Steeleballz

Trump says Colin Kaepernick should play in the NFL again "if he's good enough"

22 posts in this topic

Free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick got some surprising support from President Trump on Friday. Mr. Trump said he would "love" to see the former 49ers star signed by an NFL team again "if he's good enough." 

Mr. Trump was on his way to the Hamptons for a fundraiser when a reporter asked if Kaepernick should get an opportunity to play in the NFL again. The president, who has repeatedly criticized Kaepernick and other athletes for protesting during the national anthem, gave his unexpected — and conditional —endorsement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-on-kaepernick-former-49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-should-play-in-the-nfl-again-if-hes-good-enough/

I didn't post this to rehash the whole Kaepernick thing, but just to note the response from president Trump. I thought it was the correct thing for a president to say, though a little out of character and even somewhat of a conciliatory tone. It's rare to see Trump let up once he's into it with someone, but I've always thought Trump would gain support from the middle (and maybe even the left) if he could be a bit more measured and balanced with his responses and not make everything personal. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

A chance to play does not equal a willingness to accept Kap kneeling for the Anthem. Kap has himself in an untenable position.

55 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Free agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick got some surprising support from President Trump on Friday. Mr. Trump said he would "love" to see the former 49ers star signed by an NFL team again "if he's good enough." 

Mr. Trump was on his way to the Hamptons for a fundraiser when a reporter asked if Kaepernick should get an opportunity to play in the NFL again. The president, who has repeatedly criticized Kaepernick and other athletes for protesting during the national anthem, gave his unexpected — and conditional —endorsement.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-on-kaepernick-former-49ers-quarterback-colin-kaepernick-should-play-in-the-nfl-again-if-hes-good-enough/

I didn't post this to rehash the whole Kaepernick thing, but just to note the response from president Trump. I thought it was the correct thing for a president to say, though a little out of character and even somewhat of a conciliatory tone. It's rare to see Trump let up once he's into it with someone, but I've always thought Trump would gain support from the middle (and maybe even the left) if he could be a bit more measured and balanced with his responses and not make everything personal. 

Let me translate as I speak Trump. "If he was good enough to be playing in the NFL he would be, but he won't cause he sucks

14 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

A chance to play does not equal a willingness to accept Kap kneeling for the Anthem. Kap has himself in an untenable position.

I would say if he was good enough to play, he would still be in the league regardless. There are other players who knelt who are still playing. I don't think the president really had anything to say about this anymore, but since he was asked the question, I thought the response struck the right balance. 

Just now, Steeleballz said:

I would say if he was good enough to play, he would still be in the league regardless. There are other players who knelt who are still playing. I don't think the president really had anything to say about this anymore, but since he was asked the question, I thought the response struck the right balance. 

I think he was marginal, he may have been kept on a rooster in some role, but the baggage he brought was not worth it. If he was a game changer type player he would have played

13 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Let me translate as I speak Trump. "If he was good enough to be playing in the NFL he would be, but he won't cause he sucks

I feel like Trump could have said it that way if he wanted to. I'm not reading too much into it. Maybe it's just an unscripted response, or the reporter caught him on a good day. He could have answered as he did previously if he wanted. Something caused him to change his tone a little. 

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I think he was marginal, he may have been kept on a rooster in some role, but the baggage he brought was not worth it. If he was a game changer type player he would have played

I think we said in the past, if it was Tom Brady kneeling, he would still be the Patriots starting QB. Many players do questionable things. The talented ones always get another chance.

I feel like Trump could have said it that way if he wanted to. I'm not reading too much into it. Maybe it's just an unscripted response, or the reporter caught him on a good day. He could have answered as he did previously if he wanted. Something caused him to change his tone a little. 

I like what Trump is doing. I don't like his caustic comments and think he would be way more popular if he throttled back the rhetoric. 

Is it possible he had a moment of clarity 

I think we said in the past, if it was Tom Brady kneeling, he would still be the Patriots starting QB. Many players do questionable things. The talented ones always get another chance.

UGA use to have a very talented RB named Musa Smith that played back in the post 9-11 days. His dad got caught running a Muslim terror camp or something like that. 

do you think one single good ol boy didn't defend Musa. If Musa had played for the Gators the good ol boys would have been screaming for his head.

sadly politics has become much like the GA FL  rivalry 

3 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I like what Trump is doing. I don't like his caustic comments and think he would be way more popular if he throttled back the rhetoric. 

Is it possible he had a moment of clarity 

UGA use to have a very talented RB named Musa Smith that played back in the post 9-11 days. His dad got caught running a Muslim terror camp or something like that. 

do you think one single good ol boy didn't defend Musa. If Musa had played for the Gators the good ol boys would have been screaming for his head.

sadly politics has become much like the GA FL  rivalry 

Even in the NFL, there have been several examples of players getting a second chance after some sort of criminal conviction. If they are talented enough, they get a second chance. If not, teams won't take the risk. Often times the second chance ends up backfiring and teams regret it.

The one thing that owners care about more than winning is their bank accounts. I don't see any team risking the negative publicity that would come with signing Kaepernick because there is just not enough upside. I do think he might end up in the XFL next year, or something similar. If he shows he has something there, NFL teams might be willing to take a look. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

His main problem is he is not very good, he would need to be exceptional to overcome the negatives.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

His main problem is he is not very good, he would need to be exceptional to overcome the negatives.

He may not be a starting QB, but he is certainly among the top 64 QB's in the world. If not for the baggage, he would have an NFL job somewhere as a backup. As you said though, backups are not worth alienating a fan base over. If he was good enough to start and win games, I'm sure the fans would overlook the negatives. Just like they did with Michael Vick a few years back

Ultimately it was his choice. He will have to live with it. He's lucky he already made his millions. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

He may not be a starting QB, but he is certainly among the top 64 QB's in the world. If not for the baggage, he would have an NFL job somewhere as a backup. As you said though, backups are not worth alienating a fan base over. If he was good enough to start and win games, I'm sure the fans would overlook the negatives. Just like they did with Michael Vick a few years back

Ultimately it was his choice. He will have to live with it. He's lucky he already made his millions. 

There have been no end of 'top' players in my favoured sport of Football who get to a certain point and despite their nominal ranking nobody want them, without his issues.

As in all team games if a supposedly top player, and I do not believe he is, disrupts the team balance then he or she or whatever is not worth it.

Look what Leicester did without top players, probably US examples as well, I know in the US they seem to like to turn it into a numbers game but the real world is not like that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I don't watch sports much, but don't recall ever seeing CK with a rooster.