Lorna&Alex

Green Card Approved and mailed to me on Friday July 5th but not arrived at my house yet. Travelling to Scotland in 3 days

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey Guys! 

I mentioned this in a recent post, but I booked a trip back home to Scotland months ago and then my green card interview was scheduled. I had my interview and my green card was finally approved last week YAY! Then on Friday, July 5th my Green Card was mailed to me! I haven't received the card in the mail yet as it's only been a few days but I travel to Scotland on the evening of Thursday July 11th - 3 days from now. If my Green card doesn't arrive tomorrow morning, i want to schedule an infopass appointment in Philadelphia for Wednesday or Thursday Morning so I can try and get a stamp in my passport. It's really difficult to get an infopass appointment at philly field office...any suggestions?? 

11 minutes ago, Lorna&Alex said:

Hey Guys! 

I mentioned this in a recent post, but I booked a trip back home to Scotland months ago and then my green card interview was scheduled. I had my interview and my green card was finally approved last week YAY! Then on Friday, July 5th my Green Card was mailed to me! I haven't received the card in the mail yet as it's only been a few days but I travel to Scotland on the evening of Thursday July 11th - 3 days from now. If my Green card doesn't arrive tomorrow morning, i want to schedule an infopass appointment in Philadelphia for Wednesday or Thursday Morning so I can try and get a stamp in my passport. It's really difficult to get an infopass appointment at philly field office...any suggestions?? 

Do you have AP?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You could try to get a stamp...although you might face some resistance on their part...........another (riskier) option is to have a family member send the card to you.....worst case scenario, imo, is that you return to the US border with neither your card or a stamp.......even without the actual Green Card, you have status as a legal resident.  The card is just evidence of that status........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Do you have AP?

Yes I do have AP. But I believe it becomes invalid as soon as the green card is approved?

6 minutes ago, missileman said:

You could try to get a stamp...although you might face some resistance on their part...........another (riskier) option is to have a family member send the card to you.....worst case scenario, imo, is that you return to the US border with neither your card or a stamp.......even without the actual Green Card, you have status as a legal resident.  The card is just evidence of that status........

Okay I guess I'll just go down there on Wednesday morning if i don't have it yet and hope that someone is nice enough to give me a stamp lol

5 minutes ago, Lorna&Alex said:

Okay I guess I'll just go down there on Wednesday morning if i don't have it yet and hope that someone is nice enough to give me a stamp lol

Call them now. They don't accept walk-ins: "This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments." "If you need help with document services (such as passport stamps and advance parole) or have an emergency, call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283." https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/pennsylvania-philadelphia-field-office

11 minutes ago, missileman said:

worst case scenario, imo, is that you return to the US border with neither your card or a stamp.......even without the actual Green Card, you have status as a legal resident.  The card is just evidence of that status........

Or a boarding foil from London USCIS office: https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/transportation-letter-request/

Edited by HRQX

6 minutes ago, Lorna&Alex said:

Yes I do have AP. But I believe it becomes invalid as soon as the green card is approved?

That doesn't matter, you can go with that. It'll allow you to board the plane and get back to the US. All you need to do is to be able to get in front of the CBP and they'll let you in. 

My GC was approved when I was out of the country. All I had was my AP card. You just come back using your AP card, they'll send you to secondary, which is standard procedure for AP. In secondary, they will be able to verify that your GC has been issued and you're a lawful permanent resident. That's what happened to me. The CBP guy asked me where was my GC, to which I replied, probably in the pile of mails at my house. That's it, and he stamped my passport "admitted as LPR" 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

Yep.....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Yes....If you can get back to the US border, you are golden.......after maybe short time in secondary......

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I agree with the AP just to get past line chap wanting to see a visa or ESTA and past the airline counter so you can get on the plane. Then at US side, they can look up your status when you tell the story. 

I personally think it will arrive in the mail before you leave 😁😂🤗

Timeline

Thank you for all your help everyone. I am going to keep everything crossed that the green card arrives tomorrow morning. If it doesn't, I will call the number  800-375-5283 like @HRQX suggested. And worst case scenario, I will just travel back to Scotland and then re-enter into the US next week using my AP and hope that they let me talk to a CBP. The only thing is - I am entering through Dublin so that's where I will go through immigration...not sure if that makes a difference

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.