jeanita68

Step child parent not wanting child to go to US

118 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Andy & Val said:

I know of a situation like what you just suggested above.

Needless to say it didn't end well.

It resulted in a corpse and a jail sentence.

That might have been one of the few extreme cases, but DO NOT mess with a mother's

love for her child.

She's going to fight you with the fangs of a wolf and the claws of a dragon just to protect her own.

Yes I can understand that, we are heart broken and so is his daughter, she is so close and attached to her father, he has her so spoiled. Now she will not have a father or a mother in her life full time. She hasn’t seen her mother in 2 yrs. she is about to be 10 so she is going to that age where she needs her mother, n now to lose her father too. I told my husband to just let it go. We jus try to bring her for vacation if we can. He will go and talk to a lawyer on Monday to see if anything he can do legally 

2 minutes ago, jeanita68 said:

Yes I know I said that early on.. that I wouldn’t let my kid go either. But that child is so attached to her father. Now she will not have a father or a mother full time. She was so excited and happy to be coming live with us. All she been doing is crying she doesn’t want to lose her father. It’s breaking my heart. She hasn’t seen her mother in 2yrs. But my husband and I just talk and I told him. Let it go we will just visit when we can and try to bring her for a summer vacation. She has another child that left to US with her father many years ago (11yrs) and hasn’t seen that child since.

Your husband should have discussed it with the mother prior to filing and ESPECIALLY prior to telling his daughter that she could come with him. As much as I understand that it is frustrating that mom does not want to cooperate, she has parental rights.. This sadness is not all mom's doing...

I think you are doing the right thing now by having her visit and I hope things will work out for you all in the end..

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

This is a DR domestic problem.  Your husband needs to get a court order allowing his child to immigrate.

If you take the child without the mother's permission or a court order, you will be committing several crimes.  Don't do it.  This includes trying to adjust status while the child is on vacation in the US.  Just don't go there because your husband could be jailed and deported for kidnapping his own child.

1 minute ago, Daphne K said:

Your husband should have discussed it with the mother prior to filing and ESPECIALLY prior to telling his daughter that she could come with him. As much as I understand that it is frustrating that mom does not want to cooperate, she has parental rights.. This sadness is not all mom's doing...

I think you are doing the right thing now by having her visit and I hope things will work out for you all in the end..

We did discuss it with her and she said ok, but our case took almost 2yrs so maybe she thought my husband wasn’t going. When he told her mother he got the visa and leaving soon but will be back by Christmas for the child the grandmother called her daughter and then she says no she can’t go. She can go for vacation, but how do we get a visitor visa, I’m sure they will not approve that

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

This is a DR domestic problem.  Your husband needs to get a court order allowing his child to immigrate.

If you take the child without the mother's permission or a court order, you will be committing several crimes.  Don't do it.  This includes trying to adjust status while the child is on vacation in the US.  Just don't go there because your husband could be jailed and deported for kidnapping his own child.

Yeah I agree I would try get a court order under the circumstances, it’s not like the child is living with the mother. Mother says she can only visit the child in the US, well that’s all she’s doing now anyway, visiting the child anyway? So what’s the difference?

Whatever is done make sure it’s legal and above board.

4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Yes..we understand that and we will not take her.. if the mother wants her to be there with out her father the only patient she knows, then ok. We will try to just visit, or if they give the child a visitor visa. He wants to go see a lawyer on Monday to see if getting custody is an option 

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yeah I agree I would try get a court order under the circumstances, it’s not like the child is living with the mother. Mother says she can only visit the child in the US, well that’s all she’s doing now anyway, visiting the child anyway? So what’s the difference?

Whatever is done make sure it’s legal and above board.

Yes. She says the child can only visit us in the US, but can’t live with us, but the mother lives in another country. And she only comes to DR sees the child like every 2 yrs on average. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Does the Mother have a US Visa?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Just now, Nitas_man said:

Money talks

Yup

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 minutes ago, jeanita68 said:

We did discuss it with her and she said ok, but our case took almost 2yrs so maybe she thought my husband wasn’t going. When he told her mother he got the visa and leaving soon but will be back by Christmas for the child the grandmother called her daughter and then she says no she can’t go. She can go for vacation, but how do we get a visitor visa, I’m sure they will not approve that

I don't think a verbal consent would have been enough anyway, at some point a written consent would have been necessary I think.

But trying to get sole custody would be a route to go, not sure how the law works in the DR. Here in The Netherlands it would be very hard to take away parental rights only based upon the fact that the child does not live with the parent or the parent lives in a different country. Unless the parent has drug/mental illness issues, is abusive in any proven way, or in case of serious neglect, will the judge consider taking away parental rights. 

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you will not have to take it that far and that all will work out well...Maybe it will only take a little more time for mom to come to terms with it, who knows.. 🤞🏻

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
34 minutes ago, jeanita68 said:

She has another child that left to US with her father many years ago (11yrs) and hasn’t seen that child since.

Maybe she learned her lesson from the first experience and is trying to do things differently this time?

Who knows!

4 minutes ago, Andy & Val said:

Maybe she learned her lesson from the first experience and is trying to do things differently this time?

Who knows!

Maybe. But I wish she wouldn’t leave the child for so many years at a time. Since the child was 2 she seen her only 3 times for 2-3 week visit 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.