aceegreene

Proof of Domicile, Multiple Queries!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

This is my first time here on Visajourney and I have a bunch of questions, hope to get some guidance from you all. My wife petitioned for my US immigration (she is a USC) and our I130 has been approved. At the NVC stage, we have to prove her domicile, which is proving complicated.

She entered the USA for her studies and had a permanent address (say ABC) of her uncle's, which she maintains to date. During her time there, she moved to a different address (say XYZ) and lived there for the remaining duration of studies. Her voter ID, naturalization certificate, state ID and Driver License (last two are expired at this stage) all have XYZ. While bank account only has ABC. During this time she got her citizenship. Then she came to Pakistan and lived there for 3 years. Then went back again to USA for grad school for 1.5 years. During this time, she did not change permanent address, did not renew any of her IDs or file taxes (wasn't earning anything so exempt from filing too). After that she came back to Pakistan and we got married in late 2017 and we have been in Pakistan since. 

Now I have searched for documents that prove domicile for USCs living abroad temporarily and the popular ones are: 

1. US Driver License

2. US Voter Registration ID

3. US Bank Account (statement or letter)

4. Tax Transcript

5. Proof of permanent address

Out of these, we have Bank account (which can also provide proof of permanent address), tax transcript from 2018 which shows our Pakistani address as mailing address because she filed from here and the voter registration ID (with address XYZ, which is not her permanent address). 

Now my questions are:

1. Can we use this voter registration ID (address different than permanent address) as evidence of domicile?

2. Can we renew state ID online with the permanent address from Pakistan?

3. What other documents (if any) can we use to prove domicile?

4. Or, at this stage it is better to show intention of re-establishing domicile, instead of proving domicile? I believe the former is more difficult.

All this has gotten me quite anxious, your help is much appreciated, thank you in advance!

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 8/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, aceegreene said:

Or, at this stage it is better to show intention of re-establishing domicile, instead of proving domicile? I believe the former is more difficult.

After reading my situation above, can someone answer only if in this situation it’s better to show intent to re-establish domicile or prove domicile as temporarily living abroad? 

I have gotten answers to the remaining questions. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The petitioner living abroad should show evidence of the intent to re-establish domicile in the USA.  That she petitioned for you is very good evidence.  Looks like you have plenty of evidence in addition to that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
5 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The petitioner living abroad should show evidence of the intent to re-establish domicile in the USA.  That she petitioned for you is very good evidence.  Looks like you have plenty of evidence in addition to that.

Thanks pushbrk for your prompt and helpful response, as always. 

One follow-up, I understand that the narratives for intent to re-establish domicile and proving domicile while abroad will be different. But does the answer to her I-864’s country of domicile question change from USA to Pakistan in this case?

Edited by aceegreene

Timeline
3 hours ago, aceegreene said:

Thanks pushbrk for your prompt and helpful response, as always. 

One follow-up, I understand that the narratives for intent to re-establish domicile and proving domicile while abroad will be different. But does the answer to her I-864’s country of domicile question change from USA to Pakistan in this case?

I would state she's domiciled in the US, particularly if you are going to stay first at her parents' home.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

I would state she's domiciled in the US, particularly if you are going to stay first at her parents' home.

Great, thanks! We are going to stay at my brother’s place though. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, aceegreene said:

Great, thanks! We are going to stay at my brother’s place though. 

Then just indicate that as the immigrant's intended address.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.