leslie12

Service Corps & Expediting Questions (Haiti)

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, chabalal said:

Thanks for the advice. It's a fairly small program and they are essentially making an exception for my friend and one other person that has applied. I don't think that I nor my organization knew that it would be this complicated 😓

If anyone's still out there, could you do me a favor and let me know if the DS-160 form is working on your computer? The "Start Your Application" button has been grayed out/not working for me all day. I tried posting in a thread someone started about this a while ago, but haven't gotten any replies. I tried clearing my cookies/history and viewing from multiple devices/OS/browsers. Not sure if it's a site overload issue or maintenance. It's just somewhat troublesome for when we have our questions all answered and are fully ready to start the application.

2146079385_ScreenShot2019-07-21at11_51_57AM.png.2d2564c128586b29059e99237cede22e.png

You are getting some great advice here from some of VJ's best senior members, but you do not seem to be absorbing it.

Your friend cannot use a B visa to stay in the US for a year, or to work for the program which you have described.  He will be denied, possibly compromising his path to the correct visa for him. 

You seem very keen to help him with this, but I guarantee that if you rush into it without educating yourself and your friend on the subject, the outcome will not be what you hope for.

1 minute ago, chabalal said:

Sorry for leaving this part out - as per your advice, I put in a request with a local immigration law agency and have also been asking around to see if the organization has connections.

However, we will still need to access this form once we have been given the legal advice, correct?

You have some work to do before worrying about that form.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

First things first.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, chabalal said:

Ok, but it may only be a few days, and I'd like to know that the form is working.

If it's down nationwide, that is actually a very big issue and I'm wondering why no one else seems concerned?

To be pedantic (about the “nationwide”), no one inside the US should care if that form is down, as it’s only for people wanting visas to enter. Also., it’s sunday. I haven’t tried the form myself, these things go down every so often, usually not for very long.

If you want to prep anything, rather than the DS, I’d suggest you look into what might be needed to be done if the lawyer says it has to be J1 (as I think you will have to undergo some red tape to register as a sponsoring organization in that case), or alternatively if the organization can alter the terms for an unpaid, maximum 6 month volunteer opportunity instead as that would be ok for a B visa (afaik).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Where’s this other applicant from? And how did these applicants learn of this opportunity? 

Plenty of Haitians in the US who could do this, no? 

Based on what you said, the organization would have to register with State Department and/or USCIS to be able to issue papers for J-1 program... Not something completed in three weeks time. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Time to be blunt since OP is not getting it.

You have no idea what you are doing.  You are fixated on the DS-160 because you think it's the correct form.  It's not.

You are seriously messing with people's lives.  If there are other opportunities for them to come to the US, you are screwing with it.

Just stop what you are doing.  Just stop.  Wait for the lawyer to get back to you.  Don't presume that the lawyer is going to tell you that you are on the right path.  I guarantee you that you are not.   

For their sakes, just stop and wait for the lawyer to give you legal advice.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi I can’t speak for the most appropriate type of visa in this situation but I will let you know it’s highly unlikely he would have an interview in Haiti by Aug 12, never mind starting the program in the US by then. The current political situation is seriously creating a backlog is appointments, etc.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

53 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Hi I can’t speak for the most appropriate type of visa in this situation but I will let you know it’s highly unlikely he would have an interview in Haiti by Aug 12, never mind starting the program in the US by then. The current political situation is seriously creating a backlog is appointments, etc.

Well, that's an excellent point that also depends on the type of visa. I just looked it up. Visitor (B) visas are a 340 calendar day wait at Port-au-Prince, but student/exchange visitors (ie if they can get the J stuff sorted out) is just 2 days, as are other NIVs. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

Either way, it looks like there is little chance of an August 12 start date (I am assuming that whatever is needed for J sponsorship is going to take longer than a week or two).

Edited by SusieQQQ

So looking at the website, I don’t see anywhere where it looks like they would accept an international person to come be a fellow or work for this organization 

https://www.hfi-pgh.org/holy-family-service-corps/

Op, how about some more details on your friend from Haiti? How do you know him and how was he specifically selected for this opportunity? What’s his educational background? 

5DCFC301-69F2-4640-BF46-B798F71671B4.png

0D08AFA9-A427-4B95-B416-251BDC7669BD.png

AC4876CA-97A4-4535-931A-2F05A25F075A.png

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, that's an excellent point that also depends on the type of visa. I just looked it up. Visitor (B) visas are a 340 calendar day wait at Port-au-Prince, but student/exchange visitors (ie if they can get the J stuff sorted out) is just 2 days, as are other NIVs. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html

Either way, it looks like there is little chance of an August 12 start date (I am assuming that whatever is needed for J sponsorship is going to take longer than a week or two).

That’s a great site! To the OP though - even if it was a j visa I wouldn’t trust that site as being accurate as I’ve been looking to help out a cousin schedule an appointment to register his daughter as a US citizen and they only have appointments only 2 days a week - a month out. The embassy was closed for about a month in June due to political turmoil. And that’s for US citizens never mind Haitians! 

Realistically your company should look into this student starting next summer and even then, unfortunately, it’s really difficult for Haitians to come... I just hope that he hasn’t been given false hope of it definitely happening in a few weeks. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Yet another case of radio silence from an OP who doesn't return after the feedback isn't positive for what they want to do.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.