Jump to content
cmkl

Question about consulate interview

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi there, I was hoping somebody may be able to help me, I just had a couple of questions. 

Me and my fiance are living and working in Canada on a temporary work visa that expires October 2020. I am a UK citizen and she a US citizen. 

After a long consideration we have decided to get married next week while here.  

We can then apply straight for a CR-1 visa as opposed to the K1 visa which we were initially going to go for, but this makes more sense for us now.   

 

We are hoping to file the I-130 before the end of August this year, giving us just under 14 months to complete the process. 

My question however, was that if we choose the Montreal consulate as the interview location,  if in the event I have not had my interview yet, would I still be able to come back and attend the consulate interview on a visitor visa if the worst case scenario happens and I have to return to the UK. 

 

We are doing this ASAP to allow as much time as possible before the expiration of our visas, however I am aware processing times are taking longer than usual currently and can sometimes take longer than 14 months. 

 

I was also wondering about domicile - as we are on a temporary work visa, my fiance has kept ties to the US. She has bank accounts with funds in, drivers license, filing taxes, and we will be living in her mothers house for as long as required. Do you think this would be OK for the consulate to show intent to domicile, as on expiration of the work permit she would be returning to the US anyway as it is only a temporary work visa? She can also gain an offer of employment from her father as she will be working for his business on return. 

 

Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cmkl said:

My question however, was that if we choose the Montreal consulate as the interview location,  if in the event I have not had my interview yet, would I still be able to come back and attend the consulate interview on a visitor visa if the worst case scenario happens and I have to return to the UK. 

Generally, consulates require that the applicant legally reside in country in a status other than a visitor.  In fact, the Montreal checklist i read a few months ago requires the applicant to submit a copy of the work permit, asylum permit, resident card, etc. at the interview.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/MTL - Montreal.pdf

 

image.png.ee9d4938c6f118b686e2be7bb478b4d2.png


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, missileman said:

Generally, consulates require that the applicant legally reside in country in a status other than a visitor.  In fact, the Montreal checklist i read a few months ago requires the applicant to submit a copy of the work permit, asylum permit, resident card, etc. at the interview.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Supplemental/MTL - Montreal.pdf

 

image.png.ee9d4938c6f118b686e2be7bb478b4d2.png

Thanks for the response. 

So should I not have my interview scheduled in time, what do you suggest I do? Could I still attend the interview as normal ?

This is very stressful as changing interview location for consulate would delay the application by a substantial period of time. 

Do you think they would make an exception due to circumstance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cmkl said:

Thanks for the response. 

So should I not have my interview scheduled in time, what do you suggest I do? Could I still attend the interview as normal ?

This is very stressful as changing interview location for consulate would delay the application by a substantial period of time. 

Do you think they would make an exception due to circumstance? 

I would email the Montreal consulate and ask.......


                    "What I am to be, I am now becoming"-  Benjamin Franklin     

   :idea:MSC (National Benefits Center) I-751 filers- Please add your data :idea:                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Id1duRRByZHJmhEzl9N25GqwzcnUyLCR4e4N9W6zGLg/edit#gid=0

 

Retired 20 year US Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

Immigration Journey:

  • Texas Service Center after transfer from Nebraska
  • Consulate :Taipei, Taiwan
  • Marriage: 7/30/2015
  • I-130 NOA1 : 4/27/2016
  • I-130 Approved :9/8/2016
  • Case received at NVC: 10/11/2016                               
  • Case # and IIN#: 10/24/2016
  • AOS Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • AOS Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • IV Fee Invoiced:10/24/2016  
  • IV Fee Paid:10/25/2016
  • DS-260 Completed: 10/28/16
  • Scan Date:11/9/2016
  • Supervisor review: 12/21/16 
  • Checklist: 1/13/17 
  • Case Complete: 4/10/17
  • Interview Date: 5/8/17 
  • Visa  "ISSUED": 5/10/17
  • Visa and Passport in hand/Flight to USA Booked!!!: 5/12/17  
  • POE Dallas DFW on June 22, 2017
  • SS Card received : 7/3/2017
  • 2-year Green Card received in mail: 7/15/17
  • I751 mailed to Dallas PO Box: 3/28/2019
  • I-797 extension letter  for ROC dated 4/2/2019  MSCxxxxxxxxxx received: 4/6/2019
  • Biometrics apt received for 4/25/2019: on 4/12/2019
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cmkl said:

Hi there, I was hoping somebody may be able to help me, I just had a couple of questions. 

Me and my fiance are living and working in Canada on a temporary work visa that expires October 2020. I am a UK citizen and she a US citizen. 

After a long consideration we have decided to get married next week while here.  

We can then apply straight for a CR-1 visa as opposed to the K1 visa which we were initially going to go for, but this makes more sense for us now.   

 

We are hoping to file the I-130 before the end of August this year, giving us just under 14 months to complete the process. 

My question however, was that if we choose the Montreal consulate as the interview location,  if in the event I have not had my interview yet, would I still be able to come back and attend the consulate interview on a visitor visa if the worst case scenario happens and I have to return to the UK. 

 

We are doing this ASAP to allow as much time as possible before the expiration of our visas, however I am aware processing times are taking longer than usual currently and can sometimes take longer than 14 months. 

 

I was also wondering about domicile - as we are on a temporary work visa, my fiance has kept ties to the US. She has bank accounts with funds in, drivers license, filing taxes, and we will be living in her mothers house for as long as required. Do you think this would be OK for the consulate to show intent to domicile, as on expiration of the work permit she would be returning to the US anyway as it is only a temporary work visa? She can also gain an offer of employment from her father as she will be working for his business on return. 

 

Any help would be much appreciated.

 

Thanks

 

 

Domicile:  She has enough

 

Location:  I would suggest mailing address Canada, permanent address UK, and interview in the UK.  That’s just me and why take the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can change your interview consulate at the later stage also. You will only have to prove that you are legally living in the country where you want to move your case. 

 

I moved my case to another country at NVC stage and it took around two weeks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Montreal is probably the hardest place to get through on the domicile issue. For that reason alone you might want to consider nominating London as your embassy for the interview. Have a read of this - there have been many denials in Montreal for people in a similar situation:

 

Domicile is so huge at Montreal that we even have a whole sticky thread dedicated to it.  

 

The alternative is that the USC returns home before the interview and establishes himself here again. Yes that will mean being apart for a few months (most of us have survived longer periods apart) but that’s certainly less painful than a denial. 


 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses guys. 

After considering we are going to nominate London as the embassy for interview. Would this cause any conflict as our mailing address would still be in Canada?

I would basically schedule the medical and fly back to the UK when I get the interview. Am based in Vancouver so would have had to fly over to Montreal anyway (whats another 4 hours in a plane!) We just feel like this will have least risk involved with Montreal's track record on the domicile issue, and potentially not having an interview scheduled before expiration of our visa here. 

 

I still have a permanent address in the UK (my parents) and have a bank account etc in UK. 

 

Thanks again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...