Boris Farage

Does a former K1 visa holder need permission to file a K1 or CR1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: England
Timeline

I am a naturalised US citizen as of late 2017, filing under the 5-year rule. I came over here on a K1 in 2010, went through AOS and ROC with my ex-wife. We separated in early 2017 but our divorce was not finalised until earlier this year so we were still married at the time I filed for (and obtained) citizenship. I am now considering remarriage as I would very much like to start a family before I get much older; my ex had promised me she wanted to raise children with me but this turned out to be untrue, and one of the many reasons we proved to be incompatible. Is it necessary for a former K1 visa holder to obtain permission or a waiver of some sort from USCIS to petition a fiancee or wife for a K1 or CR1 visa? There is no tearing hurry for me to obtain such permission, if necessary, as I am only now beginning to consider looking outside of the US for a new wife.

-

“He’s in there fighting,” the president said. “Boris knows how to win.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boris Farage said:

I am a naturalised US citizen as of late 2017, filing under the 5-year rule. I came over here on a K1 in 2010, went through AOS and ROC with my ex-wife. We separated in early 2017 but our divorce was not finalised until earlier this year so we were still married at the time I filed for (and obtained) citizenship. I am now considering remarriage as I would very much like to start a family before I get much older; my ex had promised me she wanted to raise children with me but this turned out to be untrue, and one of the many reasons we proved to be incompatible. Is it necessary for a former K1 visa holder to obtain permission or a waiver of some sort from USCIS to petition a fiancee or wife for a K1 or CR1 visa? There is no tearing hurry for me to obtain such permission, if necessary, as I am only now beginning to consider looking outside of the US for a new wife.

Only permission you need is citizenship 

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Only permission you need is citizenship 

Thank you. This applies even when a new citizen's divorce is very recent? It has been less than six months until I obtained the final decree from the court. 

-

49 minutes ago, Boris Farage said:

Thank you. This applies even when a new citizen's divorce is very recent? It has been less than six months until I obtained the final decree from the court. 

Should not matter.  My husband's divorce was final 9 months before we filed, but I have seen many posters here who filed before the ink on the judge's signature was dry!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Boris Farage said:

You need to be a USC for the K-1 or CR-1  ... the rest is up to you.  :thumbs:  

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Should not matter.  My husband's divorce was final 9 months before we filed, but I have seen many posters here who filed before the ink on the judge's signature was dry!

Thank you. I feel like I have put my life on hold long enough waiting for the court to decide I was entitled to what I decided long ago was best for me. I am still a relatively young man (34) and would prefer to become a father when I am still young enough to have an active life with my children. 

1 hour ago, Hank_ said:

You need to be a USC for the K-1 or CR-1  ... the rest is up to you.  :thumbs:  

A proud USC here -- served on a jury for the first time in this country here very recently, quite interesting case about financial fraud, only disappointed that the jury did not get to deliberate because the parties settled before deliberations. Looking forward to voting in my first presidential election next year. 

The next step is indeed up to me -- I'd better get moving! 

-

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Boris Farange US girls not good enough for ya? 😂

Speaking of US girls, just got back from visiting mine! What a wild week it has been! We are so ready to just get married and get on with our lives, this week seemed liked minutes. And so much pressure from her mum, she wants MORE grandchildren haha! I dunno how I feel about that, her two kids are already a handful and I think they're still very wary around me.

Anyway I had a little incident at the border that about made me wet my trousers. We decided I should start moving as much of my stuff to her apartment as I could, so this was the first trip. Lot of books, a bunch of my clothes I don't wear much, a kettle because I have two (long story) and some chicken netting! Chicken netting you ask? Well see, Deb and I have had this dream, mostly Deb but I'm totally into it now, where we eventually want to have a duck farm. It's a long way off, but I do a lot of reading and really think I'm getting to be an expert in the duck biz before I've even held a duck in my hands lol. Anyway I found a guy on CL that was just giving a roll of chicken netting away and I thought it would be good to hold onto it for the future Quacking Paddock, the name her mum came up with. So I get to the border and the US border guard asked me what it was for. Oh man I get so nervous and I thought if I told him about the duck farm, it wouldn't look good for when we need to adjust status. So I told him I was helping a friend build a chicken coop. He didn't ask any more about it, and I don't think they did anything to my passport but I'm not sure I think he might have made a note. Does this mean I have some kind of permenant record now? I had about three suitcases of clothes too and he asked how long I was staying, so I told him I was giving most of those clothes to my friend.

Anyway it was really sad to have to come back and I go back to work tomorrow. Unfortunately we didn't make any decisions on how to do our journey, but we both agree we really want to be together right now! She is even starting to look at dresses and venues. 😓

Timeline

41 minutes ago, ducks said:

Quite simply, my experience has not been completely positive. I spent over six years married to a "US girl" as you so charmingly put it. During that time, I became acquainted with her sister and her friends. Perhaps I was excessively unlucky, but nearly all of them were vain, self-centred, insecure and money-focused. They were "feminists" when it suited them, but they -- especially my ex -- were more than happy to take money from their boyfriends or husbands. None of them -- even those settled with a husband -- had any interest in starting a family or domestic life in general. My ex-wife had a difficult time transitioning from being a single woman to a wife; she was more interested in going out with friends than tending to our home. 

Perhaps I am old-fashioned, my ex certainly always told me I was, and she liked that at first, but I want to share my life and my life's journey woman who is more traditional, like I am. It is not a popular viewpoint amongst men my age, I have found, and American women's reaction to it has been... mixed. I will not lie; I have a comfortable life, and I am more than happy to share it with a woman who understands that a relationship involves both give AND take. I have had a lot of the latter, and less of the former. American women like what I have to offer up to a point, but that point is usually reached when they understand I am not a cashpoint and don't hand out dollar bills without expecting companionship and affection in kind.

Good luck with your woman, she sounds like she has a strong entrepreneurial streak, which I quite admire. Take your time and learn who she really is before making the leap into marriage. I was blinded by young love when I married my ex. I won't make that mistake this time. I do think you should start your own thread though, as it is not on my topic.

-

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
16 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

I am a naturalised US citizen.  Is it necessary for a former K1 visa holder to obtain permission or a waiver of some sort from USCIS to petition a fiancee or wife for a K1 or CR1 visa? There is no tearing hurry for me to obtain such permission, if necessary, as I am only now beginning to consider looking outside of the US for a new wife.

The point of the petition (I-129F or I-130) is to determine your eligibility to bring your fiancé or bride to the US. There is no pre-permission. 

No permission needed. You're now a US citizen with all the rights and responsibilities that come with it. 

Just to add my little experience. I was married to a USC and we didn't work out. We got divorced and I married a tourist overstayer. The day I naturalized I sent his AOS application. He has a green card now. 

12 hours ago, ducks said:

Oh boy, this gonna be good.

11 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

Quite simply, my experience has not been completely positive. I spent over six years married to a "US girl" as you so charmingly put it. During that time, I became acquainted with her sister and her friends. Perhaps I was excessively unlucky, but nearly all of them were vain, self-centred, insecure and money-focused. They were "feminists" when it suited them, but they -- especially my ex -- were more than happy to take money from their boyfriends or husbands. None of them -- even those settled with a husband -- had any interest in starting a family or domestic life in general. My ex-wife had a difficult time transitioning from being a single woman to a wife; she was more interested in going out with friends than tending to our home. 

Perhaps I am old-fashioned, my ex certainly always told me I was, and she liked that at first, but I want to share my life and my life's journey woman who is more traditional, like I am. It is not a popular viewpoint amongst men my age, I have found, and American women's reaction to it has been... mixed. I will not lie; I have a comfortable life, and I am more than happy to share it with a woman who understands that a relationship involves both give AND take. I have had a lot of the latter, and less of the former. American women like what I have to offer up to a point, but that point is usually reached when they understand I am not a cashpoint and don't hand out dollar bills without expecting companionship and affection in kind.

Good luck with your woman, she sounds like she has a strong entrepreneurial streak, which I quite admire. Take your time and learn who she really is before making the leap into marriage. I was blinded by young love when I married my ex. I won't make that mistake this time. I do think you should start your own thread though, as it is not on my topic.

Yup, does not disappoint. Been a while since we had one of these "American women be crazy" posts, thanks for reminding me of this VJ trope.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

There are plenty of traditional, old fashioned, domestically and child-rearing inclined US ladies that exist. We can even multitask and be feminists at the same time. ;) That being said if there's not plenty of fish in the US-sea for ya, as a US citizen there's nothing that should prevent you from filing for whatever girl of your dreams that hopefully exists.

There are also plenty of financially independent and successful American women who have no need to look to a man to support them.  Many of us make way more money than our significant others.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The point of the petition (I-129F or I-130) is to determine your eligibility to bring your fiancé or bride to the US. There is no pre-permission. 

Excellent to know -- thank you. I had had some vague recollection that USCIS will scrutinize more closely the petition of a newly-divorced immigrant, but I suppose the citizenship lifts some of that scrutiny.

1 hour ago, elmcitymaven said:

Oh boy, this gonna be good.

Yup, does not disappoint. Been a while since we had one of these "American women be crazy" posts, thanks for reminding me of this VJ trope.

So glad to have provided you with entertainment this morning. I was merely remarking upon my own experience with women in this country, and what has proven to be my incompatibility with them so far. If you are offended, you may dismiss me. As a 'feminist killjoy,' I suspect we would be unlikely to see eye to eye.

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

There are plenty of traditional, old fashioned, domestically and child-rearing inclined US ladies that exist. We can even multitask and be feminists at the same time. ;) That being said if there's not plenty of fish in the US-sea for ya, as a US citizen there's nothing that should prevent you from filing for whatever girl of your dreams that hopefully exists.

Ho ho, nicely done. I suppose that there are such women, as there are in the UK, but they are not in the circles I mix in out here. Unfortunately work obligations keep me in California, which in many ways is not an ideal environment for me (politically, culturally). I am in the first stages of considering whether to look further afield -- been corresponding with an old flame back in London, rekindling some of the old sparks, but it is early days and I am weighing the options carefully.

19 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

There are also plenty of financially independent and successful American women who have no need to look to a man to support them.  Many of us make way more money than our significant others.

I appear to have struck a nerve with the Anglophone types on here -- two with British flags and one Kiwi. It may be a sign! No, I am quite aware that American women are more than able to support themselves without the need of men. My former sister-in-law is one of them, built a very successful career as an agent. Beautiful woman, quite canny, but temperamentally incapable of commitment. 

Edited by Boris Farage
Grammar; word choice.

-

8 hours ago, Boris Farage said:

So glad to have provided you with entertainment this morning. I was merely remarking upon my own experience with women in this country, and what has proven to be my incompatibility with them so far. If you are offended, you may dismiss me. As a 'feminist killjoy,' I suspect we would be unlikely to see eye to eye.

Ho ho, nicely done. I suppose that there are such women, as there are in the UK, but they are not in the circles I mix in out here. Unfortunately work obligations keep me in California, which in many ways is not an ideal environment for me (politically, culturally). I am in the first stages of considering whether to look further afield -- been corresponding with an old flame back in London, rekindling some of the old sparks, but it is early days and I am weighing the options carefully.

I appear to have struck a nerve with the Anglophone types on here -- two with British flags and one Kiwi. It may be a sign! No, I am quite aware that American women are more than able to support themselves without the need of men. My former sister-in-law is one of them, built a very successful career as an agent. Beautiful woman, quite canny, but temperamentally incapable of commitment. 

Well, golly! You do sound like quite the catch. Good luck in your search "further afield"; presumably your old flame is more comfortable with your ways than your ex.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.