NewKid

Moving States, N400 to be delayed or sped up?

4 posts in this topic

I applied for my n400 back in November of 2018, my FO is Santa Ana, CA. Currently the estimated completion date is October 2019, and estimated wait time is 20 days. ( not sure what the difference is) However,  my wife and I are moving to another state, Massachusetts to be specific. and we are leaving next Saturday ( 24th of August) as I start my new job the week after. Got a great opportunity to work for an incredible company and not to mention all of my wife's family lives in Mass.( reason we were going to move anyway) Does anyone know what the process is after we complete the AR 11 ( be it mail or online ) for the address change, if my case gets placed in the back of the queue again or if I technically "don't lose my place in line" in the new field office, which would be Boston. I have noticed that the Boston FO is currently working on cases for April of 2019.

Just trying to gauge if I am in for a longer wait time or if this move might actually speed things up.

Thanks everyone

applied for N400 whilst I751 was pending, however I751 was approved without an interview on Jan 10th /11th

N-400 applied Online: 11/7/18

BIO for N400 : 11/30/18

EST. Case Completion: October 2019) of 7/15/19 

INTERVIEW: 10/7/2019- APPROVED

OATH DATE: 10/24/2019-  received oath letter in the mail on 10/11 

LOCAL OFFICE: BOSTON ( moved from California (SANTA ANA, CA) )

Filed: Timeline

It significantly decreased the processing time for the VJer below but then again he moved right after biometrics. So even if Boston is fast and has an average of 100 days between biometrics and interview, and 35 days between interview and oath, you could be lucky enough to get an interview notice before the one month mark after moving. And if not, I hope you'll be finished by December of this year --  just my opinion.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/679882-n400-move-to-different-state-right-after-biometrics/

On 8/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, NewKid said:

I applied for my n400 back in November of 2018, my FO is Santa Ana, CA. Currently the estimated completion date is October 2019, and estimated wait time is 20 days. ( not sure what the difference is) However,  my wife and I are moving to another state, Massachusetts to be specific. and we are leaving next Saturday ( 24th of August) as I start my new job the week after. Got a great opportunity to work for an incredible company and not to mention all of my wife's family lives in Mass.( reason we were going to move anyway) Does anyone know what the process is after we complete the AR 11 ( be it mail or online ) for the address change, if my case gets placed in the back of the queue again or if I technically "don't lose my place in line" in the new field office, which would be Boston. I have noticed that the Boston FO is currently working on cases for April of 2019.

Just trying to gauge if I am in for a longer wait time or if this move might actually speed things up.

Thanks everyone

I believe cases are processed on a "filed date" basis. I know it can take some time to transfer a case from one office to another, but once Boston has it, it should move fairly quickly. As to whether or not it'll be faster than October, hard to tell how long the transfer will take but I wouldn't get my hopes up tooo high.

Welcome to Massachusetts! 

Married 4/12/18
Mailed AOS Packet (485, 131, 130, 130a, 864, 765) 4/9/19
Packet Delivered to Chicago Lockbox 4/12/19
NOA1 for i-130, 765, 131, 485: 4/19/19
Biometrics Notice: 4/26/19
Biometrics appointment 5/14/19
Notice For Interview 5/21/19
693 completed: 6/25/19 (appointment was 6/21/19, civil surgeon needed time to process)
Interview: 6/25/19
Approved: 6/25/19 (online case status lists new card is being produced)
GC in hand: 7/2/19

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, muricafyeah said:

I believe cases are processed on a "filed date" basis. I know it can take some time to transfer a case from one office to another, but once Boston has it, it should move fairly quickly. As to whether or not it'll be faster than October, hard to tell how long the transfer will take but I wouldn't get my hopes up tooo high.

Welcome to Massachusetts! 

Thank you.

I appreciate the welcome! :-)

Hopefully it doesn't drag on too long, as I would really like to have this done before winter.

applied for N400 whilst I751 was pending, however I751 was approved without an interview on Jan 10th /11th

N-400 applied Online: 11/7/18

BIO for N400 : 11/30/18

EST. Case Completion: October 2019) of 7/15/19 

INTERVIEW: 10/7/2019- APPROVED

OATH DATE: 10/24/2019-  received oath letter in the mail on 10/11 

LOCAL OFFICE: BOSTON ( moved from California (SANTA ANA, CA) )

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.