Saa Isha

Skype marriage (pakistan) spouse visa (merged)

151 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
9 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Know how bad this mess is?  

The perfect legal solution

1.  Send 3 divorce texts.  Register that divorce in Pakistan.

2.  Girl marries someone else for short time, consummates that marriage

3.  Husband divorces girl.  Resets her to “free to marry” under local law.  She can’t divorce him either LOL.  She might be stuck at that point?  

4.  “Proxy husband” remarries her in person

5.  “Proxy” files petition, which requires both his previous divorce from her and new husband’s divorce from her plus his new marriage certificate

At that point, it is a “normal” case.

A greencard holder who told his “wife” he can’t travel to marry her but could travel to consummate the marriage is a dirtbag to begin with because he lied to her.  He’d be getting EXACTLY what he earned.

I’m out of this one.  I get in trouble editorializing about laws / beliefs / practice in that region. 

Lord have mercy!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
21 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

The biggest issue right now, is whether or not their marriage is considered legally valid in the US for immigration purposes. Proxy marriages are not legal in Massachusetts. They must sort that out before they can worry about anything else first, because until their marriage is legal, they cannot do anything. Doesn't matter that it has been registered in Pakistan if it is not legal in the US. Lots of us have met our spouses online, that's not the problem. The fact that they were not both physically present at the wedding and that this is not a recognized marriage where the petitioner lives is the problem.

that is why i said, he needs to register his marriage as per American Govt . In Pakistan, now they have pre-register all Marriage paper, so either you are both Pakistani's marrying still your marriage will be registered and can be used in any future Immigration process .

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, gajbaldauri said:

lmfao!!!

It really happens.  The sheets get presented to family elders to paw over for “evidence of morality”.  I’m sure it’s a real treat for the bride.

4 minutes ago, umerdec08 said:

that is why i said, he needs to register his marriage as per American Govt . In Pakistan, now they have pre-register all Marriage paper, so either you are both Pakistani's marrying still your marriage will be registered and can be used in any future Immigration process .

He did not get married in Pakistan.  He got married in Massachusetts.  

She got married in Pakistan.

There is question about whether his marriage in Boston is legal.  If it is not legal, then he cannot sponsor her as his wife.

Her marriage is legal in Pakistan.  So she is not eligible to be issued a fiance visa in Pakistan.  See the problem?  The silly man could have avoided all of this by marrying her in person anywhere on the planet where they could have and record a legal marriage ceremony.  

1 hour ago, umerdec08 said:

Do they have Children together ? I think having Children will give their relationship some legitimacy .

No children

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Nitas_man said:

It really happens.  The sheets get presented to family elders to paw over for “evidence of morality”.  I’m sure it’s a real treat for the bride.

He did not get married in Pakistan.  He got married in Massachusetts.  

She got married in Pakistan.

There is question about whether his marriage in Boston is legal.  If it is not legal, then he cannot sponsor her as his wife.

Her marriage is legal in Pakistan.  So she is not eligible to be issued a fiance visa in Pakistan.  See the problem?  The silly man could have avoided all of this by marrying her in person anywhere on the planet where they could have and record a legal marriage ceremony.  

of course if he did visit Pakistan and marry her it would save him/her a lot of trouble, but as we don't know what are the reasons/excuses so I will restrain myself from commenting , All i can say that they both needs to register the marriage as per American Rules, at this and later Points it irrelevant if the marriage is legit in Pakistan . 

1 hour ago, LilyJ said:

Proxy marriages are not legal in Massachusetts...

As mentioned upthread there isn't a Massachusetts statute that covers proxy marriage: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartII/TitleIII/Chapter207 Also proxy marriage officiated outside Massachusetts isn't explicitly prohibited by Massachusetts law; even if one party resides or is present in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts when the marriage is officiated.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Off topic posts removed; either answer the OP's questions or do not post.**

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
25 minutes ago, HRQX said:

As mentioned upthread there isn't a Massachusetts statute that covers proxy marriage: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartII/TitleIII/Chapter207 Also proxy marriage officiated outside Massachusetts isn't explicitly prohibited by Massachusetts law; even if one party resides or is present in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts when the marriage is officiated.

It may not be listed as explicitly prohibited, but it doesn't say it's allowed either. Only 5 states explicitly allow proxy marriages. You also can't obtain a marriage license in MA for a proxy marriage as both people must be present to apply, so I would assume the same for a marriage certificate. Everything I have found on proxy marriages in MA states, that both parties must be present for the wedding as well. MA also does not recognize marriages that could not have legally taken place in MA

Edited by LilyJ

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

The situation of a proxy marriage in a state that does not recognize them is not unique. I just cannot find a strong argument that the circumstances here would have any different result than others have had in the past.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

1 hour ago, umerdec08 said:

of course if he did visit Pakistan and marry her it would save him/her a lot of trouble, but as we don't know what are the reasons/excuses so I will restrain myself from commenting , All i can say that they both needs to register the marriage as per American Rules, at this and later Points it irrelevant if the marriage is legit in Pakistan . 

To be recognized in America we are all required to follow the laws in the state we get married in.  

If the person gets married in a state and does not follow the law of that state then that marriage cannot be registered or recognized.

This person got married in his home state.  He cannot use a Pakistani marriage certificate.  He must go to his county office, obtain a license for the type of marriage he wished to have (proxy), then he can register that marriage and after he sees and spends time with her that marriage will be recognized as legal and valid.

Only a few states allow that.  If he does not do that, then his marriage will not be recognized no matter how many pakistani government stamps he manages to get placed on a piece of paper far away from the state he was in when they got married.

Do you understand?  There is a difference between what he did and what a couple would normally do.  He has no marriage to register.  They must start over.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If the couple ever got married legally and lawfully, in person, anywhere, then anything before that is meaningless.  They go forward with the marriage date and marriage certificate that evidences their legal and lawful marriage, PERIOD.  Yes, proxy marriages CAN BE recognized but if they have an in person legal marriage, there is no reason to try to get the proxy marriage recognized, not even a reason to mention it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

1 hour ago, LilyJ said:

It may not be listed as explicitly prohibited, but it doesn't say it's allowed either.

IMO, MGL c.207 wouldn't be interpreted that way (I.e. obviously a proxy marriage can't be officiated within the Commonwealth, but what disallows the Commonwealth from recognizing a proxy marriage officiated outside its jurisdiction?)

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

The situation of a proxy marriage in a state that does not recognize them is not unique.

True, but doesn't seem to be the case in Massachusetts per MGL c.207.

Edited by HRQX

13 hours ago, umerdec08 said:

Do they have Children together ? I think having Children will give their relationship some legitimacy .

It is not a question of legitimacy, but of legality. 

If a marriage wouldn't be considered legal as per US laws, it doesn't matter what is legal in the beneficiary's home country. For example, Polygamous marriages are legal in some places, but we all know that the USA will NOT recognize the second/third/fourth/whatever-th wife of a man to be his legal wife and allow her to obtain immigration benefit. 

12 hours ago, umerdec08 said:

You mean... he needs to get legally married in a way that is recognised and accepted as legal by the US government and more specifically by USCIS? 

Marriage laws in Pakistan have no bearing in this discussion unless the marriage happened in Pakistan. It didn't - it happened, essentially, "online" which is what is causing this mess.   "Registering" it will not solve this issue - OP's friend going to Pakistan (or whatever 3rd country, since apparently OP & friend are convinced that OP isn't "allowed" to go there during his Green Card years) and getting properly legally married while physically in the same place as his wife - WILL solve the issue.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:17 AM, Saa Isha said:

On gren card stage u cannot travel to homeland country (pakistan )

Huh?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.