7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi. I want to add affidavits by people who knew us as a couple for I-751. But unfortunately my family does not live in USA. So can I have any of my family member write affidavit for me from their country or does the person has to be in USA?

Affidavits do not add any significant value in terms of showing evidence of marriage but there is no harm in adding them to your packet. 

It is advised they are notarized and are from US Citizens or lawful permanent residents.

If they are from foreigners living in the US without a Green card or if they are from non US citizens, residing outside of US - there is ABSOLUTELY no need to send them. Don’t even bother your friends or relatives from outside the US to write any statements on an affidavit. Save their time. That paper is worthless. 

Stick to other proof you can send.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
13 hours ago, Goodluckeveryone said:

Hi. I want to add affidavits by people who knew us as a couple for I-751. But unfortunately my family does not live in USA. So can I have any of my family member write affidavit for me from their country or does the person has to be in USA?

If you co-workers ( US citizen or PR) came to your witness your marriage and you invited them a few times to your house or they to their house and if they are willing to provide affidavit, then go for it, otherwise, no need to submit affidavits ( they are not very useful or weak evidence).

Financial intermingling is the strong evidence and collect as much as you can.  Also submit power of attorney and living will ( each other) 

Timeline
23 hours ago, dilip said:

If you co-workers ( US citizen or PR) came to your witness your marriage and you invited them a few times to your house or they to their house and if they are willing to provide affidavit, then go for it, otherwise, no need to submit affidavits ( they are not very useful or weak evidence).

Financial intermingling is the strong evidence and collect as much as you can.  Also submit power of attorney and living will ( each other) 

I was not working (so no co workers). His family, friends or co-workers won't provide affidavit for me as we didn't end up on good terms.

Timeline

Do not bother.  Go ahead and collect your other documents as per the list suggested by VJ.  You will be fine.  As I said, affidavit is a weak evidence and USCIS does not put any emphasis on it as long as your other strong evidences.

Timeline
1 hour ago, dilip said:

Do not bother.  Go ahead and collect your other documents as per the list suggested by VJ.  You will be fine.  As I said, affidavit is a weak evidence and USCIS does not put any emphasis on it as long as your other strong evidences.

Unfortunately I don't have much stuff that is why I was thinking about affidavit. He didn't let me drive(no car title, no insurance). Didn't let me do job or get financialy independant.  We were living with his family so lease and utilities were on already on their name.

Timeline

Hmm,  if your spouse is working, then [1] Beneficiary of his 40IK [2] You are in his medical [3] Beneficiary of his job's life insurance [4] Any out side life insurance he has  and you as beneficiary [5] Joint checking account [6] make yourself co-user of his credit card ( capital one is best, since they itemize each credit card user in statement) and you use your card for purchase, so in statement your name will be seen.  [7] Living will [ 8] Power of attorney [9] travel documents ( hotel booking) and pictures during travel [10] picture taken with family members during marriage  [11] Also explaining in letter why you do not have lease and house, since you are living with his family.

Edited by dilip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.