Dee & Shee

Process after Fiancé arrives in the US

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all. Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the help I, as many others, have received here on the site. I couldn't have done it without you. I initially hired an attorney but bailed on him because I was getting better, quicker info here. I had to wait three weeks to hear back from him. Nevertheless, We received our K1visa on Thursday via 2go, and are ready to travel! Except the flights are unbelievably high right now... I have a few questions about the final process that I need help with.

We never received our CFO cert because they required my Fiance to return after getting her visa for a final consult. My first question is, how will they see the visa if it's in the manila packet that cannot be opened?

Also, they sent all our paperwork back with the packet as well and there is an opening at the corner of the packets. Is that normal? 

Lastly, is there a topic here, on the site that outlines the process that should be taken once we arrive back in the US? I read that we should immodestly get her SS card, before marriage but what else should be Done and in what order?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Hopefully you found the VISA in the passport.   If not you need to contact the embassy.  Once you have that she needs to go back to the CFO to get the sticker.

www.google.com/flights is a good resource for finding cheap flights.  Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a roundtrip or to book the international segment separately from the domestic.    I did quick search and found $909 and the 12th if august.

The cut corners are normal for the packet.

Get the SSN a few weeks after she gets there if possible.   It makes life a bit easier.

FIle the AOS after you get married and don't forget to file the Report of Marriage at the Filipino consulate.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline

Another flight option (Aug. 13):

China Eastern Manila-Shanghai (10 hour layover)-JFK(New York) $664.

You could fly up to meet her.  Overnight at JFK.

Aug.14:

Delta JFK-Tampa $129.

This has two long lay-overs, but gets the cost down to $793.  If you wanted, you could even see New York for a couple of days before going to Tampa.

Thank for for updating your timeline. (My Assistant, then edit/add my timeline.)
K1

Timeline
9 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

The visa is on the passport not in the packet. 

You must file for AOS.

Read this guide: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos/

Thank you. I will check. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Falcon Cara said:

Flights get much cheaper after US summer is over with, Look in Mid September on wards should be able to fly for $800 to $900.  Summer time flying is a rip off

I see, totally! $1700 one way from Manila...

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, Dee & Shee said:

Hello all. Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the help I, as many others, have received here on the site. I couldn't have done it without you. I initially hired an attorney but bailed on him because I was getting better, quicker info here. I had to wait three weeks to hear back from him. Nevertheless, We received our K1visa on Thursday via 2go, and are ready to travel! Except the flights are unbelievably high right now... I have a few questions about the final process that I need help with.

We never received our CFO cert because they required my Fiance to return after getting her visa for a final consult. My first question is, how will they see the visa if it's in the manila packet that cannot be opened?

Also, they sent all our paperwork back with the packet as well and there is an opening at the corner of the packets. Is that normal? 

Lastly, is there a topic here, on the site that outlines the process that should be taken once we arrive back in the US? I read that we should immodestly get her SS card, before marriage but what else should be Done and in what order?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

As noted by others, the visa is in the passport.   The DO NOT OPEN envelope having a cut corner is normal, it needs to be protected (so it doesn't tear, and you don't lose it) .. I would suggest keeping it in the plastic and in the carry-on bag as it will be needed immediately at POE.

Did your fiancee get her certificate from attending the CFO-GCP seminar?  If not then you will need to attend the final "consult", if she has the certificate all that is needed is to head over to CFO with the passport w/visa  and get the CFO sticker affixed in the passport ... then she is ready to travel.     Your fiancee is not leaving without the sticker.

You are not required to get the SS card immediately, but you can, just head down to SSA with her passport, copy of the I-94 from online at CBP and the SS5 form completed.

Lastly once married you will complete Adjustment of Status.  

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Dee & Shee said:

Thank you. I will check. 

She found it in the passport. She overlooked it when she thumbed through it. Thank you! A big relief...

Timeline
5 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Hopefully you found the VISA in the passport.   If not you need to contact the embassy.  Once you have that she needs to go back to the CFO to get the sticker.

www.google.com/flights is a good resource for finding cheap flights.  Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a roundtrip or to book the international segment separately from the domestic.    I did quick search and found $909 and the 12th if august.

The cut corners are normal for the packet.

Get the SSN a few weeks after she gets there if possible.   It makes life a bit easier.

FIle the AOS after you get married and don't forget to file the Report of Marriage at the Filipino consulate.

I've looked everywhere and the tickets or only cheaper with VERY long layovers. I'll take a look at the one you found. Thank you for the information. Visa was located. 😊

Timeline
4 hours ago, tm13 said:

How long does it take to see any progress on the visa status? I got approved on Thursday, July 25th. I just checked and it still says No Status.

We got approved on July 18th. She was in line 65. Line 60 group had an "issued" status the same day. We had "issued" status on the 22nd. We picked up our Visa on the 25th. I had my fiance to go to the 2go office because we couldn't track the package and it was there.

Hopefully you will have the same experience..

Timeline
4 hours ago, Teachers said:

Another flight option (Aug. 13):

China Eastern Manila-Shanghai (10 hour layover)-JFK(New York) $664.

You could fly up to meet her.  Overnight at JFK.

Aug.14:

Delta JFK-Tampa $129.

This has two long lay-overs, but gets the cost down to $793.  If you wanted, you could even see New York for a couple of days before going to Tampa.

Those are good ones. Thank you very much!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

As noted by others, the visa is in the passport.   The DO NOT OPEN envelope having a cut corner is normal, it needs to be protected (so it doesn't tear, and you don't lose it) .. I would suggest keeping it in the plastic and in the carry-on bag as it will be needed immediately at POE.

Did your fiancee get her certificate from attending the CFO-GCP seminar?  If not then you will need to attend the final "consult", if she has the certificate all that is needed is to head over to CFO with the passport w/visa  and get the CFO sticker affixed in the passport ... then she is ready to travel.     Your fiancee is not leaving without the sticker.

You are not required to get the SS card immediately, but you can, just head down to SSA with her passport, copy of the I-94 from online at CBP and the SS5 form completed.

Lastly once married you will complete Adjustment of Status.  

https://www.visaconnection-philippines.com/adjustment-of-status.html

Hank, she did not get the CFO cert. She has to have a final Consult. I assume we have to schedule the consult. All the other steps seem pretty simple.

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.