4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Really upset as my lawyer just called and told me I need a birth certificate that shows my mother and fathers name on it. I am from Canada and I’ve never had a birth certificate with my mothers and fathers name on it, i got approved for my K1 visa without my mother’s and fathers name on my birth certificate. Has anyone got approved for the green card without their mother’s and fathers name on their birth certificate?

* Moved from AOS Progress Reports to AOS P&P *

I'm unaware of any requirement to show both parents on a BC (many people don't have such a thing as the father is unknown). I'm assuming they are referring to a long form birth certificate (with spots for both). Montreal has a habit recently of incorrectly accepting the short form only, which then comes up during AOS.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Canada.html

Birth

Births are registered in the Canadian provinces or territory in which they took place. Though each province or territory issues its own certificates for these events, there are a few basic formats for them across Canada:

• The "small" or "short form" certificate is a computer-printed, limited extract of information from provincial records. It is a wallet-sized card, 9.5 x 6.4 cm or 2.5 x 3.75in (Specimen from British Columbia). Short-form or small certificates are not acceptable for visa purposes because they do not contain enough identification information, such as parents' names.
  • The "large" or "full-size" certificate is a computer-printed extract of information from provincial records. It is printed on currency-style paper stock, 21.6 x 17.8 cm or 7 x 8.25 in., with an intaglio border (Specimen from British Columbia).
  • A "certified copy of a record" is an exact or near-exact copy of the actual paper record in the provincial archives. It is printed on safety paper, usually 21.5 x 28 cm or 8.5 x 14in., and bears the province or territory's raised seal. This type of certificate, being a complete record rather than an extract, contains the most information about the event.
  • A "commemorative" certificate is a decorative document intended for display (Specimen from Manitoba). Commemorative certificates are not considered legal documents in Canada and are not acceptable for visa purposes.

Note: For cases in which the subject of a birth record was adopted, see "Adoption Records" below.

Not all provinces and territories issue all of the formats noted above. Province-and-territory specific information on obtaining acceptable birth, marriage, death, and name change certificates is as follows:

• Alberta: Applicants should obtain "large sized" certificates or certified photocopies of a registration from Alberta Vital Statistics through a private Alberta Registry Agent. Further information, including names and locations of Registry Agents, is available online.
    Note: For marriages in Alberta, the certificate torn off the marriage license and given to the couple at the conclusion of the ceremony confirms that the marriage took place, but is not a legal documents. Applicants must obtain a marriage certificate or certified copy of marriage record from Alberta Vital Statistics.
  • British Columbia: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copes of a registration from the Vital Statistics Agency, which has offices in Vancouver (605 Robson Street, Room 250, tel: 604-660-2937) and Victoria (818 Fort Street, tel: 250-952-2681). Large certificates are also available through Government Agents located across the province. Further information, including locations of other Vital Statistics offices, names and located of Government Agents, and mail-order instructions, is available online.
  • Manitoba: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies from the Vital Statistics Agency in Winnipeg (254 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, 204-945-3701). Further information, including mail-order instructions, is available online.
  • New Brunswick: Applicants should obtain "long-form certified copies" of records from the Vital Statistics Office in Fredericton (435 King Street, Suite 203, tel: 506-453-2385). Further information, including mail-order instructions, is available online.
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: Applicants should obtain "long-form certificates" from the Vital Statistics Division in St. John's (5 Mews Place, tel: 709-729-3308) or at Government Service Centers located throughout the province. Further information, including locations and mail-order instructions, is available online.
  • Northwest Territories: Applicants should obtain "framing" or "restricted photocopy" certificates from the Registrar General of Vital Statistics in Inuvik Office of the Department of Health and Social Services (tel: 867-777-7420). Applicants may also write to: Registrar General of Vital Statistics, Government of the NWT, Bag 9 (107 MacKenzie Road/IDC Building, second floor), Inuvik, NT, X0A 0T0 (fax: 867-777-3197).
  • Nova Scotia: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from Vital Statistics Office in Halifax (Joseph Howe Building, 1690 Hollis Street., ground floor, tel:902-424-4381). Further information, including instructions for ordering online or by mail, is available online.
  • Nunavut: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Vital Statistics Division, which is based out of the Kivalliq Regional Office of the Department of Health and Social Services (tel:867-645-2171). Applicants may also write to: Social Services, Bag 3 RSO Building, Rankin Inlet, NU, X0C 0G0 (fax: 867-645-2580).
    Note: Nunavut was part of the Northwest Territories until April 1, 1999. Before that, all births, marriages, deaths, and name changes that occurred in the present Nunavut region would have been registered with the Northwest Territories Registrar General of Vital Statistics.
  • Ontario: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Office of the Registrar General in Toronto (Macdonald Block, 900 Bay Street, second floor, tel: 416-325-8305) or at Ontario Land Registry Offices and Government Information Centers located throughout the province. Further information, including locations and information on ordering by mail is available online.
    Note: For marriages in Ontario, the certificate torn off the marriage license and given to the couple at the conclusion of the ceremony confirms that the marriage took place, but is not a legal document. Applicants must obtain a marriage certificate or certified copy of marriage record from the Office of the Registrar General.
  • Prince Edward Island: Applicants should obtain "framing size" certificates from the Office of Vital Statistics in Montague (126 Douses Road, tel:902-838-0080) or Charlottetown (16 Garfield Street, tel:902-368-6185). Further information, including mail-order instructions, is available online.
  • Quebec: Applicants should obtain "certified copies of an act" from the Direction de l' Etat Civil in Montreal (2050, rue de Bleury, sixth floor, tel:514-864-3900) or the Directeur de l'Etat Civil in Quebec City (2535, boulevard Laurier, Ground Floor, Sainte-Foy, tel:418-643-3900; fax:418-646-3255). Further information, including other locations and information on ordering by mail is available online.
  • Saskatchewan: Applicants should obtain "frame" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Vital Statistics Office in Regina (1942 Hamilton Street, tel:306-787-3251).
  • Yukon Territory: Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Vital Statistics Agency in Whitehorse (204 Lambert Street, fourth floor, tel: 867-667-5207) or a Yukon Territorial Agent. Further information, including mail-order instructions, is available online.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are from Ontario, you can request an expedite.

I did it when my lawyer requested a long-form birth certificate when he was preparing to file my I130. I think I was able to get it the next week.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dana smiderle said:

Really upset as my lawyer just called and told me I need a birth certificate that shows my mother and fathers name on it. I am from Canada and I’ve never had a birth certificate with my mothers and fathers name on it, i got approved for my K1 visa without my mother’s and fathers name on my birth certificate. Has anyone got approved for the green card without their mother’s and fathers name on their birth certificate?

And the costs associated with correcting the lawyer's service failure should be deducted from your bill.:bonk:

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.