now, do I have to reschedule my interview to a date before the expiry of the i-797 or doesn't it matter? 

Once again I apologise if this is a stupid question but it can't hurt to get some confirmation.

Cheers!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Adam.T said:

Hello again! I know this might be, and probably is, a stupid question. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

I have just scheduled my K1 visa interview for 18th October 2019 and while looking through all the paperwork we have I noticed the expiry date on our I-797 is 17th October 2019. 

Now, do I have to reschedule my interview to a date before the expiry of the i-797 or doesn't it matter? 

Once again I apologise if this is a stupid question but it can't hurt to get some confirmation.

Cheers!

Your fine,  consulate can and will extend the validity period 

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Your fine,  consulate can and will extend the validity period 

I guess I need to contact the consulate to confirm. Thanks for your help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Adam.T said:

I guess I need to contact the consulate to confirm. Thanks for your help!

Not for London. Read the Instructions to K1s they provide on their website.  On the page for required documents https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/  you will find this in the list.

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

That's it! Nothing else to do but get a new letter from USC

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

Not for London. Read the Instructions to K1s they provide on their website.  On the page for required documents https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/fiancee-2/required-documents/  you will find this in the list.

If your petition expires before the visa interview takes place, you are required to bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.

That's it! Nothing else to do but get a new letter from USC

So I just need to get my fiancee to write and sign a new letter confirming that we are both legally free to marry? Thats not too difficult!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Adam.T said:

So I just need to get my fiancee to write and sign a new letter confirming that we are both legally free to marry? Thats not too difficult!

Very much like the one in the petition but with a newer date. Don't forget to also say "intend to be married within 90 days of Adam's arrival on a K1". 

Yes, very easy and such a non-issue that sometimes they don't even ask to see it. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
7 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Very much like the one in the petition but with a newer date. Don't forget to also say "intend to be married within 90 days of Adam's arrival on a K1". 

Yes, very easy and such a non-issue that sometimes they don't even ask to see it. 

Cheers mate, you've been a big help once again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.