Kojo123

Divorce before removal of conditions

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello,

I am in a very difficult situation and any thoughts/suggestions will be very appreciated.

I was on an F1 visa. I got married in February 2018 and applied for Adjustment of status in May 2018. I was approved and granted a 2-year conditional green card in August of 2018.

We enjoyed a very good first year but things have turned sour lately. We are in constant arguing every single day and to be honest we both know getting a divorce will be the best option for both of us.

I believe we have enough evidence since the marriage was entered in good faith but I am worried what will become of my status.

Thanks!
Kojo

You’ll be fine - people get divorced all the time, and like you said you have evidence of a legit marriage

ROC Timeline

Service Center: California

90 Day Window Opened.....08/03/17

I-751 Packet Sent................08/04/17

NOA Dated...........................08/07/17

NOA Received......................08/09/17

Check Cashed......................08/09/17

Biometrics Letter Rcvd........08/26/17

Biometrics Appointment......09/07/17

Approval................................08/05/19

Naturalization Timeline

Field Office: Santa Ana, CA

90 Day Window Opened.......08/03/18

N-400 Filed (Online)..............08/03/18

Receipt Notice.......................08/03/18

Biometrics Letter Rcvd..........08/20/18

Biometrics Appointment.......09/07/18

Interview Letter Dated...........07/01/19

Interview Letter Rcvd............07/08/19

Interview................................08/05/19

Approval................................08/05/19

Oath.......................................08/22/19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

File with a Divorce Waiver, very common.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

i hope she is willing to help with your ROC when it comes due

He will not need her help. It can be done alone with a divorce waiver. (You also don't have to wait to apply for ROC, you can do it as soon as you have the divorce decree.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

i hope she is willing to help with your ROC when it comes due

What do you mean? If she is going to file with a divorce waiver and she is already in possession of the evidence of a bona fide marriage, what help would he need from his ex?

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Effects of Major Family Changes, from ROC - As similar thread are discussed here.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

1 hour ago, Kojo123 said:

I believe we have enough evidence since the marriage was entered in good faith but I am worried what will become of my status.

Don't worry, it's fairly common. Lots of people get divorced. What important is you entered the marriage in good faith, which sounds like you did. So you can file for divorce. Keep all the evidence that you can. You are still a lawful permanent resident. After you have final divorce decree, you file ROC. You remain lawful permanent resident the whole time until they adjudicate the I-751. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Usually that is a different term for the same process.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 8/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, Kojo123 said:

Hello,

I am in a very difficult situation and any thoughts/suggestions will be very appreciated.

I was on an F1 visa. I got married in February 2018 and applied for Adjustment of status in May 2018. I was approved and granted a 2-year conditional green card in August of 2018.

We enjoyed a very good first year but things have turned sour lately. We are in constant arguing every single day and to be honest we both know getting a divorce will be the best option for both of us.

Thanks!
Kojo

You are good, this is very common. I am doing it myself.

One question because I am so curious, HOW DID YOU GET APPROVED in 3 months for 2 year? I'm just having a hard time understanding that. People wait 1.3years. Does it depend on what state you live in?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, PolarPear said:

You are good, this is very common. I am doing it myself.

One question because I am so curious, HOW DID YOU GET APPROVED in 3 months for 2 year? I'm just having a hard time understanding that. People wait 1.3years. Does it depend on what state you live in?

Thanks! 

I think it depends your local office. If a local office receives a lot of applications wait times tend to be longer. Most people who filed through my local office get the conditional GC within 3 months. 

I am in same situation if we did not any documents as a couple like bank account, lease , because in my case we were living in her mom house and everything was on her mom name, but marriage was for good faith i have all pictures, of wedding people who attended the weeding even i can get affidavte from them what do u think what else should i do ? because at the time of our green card interview we told them that we  r living in her mom house due to finance problem i was not working she was studying yet so what suggestion do u give me thank you very much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.