victorf2

Delays in the processing immigrants visa in Santo Domingo

101 posts in this topic

Any of ya'll watched the Live that the embassy did on facebook and instagram? 

They said that supposedly the are the second in the world with the most immigrant visa petitions. I call BS. They also said that NVC could be at fault. 

I haven't finished it yet. 

- January 18: Documents delivered to Chicago Lockbox

-January 22: Case Submitted

-January 23: Last Update

-January 28: NOA1 arrived on the mail. 

Not sure of this is the right place to post this but because of what my husband and I went through getting him to the US I don’t want this to happen to anyone else.

My husband is Dominican I am a US citizen. From start to finish everything took about a year and one month. Our dream was to be together permanently and begin our new lives here in the US. He got approved for his visa in the end of August. I had already gone there in March to visit him but wanted to travel again so we can fly back to the US together. It was kind of my dream to fly with him so I can experience his first plane ride and everything else that comes with it. 

I went in October and lasted a week there. We were excited to start this new journey. We got to the airport Las Americas said goodbye to his family members checked in , went through security, its our turn to go through Immigration they stamp my son and my passport but send my husband over to an office, we go the ladies take his passport they take 20 minutes and say to us he is not able to fly today. We were in shock. I mean why not he has his visa? She states that in the system there is a person with the same exact name as him that has a warrant for his arrest. Oookay but we have all his papers here including a Recent police certificate they didn’t want to see anything. They kept saying the person that has the wArrant in the system they only have his name and no other information to compare to my husbands.  

All they said was he needed a certificate of no impediment from immigration. They didn’t even supply the address to such office we had to ask for it and we were rushed out. I had to fly back home with My son and look at an empty seat next to me for 3 hours. It was brutal and Of course my husband was distraught, plus it was the weekend so he had to wait until Monday to get such documents and he doesn’t even have transportation to get there and it’s no where near his home town. 

His flight was lost. We figured out where the office is he went there. Had to pay more bus fare money. He tells them what happens at the office of immigration there and they tell him no first you have to go to Interpol and they have to do a search for your name and if no criminal history pops up then they give you a certificate that states there’s no information in the database in your name. GREAT!! Now more bus fare money and pay for another document. 

On the same day he goes to the Interpol and they put his name in the database for a search that takes 5 business day..... good lord more waiting. More money for bus fare. He goes back the following Monday and he has the Interpol certificate saying his name his date of birth, cédula number and passport number stating he has no criminal record 🙄. He asks the people there so with this document is he okay to travel they tell him he is all set. 

I book another flight for the following week. More money for the flight and more money for him to get to the airport. He goes to the airport , say goodbye again to his family , goes through security and when he gets to immigration he has to go to the same office. He shows them the paper he got from Interpol and they tell him he cannot fly that he needs the no impediment document from immigration 🙄

that same day he goes to immigration gets the document but the person that puts the seal on it isn’t there 🙄😒. We had to wait because it was the weekend. The following Monday more money for bus fare and for document. He finally gets the document of no impediment that stated he has no impediment under his name or no alert to leave the country according to his Interpol document. 

I book another flight more money for the following week. More money for him to get to the airport and more money to have a shuttle bus bring him to his new home. 

At this point you would think we both lost all hope in being together. This poor guy because someone else has his same name has to go through this #######. But we had hope because the United States before approving his visa did their investigation and they know he’s clear. 

The day comes we are both nervous neither of us slept. He goes through the same thing says good bye to family again , check in , pass through security and then immigration where they send him to the stupid office. He shows the no impediment paper and gooood lord they let him through!!!!! 

He makes it here to New York JFK. He knows no English. He just follows the people. Goes through customs and immigration with NO PROBLEM WHATS SO EVER!!  

My husband is finally here !!! I have never been so happy!! I know this was long but if you are dominican and going through the airport Las America’s just because you have your visa doesn’t mean your clear to go.

My issue is we spent so much extra money and waisted so much time because their instructions were unclear. They also need to train everyone in there on having the same information because the Interpol and immigration all work together and if they would have told us the correct steps he would have been here sooner. 

It’s ridiculous to me that just because there is a person with the same name but have no other information on them that the traveler has to go through all this #######. 

They also said that if he ever goes back the DR in order to leave again he has to go through the same thing and get the no impediment document. Sooo crazy. 🙄😒 

I just wanted to share my experience because I did search on here and didnt find anything on here on what we went through. Hopeful it doesn’t happen to anyone else.  

Edited by Soli

53 minutes ago, Soli said:

Not sure of this is the right place to post this but because of what my husband and I went through getting him to the US I don’t want this to happen to anyone else.

My husband is Dominican I am a US citizen. From start to finish everything took about a year and one month. Our dream was to be together permanently and begin our new lives here in the US. He got approved for his visa in the end of August. I had already gone there in March to visit him but wanted to travel again so we can fly back to the US together. It was kind of my dream to fly with him so I can experience his first plane ride and everything else that comes with it. 

I went in October and lasted a week there. We were excited to start this new journey. We got to the airport Las Americas said goodbye to his family members checked in , went through security, its our turn to go through Immigration they stamp my son and my passport but send my husband over to an office, we go the ladies take his passport they take 20 minutes and say to us he is not able to fly today. We were in shock. I mean why not he has his visa? She states that in the system there is a person with the same exact name as him that has a warrant for his arrest. Oookay but we have all his papers here including a Recent police certificate they didn’t want to see anything. They kept saying the person that has the wArrant in the system they only have his name and no other information to compare to my husbands.  

All they said was he needed a certificate of no impediment from immigration. They didn’t even supply the address to such office we had to ask for it and we were rushed out. I had to fly back home with My son and look at an empty seat next to me for 3 hours. It was brutal and Of course my husband was distraught, plus it was the weekend so he had to wait until Monday to get such documents and he doesn’t even have transportation to get there and it’s no where near his home town. 

His flight was lost. We figured out where the office is he went there. Had to pay more bus fare money. He tells them what happens at the office of immigration there and they tell him no first you have to go to Interpol and they have to do a search for your name and if no criminal history pops up then they give you a certificate that states there’s no information in the database in your name. GREAT!! Now more bus fare money and pay for another document. 

On the same day he goes to the Interpol and they put his name in the database for a search that takes 5 business day..... good lord more waiting. More money for bus fare. He goes back the following Monday and he has the Interpol certificate saying his name his date of birth, cédula number and passport number stating he has no criminal record 🙄. He asks the people there so with this document is he okay to travel they tell him he is all set. 

I book another flight for the following week. More money for the flight and more money for him to get to the airport. He goes to the airport , say goodbye again to his family , goes through security and when he gets to immigration he has to go to the same office. He shows them the paper he got from Interpol and they tell him he cannot fly that he needs the no impediment document from immigration 🙄

that same day he goes to immigration gets the document but the person that puts the seal on it isn’t there 🙄😒. We had to wait because it was the weekend. The following Monday more money for bus fare and for document. He finally gets the document of no impediment that stated he has no impediment under his name or no alert to leave the country according to his Interpol document. 

I book another flight more money for the following week. More money for him to get to the airport and more money to have a shuttle bus bring him to his new home. 

At this point you would think we both lost all hope in being together. This poor guy because someone else has his same name has to go through this #######. But we had hope because the United States before approving his visa did their investigation and they know he’s clear. 

The day comes we are both nervous neither of us slept. He goes through the same thing says good bye to family again , check in , pass through security and then immigration where they send him to the stupid office. He shows the no impediment paper and gooood lord they let him through!!!!! 

He makes it here to New York JFK. He knows no English. He just follows the people. Goes through customs and immigration with NO PROBLEM WHATS SO EVER!!  

My husband is finally here !!! I have never been so happy!! I know this was long but if you are dominican and going through the airport Las America’s just because you have your visa doesn’t mean your clear to go.

My issue is we spent so much extra money and waisted so much time because their instructions were unclear. They also need to train everyone in there on having the same information because the Interpol and immigration all work together and if they would have told us the correct steps he would have been here sooner. 

It’s ridiculous to me that just because there is a person with the same name but have no other information on them that the traveler has to go through all this #######. 

They also said that if he ever goes back the DR in order to leave again he has to go through the same thing and get the no impediment document. Sooo crazy. 🙄😒 

I just wanted to share my experience because I did search on here and didnt find anything on here on what we went through. Hopeful it doesn’t happen to anyone else.  

Omg sorry to hear that. Thank you for sharing your story. Thank  God now you are with your husband 🤗

12 hours ago, Soli said:

It's all BS. In the DR there's no such thing like: You can't leave because someone has the same name as you. Usually the impediment of travel has the name and ID of the person and that's on their database. They just wanted money so they could let you go. You should have recorded everything and claim you'll go to the media with the info. 

That's shameful 🤦🏽‍♂️ but thank you anyways, I'll make sure to get one the day I leave. 

Edited by Cayacoa

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.