flfreddy

Name Change Middle School - didnt know

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Maybe some of you can help.  My fiance now tells me she used to go by another name in middle school before her parents changed it to the current name like 10 years ago.    I didnt know that when we were filling in the I129F in May 2019.

NOA2 received.

Now waiting for P3.

All her birth cert, school, police, marriage single certs are in her current name.   Will this be an issue at GUANGZHOU?

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Likely not, if you and her were thorough in filling out the forms, i.e., where it asks for other also known as (AKA) names. For the beneficiary, the section is on page 4 of the Form I-129F petition.  If not, she may have some "splaining" to do at her visa interview. I say her, because you are not allowed to attend the interview in Guangzhou.

Kinda late in the process to remember former names, isn't it?

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
5 hours ago, Pitaya said:

Likely not, if you and her were thorough in filling out the forms, i.e., where it asks for other also known as (AKA) names. For the beneficiary, the section is on page 4 of the Form I-129F petition.  If not, she may have some "splaining" to do at her visa interview. I say her, because you are not allowed to attend the interview in Guangzhou.

Kinda late in the process to remember former names, isn't it?

Yes, my US attorney and I worked thru the I129F form together, we both didnt know she had a name in middle school.   Its when she was reading the chinese app stories then .. oh i used to have that name until middle school before my parents changed it for luck according to fortune teller... NOW YOU TELL ME!!!??? lol

Anyway I am in China with her and we went to the GONG ZHENG office and got the Previous Name Use Notary Certificate - so at least she can include in embassy interview docs, and when she declare in DS160.   All Notary certificates are in hand and waiting for case number and P3.

My attorney says to correct the mistake at DS160 rather than hide it .. honesty is key.

Fingers crossed.   K1 is only done in GUANGZHOU right? not anywhere else.  We are in NE china near N korea and have to fly there.

=============
5/20/2019 - I129 Submitted

5/22/19 - NOA1

Timeline

Which name is on her notarial certificate of birth? If her name was changed in the hukou,  I would think the birth certificate has her PRESENT name, rather than the former name, since they go by what is in the hukou at the time of issuance. Likewise, I would think her Chinese ID reflects her current name.

So what was in her previous name that would make any difference or even be noticed? From your OP - "All her birth cert, school, police, marriage single certs are in her current name. "

In any event, I'm sure she is COMPLETELY covered by the Previous Name Use Notary Certificate

玉林,桂 resident
Feb 23, 2005 ........ Mailed I-129F to TSC . . . . . . . . .March 8th ............. P1 from CSC
April 11 ................. P2 from CSC . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .April 25 ................ NVC sends packet to GUZ
June 22 ................ P3 received . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Nov 22 ................. PASSED Interview
Dec 2 ................... Made it! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 16 .................. Married
May 23, 2006 ..... TDL, EAD, AP received. . . . . . . . . June 16, 2006 ........ AOS interview - wait for FBI bkgrnd check
Apr 19, 2007 .... EAD # 2. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oct 7, 2008 ......... 10-year green card
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - K2 (son) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dec 2 ..................... AOS/EAD filed . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Dec 17 ................... 21st birthday
Jan 4, 2007 .......... transferred to CSC . . . . . . . . . . . Feb 6, 2007 ............ transferred to MSC
Feb 23 .................... EAD card . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Apr 16 .................... AOS denied (over 21)
Jul 26 .................... Master Calendar hearing . . . . . . Nov 15 ...................... Removal hearing
Jan 29, 2008 ........ Voluntary departure

Timeline
19 hours ago, flfreddy said:

Yes, my US attorney and I worked thru the I129F form together, we both didnt know she had a name in middle school.   Its when she was reading the chinese app stories then .. oh i used to have that name until middle school before my parents changed it for luck according to fortune teller... NOW YOU TELL ME!!!??? lol

Anyway I am in China with her and we went to the GONG ZHENG office and got the Previous Name Use Notary Certificate - so at least she can include in embassy interview docs, and when she declare in DS160.   All Notary certificates are in hand and waiting for case number and P3.

My attorney says to correct the mistake at DS160 rather than hide it .. honesty is key.

Fingers crossed.   K1 is only done in GUANGZHOU right? not anywhere else.  We are in NE china near N korea and have to fly there.

As usual, a great analysis of the situation by Randy. 👍  Honesty is the key, it can hang you or set you free. Sounds like you have the situation handled.

Yes, the US Consulate in Guangzhou is the only US diplomatic mission in China that does K1 visas. My family can certainly empathize with your lament about traveling to Guangzhou. My wife and stepson lived in Liaoning province, sounds like it was close to your fiancee's locale. I think that they said it was a 3-4 hour jet flight to Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport from their provincial airport. Though I was not allowed to attend the interview, I flew from Seattle to Guangzhou to provide moral support for my future family and carrying documents. However, my 11 hour flight from Seattle was late leaving, so I missed the initial connecting flight. I was stuck in Beijing for 6 hours. I finally made it to Guangzhou nine hours later. The flight was certainly worth the effort and it counted as another meeting for us.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.