rYm

Immigrant Visa Appointment at US Consulate in Johannesburg, South Africa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Namibia
Timeline

We were informed on Tuesday 30 July 2019 by NVC that our request for expedite was accepted by the US Consular General and that everything was sent to the US Consulate in Johannesburg.  We did a case status check and it said READY for interview. How long do we wait for the Consulate to get in touch with us about our interview date?

They sent us the instruction page the very next day, they didnt actually send us the interview date. The instructions were for us to go to their site and pick our own date. 

Timeline

Thank you spinkycow for your response. We received an email from them this morning with instructions. We have completed the extra uploads they were asking form My only other questions is this - They have this request under their point number 9. Documentary proof of relationship between the beneficiary and petitioner. What all do they want for that?

Pictures, and documents that support your relationship. Any bills in both your names, a rent agreement with both your names on it, birth certificates of kids if you have any, tax returns with both your names on it things like that. 

Timeline

Did you have to schedule your own interview appointment at the US Consulate in Johannesburg. We received an appointment confirmation letter with instructions on it as to what to load on CEAC and to  make sure we have our papers in order. They have a general email which they send out and on it they say - 

1.     SCHEDULE OR RE-SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT:

We are no longer able to manually schedule interviews or follow up appointments at the Consulate.

You may schedule / reschedule your appointment through our online scheduling service.  Please visit https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-za/iv/users/sign_in to create an account and / or choose a new appointment from the appointment calendar.  Please note that interview dates are subject to availability.  Additionally, availability for follow up appointments is limited.  We do not recommend rescheduling your NVC or KCC scheduled interview date if possible. 

I created an account on the link they gave and there is a section that allows you to pick a date, always on a Thursday. Am I to understand that I  have to schedule my own immigrant visa interview and schedule my medicals and just pitch up at the US Consulate on the date I picked?

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi, I am a bit confused.  I received an email from the NVC giving me the appointment date already.  Must one then confirm this date with JHB or is it set as per NVC's email?  Also, does anyone have any idea how long one needs to be in South Africa - as a Namibian ie not resident in RSA, it is not easy to just stay in Jhb for an unknown time period and i need to also plan finances accordingly.  Thanks!

Dana

Timeline

Did NVC send you an email with an attachment? Because you have to schedule your own medical appointments as well. There usually is an appointment confirmation letter/email with instructions in it. Dana, if you want to you are welcome to contact us via phone on 0816499669.

Edited by rYm

Timeline

Dana, here is some info for you.

After NVC schedules your visa interview appointment, they will send you, your petitioner, and your agent/attorney (if applicable) an email or letter noting the appointment date and time.  After you receive an interview appointment letter from NVC, you must take the following steps BEFORE the interview date.

Step 1: Schedule and Complete a Medical Examination

You (and each family member or “derivative applicant” applying for a visa with you) are required to schedule a medical appointment with an authorized physician in the country where you will be interviewed.  Only AFTER you receive your appointment date, should you complete your medical examination, along with any required vaccinations.  The medical exam must be completed BEFORE your visa interview.

This exam must be with an embassy-approved doctor.  Exams conducted by other physicians will not be accepted.

Read embassy-specific instructions and get a list of approved doctors on the Medical Examination page. After your exam, the doctor will either send the exam results directly to the embassy or give you a sealed envelope.  If the doctor gives you an envelope, do not open it.  Instead, bring it to your visa interview and give it to the consular officer.

Step 2: Register for Courier Service/Other Pre-Interview Instructions

Many U.S. Embassies and Consulates require visa applicants to pre-register for courier services. This service is for returning applicant passports and visas to them after the interview. Each consular section also has unique entry and security requirements, including whether applicants can bring cell phones into the embassy or consulate. Before your interview, read the specific requirements for where you will be interviewed.

Choose the city where your interview will take place from the List of U.S. Embassies and Consulates to review Embassy/Consulate requirements.

The supplement may contain other requirements specific to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your interview will be held, so please read these instructions carefully.

Step 3: Gather Documents Required for the Interview

Every visa applicant no matter their age must bring certain documents to the interview, including photographs, the original version of all civil documents submitted to NVC, copies of those documents, and financial documents from the petitioner and any other financial sponsors.  Please review Items Your Must Bring to Your Visa Interview. You must bring the documents on this list even if you submitted a photocopy of them to NVC

What happens if you forget to bring something on this list?  The consular officer will not be able to complete the processing of your visa. You will have to gather the missing items and provide them to the embassy, and may have to come for additional interviews. Failure to bring all items on the above list can delay visa issuance.

Here is a link to the Sandton Family Medical Center's website where you have to register for your medical appointments, there are two appointment days, and this must be done before your interview. 

http://www.sandtoncityfamilymedicalcentre.co.za/us.php 

Then you also have to register on this site where the interview date should appear - we did not get our date from NVC so I don't know how this part will work in your situation, but click on the link below and register.

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-za/iv/users/sign_in

I  hope this helps you. 

Marlize

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Casim I did my interview in August already and got my immigrant visa two weeks later and we are in the US already. If you look at my timeline you will see the entire process laid out.

Thank you rYM, 

Good for you and good luck in USA👍
My wife and kids did their interview 4 December in Jbg. But so far we did not get any feedback, when I check online status that is showed still in scheduling interview case!!!! 
Even they did not keep their passports to place visa and never mention about visa application accepted or not.
Thank you

Happy holidays!

Edited by Casim

On 12/26/2019 at 12:48 AM, Casim said:

Thank you rYM, 

Good for you and good luck in USA👍
My wife and kids did their interview 4 December in Jbg. But so far we did not get any feedback, when I check online status that is showed still in scheduling interview case!!!! 
Even they did not keep their passports to place visa and never mention about visa application accepted or not.
Thank you

Happy holidays!

On 12/25/2019 at 11:45 PM, rYm said:

Casim I did my interview in August already and got my immigrant visa two weeks later and we are in the US already. If you look at my timeline you will see the entire process laid out.

Thanks how long does it takes the appointment before the interview.

thanks

On 12/25/2019 at 11:45 PM, rYm said:

I have been on Ap since Oct 24 2019 that I got approved, its more than 60 days now, do you know what the problem might be?

Timeline

Shalom JimBette, what did they say to you at your interview? Did they give you anything after the interview was done? Did they keep your passport? Usually within two weeks after approval you will be contacted by DHL as soon as they have received the passport with the visa inside. You then have to collect it from them. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 3:10 PM, rYm said:

Shalom JimBette, what did they say to you at your interview? Did they give you anything after the interview was done? Did they keep your passport? Usually within two weeks after approval you will be contacted by DHL as soon as they have received the passport with the visa inside. You then have to collect it from them. 

Yes co- congratulated me and say I am approved and visa will arrive in 7-10 business days. After 10 working days I contacted them by phone and they said I should email and not to call, then I emailed and later that day my case went to AP Administrative processing, I was a bit confused because I took every things they needed to the embassy.  I have emailed them a total of 6 times from since I was approved, the last email I got was the are working to get the visa adjudicated. I am a bit confused 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.