Someone12345

I am a permanent resident (just got my 10y green card). Can I bring my single mother +50 to live in the US with me?

22 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm a single child, and my mom is a single mother. I recently got my permanent residency approved, and received my 10 year green card a few months back. I want to bring my mom to live here in the US with me, she's completely alone in Brazil (our home country), and I miss her so dearly, I want to bring her so I can take care of her.

1. With my permanent resident status, can I bring her?

2. I moved to the US with a K-1 visa, but got divorced before I got my I-751 filed. Can I apply for my citizenship in 2019 (after living here for 3 years) or do I need to wait until my 5 year anniversary? I came to the US for marriage, but I'm no longer married to the same guy - Im engaged to another american citizen now.

3. I'm eligible for Italian citizenship. If I'm an Italian citizen, does the process get somewhat expedited to bring her?

4. Could I bring her as a student so  she can spend some time here? My fiance owns a business, could we sponsor her so she can come as an employee and work with him like his secretary?

5. For parents, is it true the processing time is about 8 years? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Only US citizens can petition for parents.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

No. 

Have to be a citizen to petition mother. Since you divorced, have to follow five year rule guidelines for naturalization. 

It takes about a year after you file a petition to get immigrant visa in IR5 category (parents of USC). 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well you did not say how much beyond 50 she is but you might wish to consider the practicality as well, lets say she will be 60 ish, so unless she or you are financially very comfortable how would this work?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Someone12345 said:

2. I moved to the US with a K-1 visa, but got divorced before I got my I-751 filed. Can I apply for my citizenship in 2019 (after living here for 3 years) or do I need to wait until my 5 year anniversary?

The anniversary is not from when you started living here (when you arrived via the K-1). The anniversary is from when you received your green card. So you can apply for citizenship 5 years from when you received your green card. Your current boyfriend/fiancee/future husband has no effect on this anniversary.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

1 minute ago, Russ&Caro said:

The anniversary is not from when you started living here (when you arrived via the K-1). The anniversary is from when you received your green card. So you can apply for citizenship 5 years from when you received your green card. Your current boyfriend/fiancee/future husband has no effect on this anniversary.

You mean 5 years since I received my first green card?

12 minutes ago, Someone12345 said:

Hi All,

I'm a single child, and my mom is a single mother. I recently got my permanent residency approved, and received my 10 year green card a few months back. I want to bring my mom to live here in the US with me, she's completely alone in Brazil (our home country), and I miss her so dearly, I want to bring her so I can take care of her.

1. With my permanent resident status, can I bring her?

2. I moved to the US with a K-1 visa, but got divorced before I got my I-751 filed. Can I apply for my citizenship in 2019 (after living here for 3 years) or do I need to wait until my 5 year anniversary? I came to the US for marriage, but I'm no longer married to the same guy - Im engaged to another american citizen now.

3. I'm eligible for Italian citizenship. If I'm an Italian citizen, does the process get somewhat expedited to bring her?

4. Could I bring her as a student so  she can spend some time here? My fiance owns a business, could we sponsor her so she can come as an employee and work with him like his secretary?

5. For parents, is it true the processing time is about 8 years? 

1. No. You have to be a US citizen.

2. No. Because of the divorce you have to apply under the 5 year rule.

3. No expedited under those circumstances.

4. You could try, but don't get your hopes up. Your mother would have to show enough the full school tuition to be approved. Student visas are expensive. Not only that, if there is any indication she is looking to live in the US, the visa will be denied.

5. No. the process takes about 1 - 1.5 years. However, given your circumstances, you are looking at about 4 - 5 years before your mother is here and that is if everything goes well.

For now, your only options is to continue your permanent residence and visit your mother.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 minutes ago, Someone12345 said:

I'm very confused - I arrived at the US in April 2016, got my greencard in the mail in July 2016. This year, in February 2019, I got the permanent 10 year green card. When can I file for citizenship? Isnt it 5 years from July 2016?

5 years for 2016 is 2021.

So yes, July 2021.

Edited to give you a realistic timeline....

• You can apply for citizenship 90 days before July 2021 to get your case started.
  • Naturalization may take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. So late's play it safe and say 9 months (so April 2022 you will be a citizen).
  • You file for your mother April 2022. It takes 1 - 1.5 years before gets her visa
  • So your mother is looking at somewhere in 2023 or early 2024 before she is able to immigrate to the US.
  • Again, that is IF everything goes well.
Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Someone12345 said:

You mean 5 years since I received my first green card?

Correct.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Someone12345 said:

I'm very confused - I arrived at the US in April 2016, got my greencard in the mail in July 2016. This year, in February 2019, I got the permanent 10 year green card. When can I file for citizenship? Isnt it 5 years from July 2016?

Look at the "resident since" date on the card.......and add 5 years then minus 90 days......that's when you can apply.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Unlockable said:

5 years for 2016 is 2021.

So yes, July 2021.

Edited to give you a realistic timeline....

• You can apply for citizenship 90 days before July 2021 to get your case started.
  • Naturalization may take anywhere from 6 months to 1 year. So late's play it safe and say 9 months (so April 2022 you will be a citizen).
  • You file for your mother April 2022. It takes 1 - 1.5 years before gets her visa
  • So your mother is looking at somewhere in 2023 or early 2024 before she is able to immigrate to the US.
  • Again, that is IF everything goes well.

or longer for naturalization depending on where you live

around me timelines are about year or even slightly longer

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, Someone12345 said:

Students apply on their own merits for an F-1 visa, it is to study temporarily in the US at an approved educational institution, so she would need to apply for admission, be accepted, and then apply for an F-1 visa showing that she can pay her own way (very expensive).  If you try to sponsor her this will be viewed negatively by the consular officer as it shows strong ties to the US and a successful F-1 applicant needs to demonstrate that they will return to their home country after completing their studies.  A student visa is not available for the purpose you have in mind.  Even if she is approved for an F-1 visa to be a legitimate student (very unlikely imo), she will have many restrictions on her ability to work and could not work for your fiance's business as a secretary. Petition for her immigrant visa after you become a US citizen.  That is your only option to bring her to the US to live permanently.

Edited by carmel34

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not sure how serious the Student suggestion was.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Kinda unusual for a 50+ year old to seek a foreign education for the purpose of using that skill set back in their home country.

Not impossible....but it certainly looks like a contrived reason to come to the US.

Work visas would be something the company (or more precisely, their immigration attorney) would look into. There's lots of fees, often requiring a specific skill set, a labor certification, and ensuring you can't find a individual to fulfill the role at the prevailing wage domestically. And they are often limited annually, with a lottery component.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.