Jump to content

Should/Must sponsor update I-130 once become US citizens?

1 post in this topic

Recommended Posts

I filed I-130 for my unmarried son (above 18 yrs old) with a priority date in May 2014. I'm about to become a US citizen. When I look at the Visa bulletin (July, 2019), I noticed that, the final-action date for F1(US citizen) is 08MAR12; and F2B (Permanent Resident) is 01SEP13. It seems that, my son would get to the U.S faster if I stay a permanent resident rather than a citizen. 


My question are:

1. Is there any chance that the F1 category will pick up. Is it true that being a permanent resident would be more advantageous?

2. Can/Should I keep my permanent resident status for sponsoring? Can I file the I-864 and other paperwork now and not updating my citizenship status after my naturalization ceremony? 


Thank you very much!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...