DSOTM1973

What is Physical Address if we are living apart due to employement?

13 posts in this topic

Me and my wife lives temporary apart due to employment and school. My wife (USC) maintain her state residency, and license at our home even tho she works out of state as she visit regularly, so I was wondering which home address should be her physical location? 

We are writing an explanation for the living situation, and I was planning to use our home address as a physical location for both, and add the second address in the back (extra pages after the forms) as I got my name on the utilities there, and wife got her name on the lease, so I was wondering if the right move?

It is just the other location is temporary, and my wife got no legal documents connect her to the other home other than the lease.

Thank you for the insight 

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
24 minutes ago, DSOTM1973 said:

Me and my wife lives temporary apart due to employment and school. My wife (USC) maintain her state residency, and license at our home even tho she works out of state as she visit regularly, so I was wondering which home address should be her physical location? 

We are writing an explanation for the living situation, and I was planning to use our home address as a physical location for both, and add the second address in the back (extra pages after the forms) as I got my name on the utilities there, and wife got her name on the lease, so I was wondering if the right move?

It is just the other location is temporary, and my wife got no legal documents connect her to the other home other than the lease.

The lease is a legal document.

What exactly are you filing for?  ROC?  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, DSOTM1973 said:

Correct, ROC

Physical address is where you physically live and work.  Yours is your home, hers is where she’s staying.

Unwise at this stage to have separate addresses.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 8/25/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nitas_man said:

Physical address is where you physically live and work.  Yours is your home, hers is where she’s staying.

Unwise at this stage to have separate addresses.

Not unwise.  Cannot be helped.  This often happens with people in school, or who have to go out of town to work.

OP, where does the petitioner (the one going through the ROC) get mail?  What do you and your spouse consider your "permanent" home?  You can have a regular address and a mailing address.  If you explain why you are living apart, you should have little trouble.

Best of luck.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

It is unwise.  

Mailing address can be anywhere.  Regretfully physical address is physical location of where one lives and works.

Sham marriages where a couple makes a deal, beneficiary arrives, and goes his/her own way are exactly what ROC is for.  OP and spouse need to tread very, very carefully here.  It’s a huge flag.  Advice not to minimize it.

Edited by Nitas_man

6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

It is unwise.  

Mailing address can be anywhere.  Regretfully physical address is physical location of where one lives and works.

Sham marriages where a couple makes a deal, beneficiary arrives, and goes his/her own way are exactly what ROC is for.  OP and spouse need to tread very, very carefully here.  It’s a huge flag.  Advice not to minimize it.

As I mentioned, we are disclosing the current living situation in a letter, and how it is going to last for at least one more year. As well, we are sending our W2's which clearly shows that my wife current job is out of town per her employer's address. 

We are not trying to minimize it, it is just all our government legal document is under our home address, regardless my wife's physical location. It is just gray area since my wife could be at either location at any point; that being said, what we consider home, is our home, but she is not physically there 100% of the time.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, DSOTM1973 said:

As I mentioned, we are disclosing the current living situation in a letter, and how it is going to last for at least one more year. As well, we are sending our W2's which clearly shows that my wife current job is out of town per her employer's address. 

We are not trying to minimize it, it is just all our government legal document is under our home address, regardless my wife's physical location. It is just gray area since my wife could be at either location at any point; that being said, what we consider home, is our home, but she is not physically there 100% of the time.

My post was to Sukie.  

Your home would be “mailing address”.  

“Physical address” is her work/school apartment where she probably spends 80+% of her time (and holds a lease).

Make sure you have a very strong case.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On ‎08‎-‎25‎-‎2019 at 10:42 PM, Nitas_man said:

My post was to Sukie.  

Your home would be “mailing address”.  

“Physical address” is her work/school apartment where she probably spends 80+% of her time (and holds a lease).

Make sure you have a very strong case.

I agree, at least a case in my town that I know, husband and wife live separately due to work, and this raised a big flag to USCIS. They interviewed the couple and had them show all the call/message history to show daily communication, the interview was tense, the interviewer also tricked the husband (US Citizen) by telling him the consequences of entering into marriage to get a green card.... I would say be prepared to have as much good evidence as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Vicent Ha said:

I agree, at least a case in my town that I know, husband and wife live separately due to work, and this raised a big flag to USCIS. They interviewed the couple and had them show all the call/message history to show daily communication, the interview was tense, the interviewer also tricked the husband (US Citizen) by telling him the consequences of entering into marriage to get a green card.... I would say be prepared to have as much good evidence as possible. 

We are. I printed the call logs for the past 19 months (Verizon limit) , which shows nothing but my wife's number. Surprisingly we talk about 15-20 times a day PLUS the FaceTime which is not even in the logs :)...

Plus, the materialistic evidence like we took couple of trips while living apart in a way where we leave from different airports, but arrive at the same time along with joint hotel receipts and pics. Plus all the leases, bank statements, bills, healthcare, Taxes, even state taxes, W2, Investing Accounts, yada yada yada...

I don't think we have a shortage for evidence per say, it was just that point of the physical address which people seems to disagree on. Overall, the best legal definition I heard was, YOU get to determine which home you consider a physical address for you since there is no clear criteria.

Even though I don't think we need it, I'll probably drop the package to an attorney to assemble it, just give me a good peace of mind since this process is so stressful.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 minute ago, DSOTM1973 said:

We are. I printed the call logs for the past 19 months (Verizon limit) , which shows nothing but my wife's number. Surprisingly we talk about 15-20 times a day PLUS the FaceTime which is not even in the logs :)...

Plus, the materialistic evidence like we took couple of trips while living apart in a way where we leave from different airports, but arrive at the same time along with joint hotel receipts and pics. Plus all the leases, bank statements, bills, healthcare, Taxes, even state taxes, W2, Investing Accounts, yada yada yada...

I don't think we have a shortage for evidence per say, it was just that point of the physical address which people seems to disagree on. Overall, the best legal definition I heard was, YOU get to determine which home you consider a physical address for you since there is no clear criteria.

Even though I don't think we need it, I'll probably drop the package to an attorney to assemble it, just give me a good peace of mind since this process is so stressful.

I understand, and it seems you already have good amount of evidence, and as long as your marriage is bona fide, you two should be ok. Best of luck in your journey.

On 8/24/2019 at 7:53 PM, DSOTM1973 said:

DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THIS PEOPLE THAT ARE CONFUSING YOU ABOUT THIS ADDRESS THING......

I was in the EXACT same situation as you.... We used only one address and explained our living condition and why we were living apart and my job allowing me one week off every month to go see my wife. 

Do not put more than one address It will confuse the immigration officer.

I still got approved with no RFE nor interview 

I have submitted the following 

+ A cover letter  explaining EXACTLY our living condition. I did not try to hide anything. 

+ A letter from my contract with my employer specifying that, I will be off work 1 week every month to go see my wife.

+ Bunch of notice of assignments in different states ( Arizona, Utah, Texas,Virginia etc...😓😓😓) I have been moving all over this country and still is. 

+ Joint Lease (Only one address)

+ BUNCH of plane tickets showing that I have been visiting my wife and vise versa

+ Joint Insurances (medical dental and vision) and medical bills showing we are both using the insurance.

+ Live insurance policy showing that my wife will be beneficiary if anything happens to me

+ Utility Bills

+ Tax (Filed as married but filed separately)

+Bunch of credit cards statements.

I didn't bother sending joint bank account statements since my wife is the only one using that bank account. 

I didn't BOTHER sending this people pictures. . 

That's my story, I hope this will help somebody. Good luck guy, stay strong and have faith.

PS: I did not apply for citizenship

Edited by khalifa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.