delicatehooligan

Oath just before travel abroad, part II — Passport abroad?

21 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Thank you. I had seen that, but my question was more about leaving the US without my passport and if it has any legal implications. Don't want to screw up my shiny brand new citizenship right out of the gate, you know?

6 minutes ago, dilip said:

Lot of people posted in part 1, that you can get your passport in one day and during oath ceremony, the IO office will inform you the same

Yup. This is plan B if for whatever reason getting the passport in that short turnaround doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, delicatehooligan said:

Thank you. I had seen that, but my question was more about leaving the US without my passport and if it has any legal implications. Don't want to screw up my shiny brand new citizenship right out of the gate, you know?

By law you must have your passport when you leave the US. I don’t know what the legal implications are, but do you really want to test that before you actually have a passport in hand?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

By law you must have your passport when you leave the US. I don’t know what the legal implications are, but do you really want to test that before you actually have a passport in hand?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States.

Perfect. That's the piece of information I was looking for. Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I don’t know what the legal implications are

I don’t know either! And I don’t even know what “having the US passport when you leave” means because it doesn’t do anything to me. The US doesn’t have exit immigration. Every time I go back to the “old” country, this happens:

-I go to airline check-in counter to check my bags and give them my US passport. 

- “Sir, you don’t have a Vietnamese visa on your passport”

-No no no, I’m also a Vietnamese citizen, see, I also have a Vietnamese passport.

-Just give me that passport, here is your US passport back.

-Click click click type type ( obviously entering my Vietnamese passport number into the manifest). 

5 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

I don’t know either! And I don’t even know what “having the US passport when you leave” means because it doesn’t do anything to me. The US doesn’t have exit immigration. Every time I go back to the “old” country, this happens:

No, it doesn’t have exit control, but (1) they know when you leave and if you have a valid passport issued at that time, and more obviously  (2) if you arrive in London with a naturalizion certificate and ask for a passport to be issued because you left the US before you got it, it’s pretty clear you left without one.

1 hour ago, USS_Voyager said:

My point is, how, if I never present my US passport at any point when I leave the US?

You’ve never checked your online record of entry and exits? Of course they know, the airlines report it. You think they don’t link your Vietnamese passport to you as a usc?! Read again what I said, they don’t know if you present the passport, but they will know if there is a valid one in issue. And obviously you can’t re-enter without it. Or arrive at a us embassy overseas saying hey I’m a citizen but I don’t have a passport yet.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

You’ve never checked your online record of entry and exits? Of course they know, the airlines report it. You think they don’t link your Vietnamese passport to you as a usc?! Read again what I said, they don’t know if you present the passport, but they will know if there is a valid one in issue. And obviously you can’t re-enter without it. Or arrive at a us embassy overseas saying hey I’m a citizen but I don’t have a passport yet.

7 hours ago, USS_Voyager said:

-I go to airline check-in counter to check my bags and give them my US passport. 

- “Sir, you don’t have a Vietnamese visa on your passport”

-No no no, I’m also a Vietnamese citizen, see, I also have a Vietnamese passport.

-Just give me that passport, here is your US passport back.

-Click click click type type ( obviously entering my Vietnamese passport number into the manifest). 

USCs need a visa to visit Vietnam so it's a little different than going to a visa-free country, especially if you're a dual citizen. USS_Voyager gave his US passport to the airline counter without the required visa for his trip to Vietnam etc....

Now if I were a dual Filipino citizen and tried to exit using the Filipino passport to visit the Philippines, then that's a different story. But then again, I don't think that will work either since they might ask me where is my green card or US visa or something (can they report you to USCIS/CBP/ICE?). In short, there might not be no escaping using your US passport during exit unless under special circumstances... imo

Edited by xyz12345

16 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Non-issue. Otherwise most of the N-400K children would be in hot water when leaving after their short naturalization trips: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040202.html "Children Seeking Expeditious Naturalization under INA 322"

25 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Non-issue. Otherwise most of the N-400K children would be in hot water when leaving after their short naturalization trips: https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040202.html "Children Seeking Expeditious Naturalization under INA 322"

I must have missed the bit where it says they don't need a passport to exit.

Are you volunteering to accompany OP to the US embassy to explain why she left without a US passport? Yeah, it's really easy to sit on the internet and tell people to ignore what is stated as law when you don't have to worry about any potential consequences yourself,  right? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.