BrianUSA

Misrepresentation - ban for life?

67 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
1 hour ago, BrianUSA said:

But I am worried that they will see that our honeymoon lasted only one week, maybe that's not enough

You had more face time than we did.

1 visit:  Got married.  3 weeks.

1 more visit while waiting for the petition to process.  Two weeks.

The only thing I was able to do jointly was take advantage of the life change and add her to health insurance pending social security number.

You are overthinking this and probably stressing your poor wife as well.  Both of you need to understand that there is less than a half hour at that counter, a lot of that time is taken up reviewing original documents and getting the file straightened out, and the questions asked come out of the documents you filed (example they may ask her about your children from previous marriage, etc) and things like that.  She gets one sentence to answer and moves on.  IT IS OK to say “I don’t know much about that but this is what I do know” in an interview.  She needs to well know everything that is in front of that CO and needs to be able to highlight your relationship milestones (dont know your circumstances but things like previous marriages etc come up and she needs to be briefed).  

I was lucky and got to attend two of them because we have lived in and out of the US so much.  Had one where the CO asked ME (USC) if I knew her mobile number.  I was like “nope it’s wifey on the mobile and since we have smartphones you guys oughta make us bring em in and check em instead of leavin’ them outside” and he laughed and that was it.  

You overthink, you go in nervous, you can blow the interview.  Seen it here.  But the VAST majority of CR1/IR1 interviews (as the three my wife attended and our AOS) go well with no issues.  Most that have issues - the issues are related to missing paperwork.   You are going to be fine.

9 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

You had more face time than we did.

1 visit:  Got married.  3 weeks.

1 more visit while waiting for the petition to process.  Two weeks.

The only thing I was able to do jointly was take advantage of the life change and add her to health insurance pending social security number.

You are overthinking this and probably stressing your poor wife as well.  Both of you need to understand that there is less than a half hour at that counter, a lot of that time is taken up reviewing original documents and getting the file straightened out, and the questions asked come out of the documents you filed (example they may ask her about your children from previous marriage, etc) and things like that.  She gets one sentence to answer and moves on.  IT IS OK to say “I don’t know much about that but this is what I do know” in an interview.  She needs to well know everything that is in front of that CO and needs to be able to highlight your relationship milestones (dont know your circumstances but things like previous marriages etc come up and she needs to be briefed).  

I was lucky and got to attend two of them because we have lived in and out of the US so much.  Had one where the CO asked ME (USC) if I knew her mobile number.  I was like “nope it’s wifey on the mobile and since we have smartphones you guys oughta make us bring em in and check em instead of leavin’ them outside” and he laughed and that was it.  

You overthink, you go in nervous, you can blow the interview.  Seen it here.  But the VAST majority of CR1/IR1 interviews (as the three my wife attended and our AOS) go well with no issues.  Most that have issues - the issues are related to missing paperwork.   You are going to be fine.

Aren't they reviewing everything before the interview? I read that they already decide if the person is approved or not even before the interview started and only confirming thing at the interview, this is kinda worries me because we didn't really front load much.

30 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

To the OP, @missileman mentioned in one of his first responses Wills/Living Wills.  I would look into that as well.  Simple Wills can be done fairly quickly for at least yourself.  You can do one for her as well, but she will have to sign it and have it notarized in Portugal.

Good Luck!

I don't have assets or anything meaningful in order to have a will  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1 minute ago, BrianUSA said:

I don't have assets or anything meaningful in order to have a will  

Man, you don't need anything "meaningful" to write a will.  I would advise you to stop this negative thinking........you have been given good advice in this thread.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, BrianUSA said:

Aren't they reviewing everything before the interview? I read that they already decide if the person is approved or not even before the interview started and only confirming thing at the interview, this is kinda worries me because we didn't really front load much.

You will read different things everywhere, different experiences and different hurdles. Some couples get scrutinized for having a huge age gap where other couples get scrutinized from simply being from a high fraud country.

Your wife is from Portugal, this is not considered a high fraud country so that is an advantage. Please only focus on the circumstances of your case and provide the evidence that you have. Other people’s experiences are not applicable on your case necessarily. 

And I totally agree with @missileman; please get out of your negative overthinking mode because that might even come across as you are not even convinced about your relationship! 

Edited by Daphne K

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Timeline
7 minutes ago, BrianUSA said:

So when we went through I didnt know anything about front loading.  My package was exactly what they asked for.  No more, no less.  At that point?  One visit and married.

Approved with no RFE’s and interviewed with no issues.

Timeline
1 minute ago, BrianUSA said:

Not really familiar with the whole will writing thing lol sorry 

You can search the requirement for wills in your state.......then download the form, fill it in, and get it notarized.......all wills are not complicated.....and a will demonstrates a legal commitment........If you have any life insurance, you can make her the beneficiary.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, BrianUSA said:

Thats so amazing, hopefully we get that too

Be careful of comparing your case to others.......your wife should carry evidence of a bona fide relationship with her..........it is better to be over-prepared rather than face having the case returned to USCIS.......just my opinion.

Timeline
Just now, BrianUSA said:

Thats so amazing, hopefully we get that too

My wife has been through these formal interviews 5 times.  4 at embassies, and one AOS interview in the US.  The only interview where they looked at photos?  AOS in Houston.  Three embassy interviews I attended.  I was at the counter.      I don’t and didn’t miss anything lol.

As to the I130 package?  I submitted one in 2011 at the consulate (DCF).  By then I was full aware of the front end loading concept and this one was LOADED.  Joint bank statements.  Joint credit card statements.  Joint car insurance.  Joint car titles.  Beneficiary statements from 401k’s and life insurance. Copies of matching drivers licenses.  Lots of stuff.  I was proud.  LOL

What did the CO do?  Flipped through - “dont need this” - handed it back.  “Need this” kept it.  Never read any of it.  Kept the basic package, emailed us with instructions to prepare for the interview a few weeks later.  I KNOW nobody read it and the interview wasn’t at that consulate, it was at the embassy 4 hours away.

So I recollected all that stuff and she brought it to the interview.  The folder already had approved on the corner, CO didn’t ask her anything and focused on hammering me about my plans to return and settle back in the US.  

You are overthinking here and need to focus on the typical milestones every couple goes through from how you met to where you are on interview day, and be prepared to show evidence in the form of dated passport stamps and itineraries with your names, a few photos of those events, and address any issues from your past(s) if they come up and you’ll be fine.  For instance the CO confirmed with my wife “you do know he’s paying child support right” etc.

There is very little ability to initially show “joint” blending of your marriage when the beneficiary has no SS number.  Do what you can and don’t worry about what you cannot.  

Last post here.  Best of luck to both of you.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, BrianUSA said:

Yes she will of course 

Oh she definitely needs to bring everything you have.  I am sharing experiences because I stressed and prepared and packed up folders of all kinds of evidence every time we ever approached an immigration milestone and those were our experiences vs what I expected.

I would still (and even at our interview in 2017) get everything together and bring it just in case.

6 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

My wife has been through these formal interviews 5 times.  4 at embassies, and one AOS interview in the US.  The only interview where they looked at photos?  AOS in Houston.  Three embassy interviews I attended.  I was at the counter.      I don’t and didn’t miss anything lol.

As to the I130 package?  I submitted one in 2011 at the consulate (DCF).  By then I was full aware of the front end loading concept and this one was LOADED.  Joint bank statements.  Joint credit card statements.  Joint car insurance.  Joint car titles.  Beneficiary statements from 401k’s and life insurance. Copies of matching drivers licenses.  Lots of stuff.  I was proud.  LOL

What did the CO do?  Flipped through - “dont need this” - handed it back.  “Need this” kept it.  Never read any of it.  Kept the basic package, emailed us with instructions to prepare for the interview a few weeks later.  I KNOW nobody read it and the interview wasn’t at that consulate, it was at the embassy 4 hours away.

So I recollected all that stuff and she brought it to the interview.  The folder already had approved on the corner, CO didn’t ask her anything and focused on hammering me about my plans to return and settle back in the US.  

You are overthinking here and need to focus on the typical milestones every couple goes through from how you met to where you are on interview day, and be prepared to show evidence in the form of dated passport stamps and itineraries with your names, a few photos of those events, and address any issues from your past(s) if they come up and you’ll be fine.  For instance the CO confirmed with my wife “you do know he’s paying child support right” etc.

There is very little ability to initially show “joint” blending of your marriage when the beneficiary has no SS number.  Do what you can and don’t worry about what you cannot.  

Last post here.  Best of luck to both of you.

If you don't mind me asking, why did she have so many interviews?

Timeline
9 minutes ago, BrianUSA said:

If you don't mind me asking, why did she have so many interviews?

K3/AOS (which is two petition packages - those were the basic ones) then I went on expat assignment. Abandoned the card, refiled (that petition was LOADED) returned to the US.  Went back on expat assignment, refiled again for (rare and difficult) SB1 which is (two) interviews, returned last year.  

No more.  Her next interview will be N-400 if I can talk her into it LOL.  

We do treat those interviews like preparing for a mission even after so many experiences at those counters and she ALWAYS brings loads of evidence but there is a huge difference between what we prepare for and what actually happens so I am NOT advising you to be unprepared but I am trying to get you guys to settle down and focus on getting what you have together in a neat and easy to follow relationship timeline with simple milestone evidence to go with your relationship story.  

Edited by Nitas_man

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.