Irneh889

Worried because of Engagement Party (Albania)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

Hello,

I am about to submit the Fiance Visa application and I just found out that if you have an engagement party it could be seen as a wedding ceremony.  It has made me very worried.

My fiancee and I had an engagement party where I was dressed in a suit and she in a nice dress (not a traditional wedding dress but it was a very nice light purple/pinkish and made a statement).

All of our close relatives where there as this was the only time in the next few years when her close relatives and mine could get together.  That day in the morning we also had the traditional "going to the fiancee's house".  We exchanged rings.  I thought only I would give her a ring but she had also bought me one; it was a nice surprise). 

My question is to other fellow Albanians who have gone through this process.  Is this something I should be worried about? Has anyone done this and successfully received their K-1 visa? Or would they look at it as a wedding ceremony at the consulate, even though that was not our intent? 

Thank you

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Well just don't send in pictures that could be interpreted as a wedding?? You get to choose what evidence you give them. Now they could investigate your social media accounts and that is common in some countries I believe, but most likely if you don't show them pictures that look like a wedding they won't have any reason to believe you had a wedding. I hope that makes sense.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Well just don't send in pictures that could be interpreted as a wedding?? You get to choose what evidence you give them. Now they could investigate your social media accounts and that is common in some countries I believe, but most likely if you don't show them pictures that look like a wedding they won't have any reason to believe you had a wedding. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Thomas, I thought of that and I'm not going to send any pictures but then I thought if I mention that we had a party (as evidence of intent of marriage), they might ask for pictures either as an RFE or at the interview. If I don't mention it and they ask if we had a party and want pictures, then when they see the pictures they might get the same idea...plus, they may ask why I didn't mention it in the application since it's evidence of intent to marry.  I don't know... I'm very confused. 

It can be an issue.

It might not be an issue.

Best to do at this point - IMHO - is not mention it unless asked.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Irneh889 said:

Thanks Thomas, I thought of that and I'm not going to send any pictures but then I thought if I mention that we had a party (as evidence of intent of marriage), they might ask for pictures either as an RFE or at the interview. If I don't mention it and they ask if we had a party and want pictures, then when they see the pictures they might get the same idea...plus, they may ask why I didn't mention it in the application since it's evidence of intent to marry.  I don't know... I'm very confused. 

Why would you mention it in the intent to marry.  Do you know how simple the language can be?  Just use the VJ sample language.   Its worked for thousands 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

Do not mention it. Its common practice in albanian families to have engagement parties and not marriage as thats a different type of ceremony.

Timeline

Thank you for the advice everyone.  I will follow the VJ guide and keep it short and simple and I will have my fiancee take pictures with her to the embassy in case they ask.  And yes, it is true in Albania engagement parties are common. I just got scared reading all the posts with issues.  

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi! My fiance is Albanian and he successfully made it to the US with the K1 visa. My advice is to use the written example  for intent to marry as everyone said. However I would definitely  have your fiance provide photos of your engagement when you submit your documentation (As I did in mine ) On the back of the photo I listed the date and names of people in attentance and the occasion. I used this as proof of intent to marry and of proof of ongoing relationship ( photos with her family are always a good idea).

Do not worry about that engagement party being perceived as a marriage ceremony because in order to prove that  you would need the court paperwork and anyone living in Albania should know engagement parties are typical . You are a real couple! Just remember that you have nothing to hide and you will do great!

1 hour ago, Engaged18 said:

Do not worry about that engagement party being perceived as a marriage ceremony because in order to prove that  you would need the court paperwork

The issue is the CO does not need to prove anything. It falls on the applicant to demonstrate that they do qualify for the benefit being sought, not the CO to show otherwise.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.