Neonred

Want to fight climate change? Drink gin made from peas

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Posting this in case there are any left leaning environmentalists worried about climate change still reading CEHST.

We all presumably want to do what’s best for the environment, whether it’s recycling, avoiding food waste, driving more fuel-efficient cars, or anything else that we’ve been told will help. But what if we could do our part just by the way we order cocktails?

A new study published in the journal "Environmental International" outlines a novel way to help reduce carbon dioxide and nitrous oxide emissions (harmful greenhouse gases): drink gin made from pea starch instead of the traditional wheat. This might be an easy way to increase efforts against climate change in the countries doing the least to protect the environment.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/27/global-warming-climate-change-drink-gin-made-from-peas/39804305/

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

33 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

I would prefer a climate friendly scotch

This is my favorite: https://thewhiskeyjug.com/scotch-whisky/edradour-10-years-review/

It's made in a tiny distillery in Perthshire, where my fiance is from. It's not fancy or particularly expensive, but I have developed a taste for it over the years. We shared some the night we met, so I am very sentimental about it, in addition to genuinely loving the taste. They only make 18 casks of it a week, so maybe that makes it more climate friendly? :D 

16 minutes ago, laylalex said:

This is my favorite: https://thewhiskeyjug.com/scotch-whisky/edradour-10-years-review/

It's made in a tiny distillery in Perthshire, where my fiance is from. It's not fancy or particularly expensive, but I have developed a taste for it over the years. We shared some the night we met, so I am very sentimental about it, in addition to genuinely loving the taste. They only make 18 casks of it a week, so maybe that makes it more climate friendly? :D 

Adds to the specialness

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Finally, a climate concept I can get behind!  Any brand recommendations?

You know, I am not a gin drinker.....bad experience first week of college so long ago.   I am more into beer.  Was wondering how it might work making beer out of pea starch or other environmentally friendly ingredients.  I have had beer that I believe was made out of skunk piss however.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
15 hours ago, Neonred said:

We all presumably want to do what’s best for the environment

Still want to know whether farting outdoors contributes more to global warming than does farting indoors.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, Neonred said:

You know, I am not a gin drinker.....bad experience first week of college so long ago.   I am more into beer.  Was wondering how it might work making beer out of pea starch or other environmentally friendly ingredients. I have had beer that I believe was made out of skunk piss however.

Pretty much all American beer, IMO.