Rosario77

Selection processes in the USA?

19 posts in this topic

Timeline
Hello,
I have doubts about how the selection processes work in the USA.
I have applied for several positions in different states and companies.
I follow them through the company web pages and I have seen that some have rejected but the rest
appear under consideration or review.
My question is. How long does it take to give an answer? Are the selection processes so long?
Thank you very much for your comments.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I assume you are talking about job applications....

It works like as you experienced. Some companies are never going to respond. Most of the resumes are parsed with a software which looks for keywords in the resume. If didnt find an X percentage it wont even show it to a human. That is why important to tailor your resume based on the job description.

If you are authorized to work in the US without employer sponsorship, try to put that in your resume or cover letter stating that you don't require visa sponsorship. 

Be sure your resume is no longer than 1, max 2 pages. Highlight more your recent relevant  jobs (e.g what your responsibilities were), and just mention the others.

From a perspective as a hiring manager in a large corporation.  If I post an external opportunity I normally have to leave it open for 2-4 weeks per HR. I have a choice to review all resumes or have the computer scan for keywords and only send me relevant ones. 

if I don’t have enough qualified candidates then the posting remains open for successive 2 week periods. 

Once I have 3-5 candidates I move to interview stage.  We do structured interviews so I need myself, HR, another manager and an employee from the group I’m hiring for to be available to schedule interviews. Generally adds a few weeks given everyone’s schedules. 

If if I get a good candidate post interview it takes HR 10-14 days to generate an offer. 

Once an an offer is accepted then all the non offered applications get changed to no longer under review. We don’t status them before offer accepted as we may have to reach back in that first not selected pool if we can’t find a good candidate through initial screening. 

Process generally takes 60 days plus another 30 to onboard the accepted candidate. This is a big company burdened by lots of cumbersome processes.  Smaller companies likely more agile.   

Timeline

I think this is pretty typical - remember applying through the company website is only one way to get hired - I sometimes notice jobs listed on Linkedin that have 200+ applicants!

I would network with people in your industry - maybe through a trade group or career-oriented mixers. Get to know people - often it is about "who you know" to get your foot in the door

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 hours ago, Bettie Page said:

network with people in your industry - maybe through a trade group or career-oriented mixers. Get to know people - often it is about "who you know"

The above is excellent advice.

Further to the above:  Try this idea, previously posted by the member Darnell:
---
Each city has a chamber of commerce. Find it.

Once you find it - talk with the secretary - tell her you want a schedule of events and let her know you'd like to attend.

Then - go in person to the Chamber of Commerce Office - talk with the President of the Chamber, tell him/her you want to volunteer at several of their events.

Attendees at chamber events are business owners and sales geeks, all looking for new business.  It usually is an informal-enough gathering where you can approach people and talk with them.

Now, the cool thing about being a volunteer there - is that you will be talking to everyone at least once - you might be at the reception table, you might be at the greeters table, you might help to run the audio/video system - whatever - but - the point is that you can meet everyone there, face to face.

Attend 2 or 3 of these, and folk remember you. When folk remember you, they will remember you are seeking employment and will consider you, because you're just not some name on a piece of paper - they met you at a chamber event and know that you were volunteering, helping out the chamber.

Go Get Em, and Good Luck!

PS - live in a really small town? go to the biggest town that's within 15 miles of your house.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.

I recently had the permanent residence due to marriage and I am trying to get a job before going to the US.
I am indutrial engineer with many years of experience.

I have been applying for a job for a month and a half and at the moment I have not had any response.

Some of my applications have been rejected but most are still under review.

I hope to get lucky...

Thanks....

Timeline

I think you may get a better response when you are actually physically present in the US - if you are an industrial engineer maybe look at getting your credentials assessed so they can be transferred to whatever the US equivalent is so recruiters understand them. 

Best of luck!

3 hours ago, Rosario77 said:

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.

I recently had the permanent residence due to marriage and I am trying to get a job before going to the US.
I am indutrial engineer with many years of experience.

I have been applying for a job for a month and a half and at the moment I have not had any response.

Some of my applications have been rejected but most are still under review.

I hope to get lucky...

Thanks....

Do you have any sort of certifications? Those are key for an industrial engineer and actually supersede experience. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Search for the professional engineering societies, see if they have job boards, and see if they have discussion forums.  Participate in both.  I consider it likely that you'll have success directly or that you'll find a mentor.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
13 hours ago, Bettie Page said:

I think you may get a better response when you are actually physically present in the US - if you are an industrial engineer maybe look at getting your credentials assessed so they can be transferred to whatever the US equivalent is so recruiters understand them. 

Best of luck!

Thanks for your opinion.
In my work applications I put a physical address in the US although I am currently working in Spain. 
I was looking for credentials in the US, and in my case, I have seen that for managment positions it is not necessary to obtain an equivalence certificate.

It's correct?

Timeline
3 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Search for the professional engineering societies, see if they have job boards, and see if they have discussion forums.  Participate in both.  I consider it likely that you'll have success directly or that you'll find a mentor.

Thank you so much

How can i find them?

7 hours ago, Rosario77 said:

Hi,

Yes, I have a university degree.

Thanks

That's not enough. You need certifications on something like quality control, data analysis or CAD/CAE software.

If you don't have them, you should try getting them. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.