40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

We married on K-1 visa in April and are waiting for AOS interview. His son is not 18 and mother wouldn't give permission to leave Russia even though he has always lived with his dad and they are very close. He will be 18 in October and wants to join his dad here. Any advice on the best way to do this? I think it needs to be done well before his son turns 21. Thanks in advance!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

You can file the I-130 today as his USC stepmother.  It will take about a year for him to get an immigration visa and an instant green card when he enters the US (no need to adjust status).  He will be 18 when he interviews and he will not need his mother's permission since he will be an adult.  

Timeline
23 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You can file the I-130 today as his USC stepmother.  It will take about a year for him to get an immigration visa and an instant green card when he enters the US (no need to adjust status).  He will be 18 when he interviews and he will not need his mother's permission since he will be an adult.  

I'm assuming he will need to interview in Moscow as my fiance did? And do the physical in Moscow?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Pelmeni said:

We married on K-1 visa in April and are waiting for AOS interview. His son is not 18 and mother wouldn't give permission to leave Russia even though he has always lived with his dad and they are very close. He will be 18 in October and wants to join his dad here. Any advice on the best way to do this? I think it needs to be done well before his son turns 21. Thanks in advance!

His parent married his USC spouse before the child turned 18, then he is considered a step-child for immigration purposes.  The USC step-parent can petition the child with an IR visa.   Being this can take upwards of a year you could start this now.

The K-2 Follow To Join only applies to minor children, would need to be completed BEFORE he turns 18.  < and with the mother not being agreeable odds of that happening are slim.

Children (below 21 years of age and unmarried) of the Filipino spouse are also eligible to apply for IR visas if individual petitions are filed on their behalf by the U.S. citizen spouse. Under U.S. immigration law, only children under the age of 18 at the time their natural parent married to a U.S. citizen are considered “step-children” for immigration purpose. Children who were 18 years or older at the time of the marriage may not be petitioned as step-children. They may be petitioned by the Filipino parent after he/she becomes a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

His parent married his USC spouse before the child turned 18, then he is considered a step-child for immigration purposes.  The USC step-parent can petition the child with an IR visa.   Being this can take upwards of a year you could start this now.

The K-2 Follow To Join only applies to minor children, would need to be completed BEFORE he turns 18.  < and with the mother not being agreeable odds of that happening are slim.

Children (below 21 years of age and unmarried) of the Filipino spouse are also eligible to apply for IR visas if individual petitions are filed on their behalf by the U.S. citizen spouse. Under U.S. immigration law, only children under the age of 18 at the time their natural parent married to a U.S. citizen are considered “step-children” for immigration purpose. Children who were 18 years or older at the time of the marriage may not be petitioned as step-children. They may be petitioned by the Filipino parent after he/she becomes a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States.

Follow to join on a K-2 applies to unmarried children under age 21 and doesn't require the mom's consent once the child is 18.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Follow to join on a K-2 applies to unmarried children under age 21 and doesn't require the mom's consent once the child is 18.

My first thought was the FOLLOW-TO-JOIN instead of an IR visa... if it could be completed in time.   BUT ...

I found this regarding the K-2.    (they could contact their embassy to verify)     For the IR visa his age is not an issue.

Minor children identified on the approved I-129F petition may follow to join their petitioned parent. However, such follow-to-join K2 visas can only be issued within one year from the time the parent was issued a K1 visa. After one (1) year, they no longer derive immigration benefits from the I-129F petition and you or your spouse must file an immediate relative or second preference petition for them to qualify again

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pelmeni said:

K2 follow to join if you can get it done between his 18th birthday and the one year from k1 issuance 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Follow to join would be the fastest way. Depending on when in October he turns 18 I would call in September to get the ball rolling and Hope for a November interview. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

You are missing one “small” issue. Russia is a contracting country to the Hague Abduction Convention. A minor child cannot be relocated to another country without the consent of both parents. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Gomast said:

You are missing one “small” issue. Russia is a contracting country to the Hague Abduction Convention. A minor child cannot be relocated to another country without the consent of both parents. 

No, he isn't missing that issue.   He is waiting for the child to turn 18, to which Momma's consent is no longer required 

YMMV

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Gomast said:

No one missed the "small" issue.  He interviews when he's 18.  An 18 years old is an adult who can freely make his own decisions.  

Timeline
12 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

No one missed the "small" issue.  He interviews when he's 18.  An 18 years old is an adult who can freely make his own decisions.  

Thanks to you all! You're the best!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
19 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Yes. At the age of 16 no permission is required per Hague 

6 minutes ago, Gomast said:

Yes. At the age of 16 no permission is required per Hague 

Under 16 permission is required in accordance with the treaty. At 16 or older is still determined by each country.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.