morry & ren

Flight Arrangements for return trip to USA

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
2 hours ago, morry & ren said:

Hi everyone, This has been weighing on my mind for a while. I am going to fly to Manila to be with my Fiance during her interview. God willing she will be approved and as soon as we can get her Visa in hand, we will be flying home to the US. My question is, Can anyone give us your experience with how to go about booking a flight "Together" on our return trip to the USA? In other words, should I book a Round trip ticket and purchase her ticket when we get her Visa? Or should I book myself a One way and then book together (which will cost a fortune), I apologize in advance but I'm completely baffled! I'm sure that we are not the first to experience this particular situation and appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

This is exactly what I’m doing now. I booked myself a one-way ticket. Booking from the states is much easier and cheaper. When I’m ready to book the return I will book 2 tickets and have my sister book it from the states  technically we don’t know anything about our approval, how long the issuance of the visa or even administrative processing. The way things are going at my embassy - anything goes! Thats why i booked one way and will wait. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

10685284_10203853223303551_1747007237_n.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

My husband (USC) bought a roundtrip for himself and a one-way for me on the same flight.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
2 hours ago, morry & ren said:

Very good advice guys,  I was thinking along the same lines but was just looking to see what options are available for our particular situation.

Do you really need to travel together? 

You can get a round trip ticket for yourself and return when the time is. (With or without the visa approved.) I assume you need to go home at one point. For her you can buy a round trip ticket if its cheaper than a one way after she had the visa in hand and every info on it is correct. Just dont forget to cancel it.

If you are lucky you might be able to buy her a ticket on the same flight.

If you want to travel together then the only way to do is to pay a ton of money. 

As personal experience it was good that I had like 2 months to wrap up stuff back home before moving and not rush right away after my visa was approved.

2 hours ago, missileman said:

I would:

1.  Schedule myself a round trip ticket to PI.

2.  Upon arrival in PI, cancel my return leg.

3.  After having visa in hand,etc.......schedule a one way ticket for 2 back to the US.

Everything associated with immigration is expensive.......

I rolled the bones and got a myself a round trip to PI, and gave enough time so my fiancé could do her interview, get issued visa and wait for it to arrive in her province.  Once she had it I seems as if we had about 2 weeks to burn, I was flying Delta and I called them and had them put her on a flight with me and get us seats next to each other

ChickBoy

4 hours ago, morry & ren said:

Hi everyone, This has been weighing on my mind for a while. I am going to fly to Manila to be with my Fiance during her interview. God willing she will be approved and as soon as we can get her Visa in hand, we will be flying home to the US. My question is, Can anyone give us your experience with how to go about booking a flight "Together" on our return trip to the USA? In other words, should I book a Round trip ticket and purchase her ticket when we get her Visa? Or should I book myself a One way and then book together (which will cost a fortune), I apologize in advance but I'm completely baffled! I'm sure that we are not the first to experience this particular situation and appreciate any guidance anyone can offer.

Where does your fiancé live? What city or province.  My fiancé did the CFO in the morning,  and then did her first day medical at St. Lukes around 1 pm, her day one only took like 2 hours, she had to go back 2nd day for her results and shots. 

While I was there we flew into and thru Manila a couple times going to different desinations, and we were able to get her CFO sticker in the Manila Airport,  We told the person we were going to try to get out PHilippines early and to stand by and he gave her a sticker.

Edited by Falcon Cara

ChickBoy

@morry & ren When do you anticipate getting your NOA2 or is your time line not updated yet?

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Falcon Cara said:

Where does your fiancé live? What city or province.  My fiancé did the CFO in the morning,  and then did her first day medical at St. Lukes around 1 pm, her day one only took like 2 hours, she had to go back 2nd day for her results and shots. 

While I was there we flew into and thru Manila a couple times going to different desinations, and we were able to get her CFO sticker in the Manila Airport,  We told the person we were going to try to get out PHilippines early and to stand by and he gave her a sticker.

Central Mindanao.

*~*~*non-visa question moved from “K-1 fiancé visa process and procedures” to “moving to America” where similar questions concerning flight bookings are discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

In my experience it is sometimes cheaper to buy the one way ticket to the US while in Asia. I had a last minute change in plans last year and was able to buy a last minute one-way ticket from HK to US for less than $600.  Of course this is no guarantee, but I consistently see better prices for the same flight/seat/time when purchasing while in Asia.  

Timeline

I'm in the same boat with you.  There is no positive answer because of the uncertainty of Visa issue.  I am going to call EVA Airlines and discuss my situation with them.  They are a pretty good airlines and may be able to help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, PWB said:

I'm in the same boat with you.  There is no positive answer because of the uncertainty of Visa issue.  I am going to call EVA Airlines and discuss my situation with them.  They are a pretty good airlines and may be able to help.

Actually, it isn't complicated......Don't schedule return flight until visa is in hand and has been checked for accuracy.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Info from US embassy website:

Important Notice

Do not sell your house, car or property,  resign from your job or make non-refundable flight or other travel arrangements until you have received your immigrant visa.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

3 hours ago, nosleep said:

In my experience it is sometimes cheaper to buy the one way ticket to the US while in Asia. I had a last minute change in plans last year and was able to buy a last minute one-way ticket from HK to US for less than $600.  Of course this is no guarantee, but I consistently see better prices for the same flight/seat/time when purchasing while in Asia.  

Your post jogged my memory that there is a another way (of course there always other ways :D) using a VPN. This article explains it well.

https://www.safervpn.com/blog/save-money-on-flight-tickets-vpn/

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Your post jogged my memory that there is a another way (of course there always other ways :D) using a VPN. This article explains it well.

https://www.safervpn.com/blog/save-money-on-flight-tickets-vpn/

Thank you Sir!

Have you tried this concept yourself? Has anyone else ever tried this concept to evaluate its validity?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.