Deanne81

sending additional documents for minor child's passport requirements

2 posts in this topic

Hi VisaJourney experts. I have some questions regarding my minor son's passport application. 

Some background:

I submitted my and my son's passport applications together on Aug 23rd, 2019. Both applications would need my original naturalization certificate so the intake office clipped the 2 folders together with a coverletter. Yesterday I got a notification that MY application was approved. A couple hours later another notification that it was shipped. Today I got this email saying MY SON's application needs more documents. A couple of hours later I got a new notification that MY application is approved. I called the hotline (National Passport Information Service) but they said the "processing office" in San Diego will have to call me back for the clarifications I am needing. I waited all day and have not heard back.

They basically have a bullet list of 3 things (attached and marked for emphasis).

Req#1 (greencard) -- not a problem.

Req#2 (evidence of legal separation of "PARENTS" and custody decree) --   I am  not sure if I can claim this as "NOT APPLICABLE". My son's birth certificate bears only my name and father is indicated explicitly as "Unknown". I was married when my son  was 9 yrs old, but we didn't adopt him. My status now is divorced, but the divorce decree with my ex does not have any custody clause as he was neither my son's biological nor adoptive father. My son is only mine since birth. 

Req#3 (evidence of legal and physical custody after entry to the US as permanent resident and before he is 18yo) 

So here are my questions:

1) Would Req#2 be N/A ?

2) Would Req#3 also have to be originals or would notarized copies suffice?

3) Will I need documents to cover ALL our years as permanent resident  until my recent naturalization? That's a lot of documents. Can I just send the latest?

4) TBH I'm not even sure what constitutes an "original tax record", "original school record", or "original medical record". Ugh

I hope someone here can help. Any help at all is appreciated. 

image.png.542aa1b0e8df7ff7801754f51d117a10.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.