prettylilraindrop

K-1 petition payment help

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Me and my fiance just got engaged after 3 years of long distance. We are super excited and just putting together everything needed for the I-129f form, reading through the guidelines and support offered on this website, which is proving to be very helpful so far!

I understand we have to make a payment of $535 as a check preferable or money transfer. The only issue is, my fiance (the petitioner) doesn't currently have a bank account, he instead just has a debit card, of which you can't write checks to as it's just a netspend card. We have tried to open one but seems to be taking some time and I know it will also take some time to send across the money.

The money is being given to us via my parents (I am the beneficiary) therefore, I am wondering whether it is better to send the payment from myself. I have a UK bank account, so the currency is in GBP so wondering if this would still work to send this in dollars and if it would look bad coming from my account?

Just to explain the money situation- my parents are giving all my siblings money for a house deposit, however as me and my fiance are finally in a position where we can apply for this (meeting the income requirements etc), they have agreed to give us this money for the visa process. Therefore they will be paying for all that is involved with the visa fees. Just wanted to explain the situation.

Please read 

https://www.uscis.gov/fees

they can send the money to your fiancé, no problem. He will have to convert it to dollars and cash it out and get a money order if he doesn’t have checks or credit cards

Edited by p-ana

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Money orders are always an option.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Me and my fiance just got engaged after 3 years of long distance. We are super excited and just putting together everything needed for the I-129f form, reading through the guidelines and support offered on this website, which is proving to be very helpful so far!

I understand we have to make a payment of $535 as a check preferable or money transfer. The only issue is, my fiance (the petitioner) doesn't currently have a bank account, he instead just has a debit card, of which you can't write checks to as it's just a netspend card. We have tried to open one but seems to be taking some time and I know it will also take some time to send across the money.

The money is being given to us via my parents (I am the beneficiary) therefore, I am wondering whether it is better to send the payment from myself. I have a UK bank account, so the currency is in GBP so wondering if this would still work to send this in dollars and if it would look bad coming from my account?

Just to explain the money situation- my parents are giving all my siblings money for a house deposit, however as me and my fiance are finally in a position where we can apply for this (meeting the income requirements etc), they have agreed to give us this money for the visa process. Therefore they will be paying for all that is involved with the visa fees. Just wanted to explain the situation.

Is the debit card Visa or Mastercard logo'd 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The only issue is, my fiance (the petitioner) doesn't currently have a bank account, 

I would say, time to be a grown up and open a bank account before starting the process. Then your parents can use Transferwise.com to move some money over to him if/when needed. 

I have a UK bank account, so the currency is in GBP so wondering if this would still work to send this in dollars and if it would look bad coming from my account?

Don't worry so much about if what they might be thinking. They just want payment in US dollars. They don't care if grandma sends the money. 

For planning ahead, here are your upcoming costs. Note- some are $ and some are £ depending on who is getting paid.

K1 fiancé basic fees

$535 Fiancé Petition (USCIS)

£45 police certificate (ACRO)

£350 medical (Knightsbridge) pay at the appointment

$265 visa fee (Dept of State/Embassy) pay online 

$30 or $0 (Courier) home delivery or pick up at depot

-Enter USA and marry-

$1225 AOS/EAD/AP (USCIS)

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 7/11/2019 at 8:18 AM, payxibka said:

Is the debit card Visa or Mastercard logo'd 

It is a visa debit. I think we will be doing a money order instead, this is probably the easiest way

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.