Boiler

The world’s most dangerous countries for women 2018

194 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://poll2018.trust.org/country/?id=usa

The United States ranked as the 10th most dangerous country for women, the only Western nation to appear in the top 10. The United States shot up in the rankings after tying joint third with Syria when respondents were asked which was the most dangerous country for women in terms of sexual violence including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and the lack of access to justice in rape cases. It was ranked sixth for non-sexual violence.

Pretty impressive when you realise the competition.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

http://poll2018.trust.org/country/?i

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

http://poll2018.trust.org/country/?id=usa

The United States ranked as the 10th most dangerous country for women, the only Western nation to appear in the top 10. The United States shot up in the rankings after tying joint third with Syria when respondents were asked which was the most dangerous country for women in terms of sexual violence including rape, sexual harassment, coercion into sex and the lack of access to justice in rape cases. It was ranked sixth for non-sexual violence.

Pretty impressive when you realise the competition.

d

Very subjective general political worded questions, to do what I am famous for besides creative english is to break it down to the simple truth with few word. 

!Politically driven left wing agenda driven hoarse feathers pushed by  an America hating very left wing biased organization funded by a left wing media mougel!

I can see this from the middle of the road

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/thomson-reuters-foundation/

Filed: Timeline
45 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Very subjective general political worded questions, to do what I am famous for besides creative english is to break it down to the simple truth with few word. 

!Politically driven left wing agenda driven hoarse feathers pushed by  an America hating very left wing biased organization funded by a left wing media mougel!

Do they make throat lozenges for that?

Filed: Timeline

So 548 "experts" were asked which countries were the worst for women in 6 different categories.

The list of "experts" was compiled from a database of women's rights "experts" built by the Thomson Reuters Foundation team..."

blah blah blah and nauseum.

So basically, they hand-picked respondents across the globe to answer the questions.  I realize I'm no expert on anything woman-related,  but I find it hard to believe there exists too many people in this world who are able to accurately describe/explain how women are treated in 15 different countries, let alone all 193 of them.  But at least Botswana didn't make the top 10.  I found solace in that "fact".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
9 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

hoarse mougel

Yur rite!!!!!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Reading the story, it really seems like they did anything they could to put the US into the top 10.  I guess the narrative needed a bit of a push.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Sounds like there will be a lot of womxn seeking asylum.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Canada?

Timeline

Maybe Reparations are in order.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Boiler said:

Maybe Reparations are in order.

Just ask the captain of the US Women's Football (Soccer) Team.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

She can pay back her 13% cut of the profits to get down to the 9% that the men get.

Equality, and all that.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 7/27/2019 at 2:30 PM, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Hi! Actual woman here (I don't think any of you who have posted so far in here are women but I could be wrong... :D). I just wanted to pipe up in defense of the Thomson Reuters Foundation, which is absolutely NOT an America-hating left wing organization. (Wow!) I clicked the link you provided, and while it states that the Foundation has a "left-center" bias (um, there is "center" in there!), its factual reporting accuracy is high, it is always well-sourced and factual. And even though that factcheck website points out that the Foundation isn't the same as Reuters, and is only the charitable arm of Reuters, Reuters has a VERY good reputation for neutral and highly factual content. I took a course in journalism at Pasadena City College a few years back when I was still living there, and it was one of the news organizations that was an example of how to do journalism without a slant. Also, the Foundation does *so* much good work in the world in terms of training reporters across the globe and fighting human trafficking and slavery. 

I guess maybe I wonder why -- and I don't mean this as an attack -- people who are experts in the field of women's issues, experts who include "aid and development professionals, academics, health workers, policymakers, non-government organisation workers, journalists, and social commentators," are automatically dismissed as not knowing enough to talk about women's issues... but the guys in here do? :huh: To be fair, ALFKAD says he's no expert. I'm not saying I'm an expert on all women, but I have about 30-something (lower end of that scale!) years of experience being a woman in the world, mostly America, and I do have *some* opinions on that.

I lucked out in the privilege lottery, white, straight, (upperish) middle class, college-educated, fairly attractive and blonde (well, strawberry blonde, close enough!). And yet being a woman here, in America, is to frequently feel like... you have some handicap. Do you know what it's like to walk into a bar to meet a friend, and you're a little early, and you're the only person of your gender/sex/whatever there? And that difference puts you on edge, because your very difference is drawing the other patrons to you to ask you if you want a drink, are you waiting for someone, want some company, etc. to the point where it becomes genuinely unsettling to be there in a space that you have every right to be in, where you are doing nothing wrong or provocative or anything other than being yourself, being quiet, being unobtrusive, and yet there is this... air that something deeply unpleasant could happen to you. Someone could touch you, lightly or more forcefully. It has happened before, it might happen again. Someone is sitting too close to you, brushes your hair out of your eyes. Someone grabs your arm, or won't take a polite "no thank you" as an end to a "conversation." So you go outside and wait, or walk down the block to somewhere you feel "safe," whatever that means, until your companion joins you. You are excluded because you are unsafe where you are. And you have done nothing wrong except be yourself. That's only one example. It's happened to me enough times that it's kind of unremarkable. It's a story many of my friends could tell too. I'm not that special. 

So maybe yes, it is too simple to say we are the same as Syria or better than Somalia. I myself would have liked to see who the experts were that were surveyed. But it's important to note that this is a "perception" survey, and at that snapshot in time, that is how our country was perceived.These aren't hard and fast metrics, really. And I know that it's not like my little story is that bad. But there are so many women I know who have far worse stories than mine, women who were raped by loved ones and strangers alike, women who tried to "be good girls" and report it to the police and ended up with NO justice. It happened to one of my very closest friends. She's very tough, but it destroyed her for a while; it happened almost 10 years ago and she's still dealing with the effects. We're not so very special here in America that we can dismiss how unequal things are for men and women. If you don't see it, it may be it's not close enough to you.  

11 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Hi! Actual woman here (I don't think any of you who have posted so far in here are women but I could be wrong... :D). I just wanted to pipe up in defense of the Thomson Reuters Foundation, which is absolutely NOT an America-hating left wing organization. (Wow!) I clicked the link you provided, and while it states that the Foundation has a "left-center" bias (um, there is "center" in there!), its factual reporting accuracy is high, it is always well-sourced and factual. And even though that factcheck website points out that the Foundation isn't the same as Reuters, and is only the charitable arm of Reuters, Reuters has a VERY good reputation for neutral and highly factual content. I took a course in journalism at Pasadena City College a few years back when I was still living there, and it was one of the news organizations that was an example of how to do journalism without a slant. Also, the Foundation does *so* much good work in the world in terms of training reporters across the globe and fighting human trafficking and slavery. 

I guess maybe I wonder why -- and I don't mean this as an attack -- people who are experts in the field of women's issues, experts who include "aid and development professionals, academics, health workers, policymakers, non-government organisation workers, journalists, and social commentators," are automatically dismissed as not knowing enough to talk about women's issues... but the guys in here do? :huh: To be fair, ALFKAD says he's no expert. I'm not saying I'm an expert on all women, but I have about 30-something (lower end of that scale!) years of experience being a woman in the world, mostly America, and I do have *some* opinions on that.

I lucked out in the privilege lottery, white, straight, (upperish) middle class, college-educated, fairly attractive and blonde (well, strawberry blonde, close enough!). And yet being a woman here, in America, is to frequently feel like... you have some handicap. Do you know what it's like to walk into a bar to meet a friend, and you're a little early, and you're the only person of your gender/sex/whatever there? And that difference puts you on edge, because your very difference is drawing the other patrons to you to ask you if you want a drink, are you waiting for someone, want some company, etc. to the point where it becomes genuinely unsettling to be there in a space that you have every right to be in, where you are doing nothing wrong or provocative or anything other than being yourself, being quiet, being unobtrusive, and yet there is this... air that something deeply unpleasant could happen to you. Someone could touch you, lightly or more forcefully. It has happened before, it might happen again. Someone is sitting too close to you, brushes your hair out of your eyes. Someone grabs your arm, or won't take a polite "no thank you" as an end to a "conversation." So you go outside and wait, or walk down the block to somewhere you feel "safe," whatever that means, until your companion joins you. You are excluded because you are unsafe where you are. And you have done nothing wrong except be yourself. That's only one example. It's happened to me enough times that it's kind of unremarkable. It's a story many of my friends could tell too. I'm not that special. 

So maybe yes, it is too simple to say we are the same as Syria or better than Somalia. I myself would have liked to see who the experts were that were surveyed. But it's important to note that this is a "perception" survey, and at that snapshot in time, that is how our country was perceived.These aren't hard and fast metrics, really. And I know that it's not like my little story is that bad. But there are so many women I know who have far worse stories than mine, women who were raped by loved ones and strangers alike, women who tried to "be good girls" and report it to the police and ended up with NO justice. It happened to one of my very closest friends. She's very tough, but it destroyed her for a while; it happened almost 10 years ago and she's still dealing with the effects. We're not so very special here in America that we can dismiss how unequal things are for men and women. If you don't see it, it may be it's not close enough to you.  

Except its not and the study was a farces