Bettie Page

Travel hacks

6 posts in this topic

Timeline

So I'm guessing most of us here do a fair bit of traveling to visit our SOs - although I am generally "with" my husband, I own my own business which leads to travel and dividing my time between here and there while we decide what to do - what travel hacks do you have to share

Mine:

• Get a credit card that offers frequent flier miles, focus on one carrier/alliance and do everything you can to earn (consumer survey panels, restaurant/hotel partnerships, etc)
  • Always book the window seat if you want to sleep on the flight, aisle for every other flight - as far in front as you can get 
  • TSA Pre-check/Trusted Traveler program - worth every penny of the $100 for 5 years
  • Melatonin for jet lag (anything stronger makes me feel hung over upon arrival)
  • Download Netflix shows/movies for offline viewing in advance of your trip
  • If you can, maintain status on your preferred carrier for lounge access and other privileges - an upgrade might cost a few $$$ but if it means getting those benefits it could be worth it!

What are yours?

When a couple travels, they should pick window and aisle seats, the lonely seat between them might not be assigned to any passenger. Free extra space. Otherwise, I've never had anyone who wanted to stay between us, so they got the window/aisle. 

TSA pre check is free with some credit cards. 

My card is also giving me access to lounges in most airports. Totally worth it to have a quiet space, free food and drinks. Showers too in some terminals.  

Buy good, light, carry-on luggage. Any luggage sent to cargo ends up scratched and mishandled... so, just pick what's available at your Ross/Marshall local discounted store. 

Pack light socks in your handbag/carry on top zip compartment. If you end up having to remove your shoes, you won't have to be barefoot 🤢

Buy a pack of Starbucks gift cards to keep in your travel wallet and distribute as needed to crew members - for good service, or just because... 

Planes are dirty. Plastic bag is always good to protect your smaller bag/purse/personal item from the floor. Weighs nothing and very useful.

Build your flying kit and don't count/wait on the airline to provide anything to you.  I always have earplugs, headset, sleeping mask, lip balm, Crest mini toothbrush, floss, pen, and some Advil in a ziplock bag, and a snack and bottle of water. Your essentials are probably different than mine, but the goal is to get to your seat and be able to zone out as soon as possible/on your schedule. 

On long flights, get yourself a foot rest - mine hangs from the table tray, but I've used my plastic bag wrapped bag before.

If you can't lift your carry on yourself, then it's too heavy for you. Grab a smaller bag, and check it in.  

If possible, before leaving on a trip to a different time zone, try to adjust your bed time and morning alarm an hour a day to your destination time. Do the same to your kids 😈

Work for an airline! For the last 19 years it’s not only been my income but also the best way to travel. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

10 minutes ago, JFH said:

Work for an airline! For the last 19 years it’s not only been my income but also the best way to travel. 

Or be close friends with someone who does... 

and be nice when you non-rev. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Planes are dirty. Plastic bag is always good to protect your smaller bag/purse/personal item from the floor. Weighs nothing and very useful.

Build your flying kit and don't count/wait on the airline to provide anything to you.  I always have earplugs, headset, sleeping mask, lip balm, Crest mini toothbrush, floss, pen, and some Advil in a ziplock bag, and a snack and bottle of water. Your essentials are probably different than mine, but the goal is to get to your seat and be able to zone out as soon as possible/on your schedule. 

Yes - this! And bring sanitizing wipes or a small bottle of sanitizer. I also would include moisturizer since long flights can be very dehydrating.