Gazzee

Is it a problem that I haven’t visited my fiancé in 8 Months?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancé has her interview on September 5th. I’ve been out to see her 3 times last year but the last visit was at Christmas. So it will be 8 months since we were last together. I don’t get much vacation time from work so I’ve been saving my vacation for when she gets to the US. We are on Skype 24/7 so we have plenty of screen shots for evidence of ongoing relationship. Will it reflect negatively on us at the interview that we haven’t physically been together for so long? I still have time for a visit before the interview if necessary. Should I squeeze in a visit to avoid any issues at the interview?

Timeline

I don't believe that will be an issue. Since the requirement is that you see one another in person within 2 years of submitting your K1 packet. As for myself, I haven't been over there since April-May this year. But if you feel it might be an issue or your like me and just miss her LoL, Why don't you just fly over and be with her during her interview? That's exactly what I'm going to do but I'm going to stay and wait for her Visa to be in hand and then we will fly back together. I'm no expert here, Just someone willing to help if I can.

As long as the girlfriend is happy you should be ok!

But seriously, if you can afford a trip, it would always  be a benefit.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, morry & ren said:

Since the requirement is that you see one another in person within 2 years of submitting your K1 packet. 

That meets the requirement for the petition approval but by itself won't cut it for the visa. 

For the visa one must demonstrate an ongoing bonafide relationship, which can take many forms.  Chats, calls, more face time,  etc.

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

That meets the requirement for the petition approval but by itself won't cut it for the visa. 

For the visa one must demonstrate an ongoing bonafide relationship, which can take many forms.  Chats, calls, more face time,  etc.

I'm sure he understands that, but his only question was will it be a negative for them to have been apart for the 8 months nothing more or nothing less....😉

Edited by morry & ren

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If possible, I would go see her before the interview. My fiance and I met before his interview and I helped him go over all the paperwork he needs for the interview, and we signed our letter of intent to marry together. We also went over common interview questions that are asked. This could be done over skype, but it does add pictures to your "proof of relationship" packet in case that is asked for. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, Gazzee said:

My fiancé has her interview on September 5th. I’ve been out to see her 3 times last year but the last visit was at Christmas. So it will be 8 months since we were last together. I don’t get much vacation time from work so I’ve been saving my vacation for when she gets to the US. We are on Skype 24/7 so we have plenty of screen shots for evidence of ongoing relationship. Will it reflect negatively on us at the interview that we haven’t physically been together for so long? I still have time for a visit before the interview if necessary. Should I squeeze in a visit to avoid any issues at the interview?

For the visa process in Manila .. it is NOT an issue.    No need to "squeeze in another visit".    Most only see their fiancee one time during the complete visa process.

For questions relating to the visa process in the Philippines jump to the Philippines forum as you will get answers relating to the process there, less chance of "mis-information"

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/   (see you there)

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, waysoftheshadow said:

If possible, I would go see her before the interview. My fiance and I met before his interview and I helped him go over all the paperwork he needs for the interview, and we signed our letter of intent to marry together. We also went over common interview questions that are asked. This could be done over skype, but it does add pictures to your "proof of relationship" packet in case that is asked for. 

5 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

As long as the girlfriend is happy you should be ok!

But seriously, if you can afford a trip, it would always  be a benefit.

Totally not necessary to have multiple visits to see your fiancee in the Philippines ..   Embassy in Manila is not a difficult embassy.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

10 hours ago, Gazzee said:

It most likely won't be a problem in Manila. If you have to make a choice about when you can visit you might want to wait and try to be there for the interview if you can. It is an interesting experience. Good Luck!

Edited by boris64

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

16 hours ago, Gazzee said:

No it won't be a problem for the Philippines, you've got three visits already under your belt so you are good, don't sweat it and don't squeeze one in before the interview if you are saving that time for her arrival. I am in a similar boat I only had two visits and a year had passed since I saw her by the time the interview rolled around.  The CO will most likely ask her when is the last time she saw you, but that's a standard question and she should just answer honestly that's all to it.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Gazzee said:

I personally see no issues. It isn’t easy to be physically apart for long, however, as you said, Skype has been a helper to make you both keep your bonds.

The other point would be suggest your fiancée to tell the CO the exact same story you shared here about not being able to leave work and take a vacation break more often. 

Edited by CrisBR

3 hours ago, CrisBR said:

The other point would be suggest your fiancée to tell the CO the exact same story you shared here about not being able to leave work and take a vacation break more often. 

Not that the OP will have any issues for USEM, but in general this is not a tactic that proves favorable for US immigration.  Consulate officers are charged with adjudicating the veracity of relationships, and as such are looking carefully at time spent together.   Using time/money as an excuse for lack of visits has backfired for many, many VJ members.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Not that the OP will have any issues for USEM, but in general this is not a tactic that proves favorable for US immigration.  Consulate officers are charged with adjudicating the veracity of relationships, and as such are looking carefully at time spent together.   Using time/money as an excuse for lack of visits has backfired for many, many VJ members.

I wonder how many people are able to take a short break or even vacation more than three times a year (and get PTO) to visit their partners overseas.

She said she visited him 3 times last year and, for some reason, couldn’t do that for the last eight months.

USCIS has no set rules like “you have to visit your partner x number of times a year in order to make us understand your case is bona fide.”

Having met in person in the two years prior to filing the petition is what they ask for. I never read anything saying you should meet x number of times in this two year period.

It’d be great if people could spend time together more often and for a longer period, but not the case for many. 

The way I see is, as long as she can explain the real reasons she couldn’t afford to visit him in the last 8 months, and given that she has already had the chance to visit him 3 times in the previous year, they may not frown upon that. 

Timeline

Thank you for all of your input, It's very helpful.  We have decided for me not to visit again, after all this time we can wait another month. We have lots of evidence from our Skype calls that we have gathered together, screenshots of us on video together, call logs etc. along with many Facebook posts declaring our love for each other ❤️ :) . From what I have read on VJ and from several comments on this thread, I feel confident now that this will be sufficient. As per Chris BR, I think they understand that people have to work and vacation is not an unlimited resource for many people, especially in the US. I only get two weeks vacation every year and I will need some of that time for when we get married, and when my fiance first arrives we want to spend some well earned time together.

Thanks again for all of the input, and good luck to all going through this marathon of a process :).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.