10 posts in this topic

Hi I entered the U.S. when I was a young child with my mom and stepdad. My mom is a citizen and my stepdad is a permanent resident. I am about to be 18 in a month and am unsure of the process I would have to go through to at least get a green card or some type of documentation so I could work. I am out of high school and plan to move out soon so being able to work is important. I'm pretty sure I came here through illegal entry and I know that lessens my options. I plan to marry my girlfriend soon (unrelated to this) and was also wondering how that would affect it. My parents are very slack on my immigration issue so I am trying to take matters into my own hands. Any advice is welcome.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, nape21 said:

Hi I entered the U.S. when I was a young child with my mom and stepdad. My mom is a citizen and my stepdad is a permanent resident. I am about to be 18 in a month and am unsure of the process I would have to go through to at least get a green card or some type of documentation so I could work. I am out of high school and plan to move out soon so being able to work is important. I'm pretty sure I came here through illegal entry and I know that lessens my options. I plan to marry my girlfriend soon (unrelated to this) and was also wondering how that would affect it. My parents are very slack on my immigration issue so I am trying to take matters into my own hands. Any advice is welcome.

First question is on what basis (visa) did you arrive and when?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Also how did your mother become a USC? Was she born in the US, did she naturalize, born abroad to USC parents (your grandparents)? 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

First question is on what basis (visa) did you arrive and when?

I don't know what visa I arrived on, I think I snuck in without one and in 2005 or 2006 I believe

1 minute ago, Ontarkie said:

Also how did your mother become a USC? Was she born in the US, did she naturalize, born abroad to USC parents (your grandparents)? 

she was naturalized when she was 18, I was 2 at the time

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, nape21 said:

I don't know what visa I arrived on, I think I snuck in without one and in 2005 or 2006 I believe

So you potentially entered without inspection.   This is not good news

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, nape21 said:

she was naturalized when she was 18, I was 2 at the time

Ok so no automatic citizenship for you :( 

Try to dig up how you came to the US. Even just a visitor would change how the steps.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

So you potentially entered without inspection.   This is not good news

yeah, I researched a bit on my own and saw I could file a form to essentially ask for forgiveness and prove hardship would be caused on a citizen if I were to be banned from the U.S. but that is difficult to prove I've heard. And if I get married to my girlfriend and file for it that way, I would have to improvise on ways to provide which is the main reason i'm trying to file everything now

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well first you need to find out how you entered.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

GO SEE AN IMMIGRATION LAWYER TODAY.  

You are a minor.  Once you turn 18, you are an adult.

As a minor you do not accrue days of unlawful presence.  You will start accruing days of unlawful presence once you turn 18.

USC mom should file you ASAP.  

GO SEE A COMPETENT IMMIGRATION LAWYER TODAY!

If you leave the US without getting a ban, your USC mother can file for you and you'll be back here with a green card within a year.  If she had done this a year or two ago, you would have entered before 18 and be a USC yourself.  

Your mother has been a USC for 16 years and she has done nothing to get you legal.  This is just plain bad when it was easy to make you legal.  Once you turn 18 and accrue days of unlawful presence, it's going to be much harder.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.