Jump to content

sending additional documents for minor child's passport requirements

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi VisaJourney experts. I have some questions regarding my minor son's passport application. 


Some background:

I submitted my and my son's passport applications together on Aug 23rd, 2019. Both applications would need my original naturalization certificate so the intake office clipped the 2 folders together with a coverletter. Yesterday I got a notification that MY application was approved. A couple hours later another notification that it was shipped. Today I got this email saying MY SON's application needs more documents. A couple of hours later I got a new notification that MY application is approved. I called the hotline (National Passport Information Service) but they said the "processing office" in San Diego will have to call me back for the clarifications I am needing. I waited all day and have not heard back.


They basically have a bullet list of 3 things (attached and marked for emphasis).


Req#1 (greencard) -- not a problem.


Req#2 (evidence of legal separation of "PARENTS" and custody decree) --   I am  not sure if I can claim this as "NOT APPLICABLE". My son's birth certificate bears only my name and father is indicated explicitly as "Unknown". I was married when my son  was 9 yrs old, but we didn't adopt him. My status now is divorced, but the divorce decree with my ex does not have any custody clause as he was neither my son's biological nor adoptive father. My son is only mine since birth. 


Req#3 (evidence of legal and physical custody after entry to the US as permanent resident and before he is 18yo) 


So here are my questions:

1) Would Req#2 be N/A ?

2) Would Req#3 also have to be originals or would notarized copies suffice?

3) Will I need documents to cover ALL our years as permanent resident  until my recent naturalization? That's a lot of documents. Can I just send the latest?

4) TBH I'm not even sure what constitutes an "original tax record", "original school record", or "original medical record". Ugh


I hope someone here can help. Any help at all is appreciated. 





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...