Penny&Lee

AOS interview from K1 medical confusion

11 posts in this topic

Hey all!

I’ve seen many posts regarding this but it’s all really confusing me and I’m beginning to get stressed out-

I moved to the US on a K1 visa July 19 2018, and my interview is coming up in 2 weeks.

Reading through the prep checklist for it, I see mentioned about needing a completed medical examination (form I-693) (unless already submitted) 

before i moved, I had my medical exam in May 2018, my vaccination records weren’t up to date then - however I had the required shots before my k1 interview (June 2018) and submitted that evidence with the officer, and upon arrival in the USA I gave the officer at POE my sealed envelope and all I have left from my medical is my X-ray CD. I don’t have any copies of my vaccinations or anything else 😕 

So im here asking if I need another medical exam..? 

I’m seeing so many conflicting posts saying yes you need another medical and some saying no you do not depending on when you filed AOS after your medical.

(we filed my AOS in Nov 2018, so 6 months after my medical).

i hope I made sense and I look forward to responses, thank you 

Edited by Penny&Lee

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You are not required to have another medical exam. The one you had in London counts for the "unless already submitted", it was submitted and is supposed to be in your AOS file. 

It is your immunizations that appear to be a problem. You were lacking some at Knightsbridge so didn't get signed off by a doctor on the immunization form DS3025. So you have to get signed off now by a civil surgeon in the US on the immunization part of I-693.  

Once you leave your visa exam at Knightsbridge without being signed off on an official form, your only choice is seeing a civil surgeon after arriving in the US. Your GP in the UK can give you the missing shots, but he can't sign you off on the needed immigration document. The guy doing your K1 interview is not a panel physician so he couldn't sign you off. He didn't need to see your shot record at all. The guy doing your upcoming AOS interview isn't a civil surgeon and can't sign you off. 

So while you don't need the full medical exam over again, a civil surgeon needs to see all your immunization records so he can put them all on the I-693 (Part 9 Vaccination Record) and officially sign you off as complete on jabs. You may have trouble finding a civil surgeon who will do just the Part 9 for you. Many insist on doing a full medical or they won't help you. Call around and ask everybody on the list if they will certify your vaccinations only.

4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

You are not required to have another medical exam. The one you had in London counts for the "unless already submitted", it was submitted and is supposed to be in your AOS file. 

It is your immunizations that appear to be a problem. You were lacking some at Knightsbridge so didn't get signed off by a doctor on the immunization form DS3025. So you have to get signed off now by a civil surgeon in the US on the immunization part of I-693.  

Once you leave your visa exam at Knightsbridge without being signed off on an official form, your only choice is seeing a civil surgeon after arriving in the US. Your GP in the UK can give you the missing shots, but he can't sign you off on the needed immigration document. The guy doing your K1 interview is not a panel physician so he couldn't sign you off. He didn't need to see your shot record at all. The guy doing your upcoming AOS interview isn't a civil surgeon and can't sign you off. 

So while you don't need the full medical exam over again, a civil surgeon needs to see all your immunization records so he can put them all on the I-693 (Part 9 Vaccination Record) and officially sign you off as complete on jabs. You may have trouble finding a civil surgeon who will do just the Part 9 for you. Many insist on doing a full medical or they won't help you. Call around and ask everybody on the list if they will certify your vaccinations only.

Thank you so so so much! This makes a lot more sense. I will do that!

5 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

I also had the same question! My husband does have his DS3025 that is signed from Knightsbridge and it appears he already had all the correct immunizations. Based on what you said, it seems like we should be all set with just bringing the signed DS3025 form?

Thanks for your help! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Luna3716 said:

I also had the same question! My husband does have his DS3025 that is signed from Knightsbridge and it appears he already had all the correct immunizations. Based on what you said, it seems like we should be all set with just bringing the signed DS3025 form?

Thanks for your help! 

That's how it's supposed to work. No guarantee the hundreds of interviewing officers across the land have studied their handbook on the topic. The original DS-3025 will be part of the medical results that get forwarded to your AOS file. THey were in the white envelope turned in at POE. 

19 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

So I’ve been in contact with Knightsbridge over email and they sent me a photocopy of my signed DS3025 from the panel physician, it says at the bottom “k applicant elected to not be vaccinated at this examination” but I did go ahead and get the required vaccines from my GP when I went home and have copies of those on hand here. Will this be sufficient enough?

Timeline
4 hours ago, Penny&Lee said:

So I’ve been in contact with Knightsbridge over email and they sent me a photocopy of my signed DS3025 from the panel physician, it says at the bottom “k applicant elected to not be vaccinated at this examination” but I did go ahead and get the required vaccines from my GP when I went home and have copies of those on hand here. Will this be sufficient enough?

Take those things to a US civil surgeon so he can see the immunizations you have had and the dates. He will transcribe them all to the immunization section of I-693. That's what you require for AOS approval.

If you had gone to your GP for shots before your visa exam, then the DS3025 would have been signed off as complete and you could have skipped the civil surgeon.

4 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Take those things to a US civil surgeon so he can see the immunizations you have had and the dates. He will transcribe them all to the immunization section of I-693. That's what you require for AOS approval.

If you had gone to your GP for shots before your visa exam, then the DS3025 would have been signed off as complete and you could have skipped the civil surgeon.

Gotcha - thank you!

If I have "K Visa Applicant voluntarily completed vaccination requirements", ticked on the DS3025, I wouldn't need to get any more vaccines, right? If I understand correctly, those are the vaccination requirements for the K visa itself, not for AOS, but they should be the same.

Edited by Ironclad43

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Ironclad43 said:

If I have "K Visa Applicant voluntarily completed vaccination requirements", ticked on the DS3025, I wouldn't need to get any more vaccines, right? If I understand correctly, those are the vaccination requirements for the K visa itself, not for AOS, but they should be the same.

A K visa has no vaccination requirements. Zero.

But you chose to get the ones you need for AOS before your visa medical, so you have been signed of on an official immigration form by a US approved physician (called panel physician overseas and civil surgeon in the US) That DS3025 plus the visa medical exam results (that will get matched with your AOS file) should be all you need for AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.