ashleyjan07

F2A petition not yet filed- looking for guidance on the best approach

15 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

Hello all- I am new to this forum and I was looking for some guidance prior to filing an F2A petition for my (future) spouse. I am a legal permanent resident and I will get married next month with my 7-year-boyfriend who is from Belize. He is not currently in the US. My story is a bit different because I became an LPR in 2013 but I’ve always gone back and forth to Guatemala (where I am from) first because I was finishing my college degree and then because I started working for an international organization, in order to no affect status I requested and got approved (twice) for a reentry permit. I’ve finally stop travelling back and forth and settled back in the US (Florida). My boyfriend remains in his country but because he has a B2 visa, I wanted him to come and get married here so that he could wait here with me until his green card got approved but I was told that because I am not a US citizen yet he wouldn’t be able to adjust status (and also because a B2 Visa is only for visiting purposes not to come and get married and stay in the country) so I was told that we should get married ASAP but that he would have to wait overseas during processing of his immigration visa. Can anyone here please provide guidance about what would be the best (and fastest) way to bring him to the US. We don’t want to spend so much time apart. Appreciate it so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The only option you two have is to get married, then file I-130 via consulate process. No one wants be apart from his/her love one but again the option you have is limited. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

There are not options, only one route and that is to file for him once you marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

To echo the above, your option is to marry, and then file.  You will spend a considerable amount of time waiting, just like everyone else.  Your immigration journey will not be fast, or cheap, and it’s definitely an emotional rollercoaster.  The light will come though.  Good luck :)

Timeline

Thank you so much for your responses. To confirm, we get marry, then file, and he then will have to wait in Belize? Also, I understand is a complicated process, do you recommend hiring an attorney to guide us through the process?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, ashleyjan07 said:

Thank you so much for your responses. To confirm, we get marry, then file, and he then will have to wait in Belize? Also, I understand is a complicated process, do you recommend hiring an attorney to guide us through the process?

Yes, he will have to wait out the process in Belize, though he can visit occasionally (assuming his b visa is current).  His interview will be at his local consulate.

The process isn’t complicated.  It’s a lot of paperwork, but it can easily be done without an attorney.  Even if you hire an attorney, you and your soon-to-be husband will be responsible for most of the leg work.  An attorney bears no effect on processing time or likeliness of approval.  

If you find yourself with a question, you can always post here and people are happy to help.  

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

Yes, he will have to wait out the process in Belize, though he can visit occasionally (assuming his b visa is current).  His interview will be at his local consulate.

The process isn’t complicated.  It’s a lot of paperwork, but it can easily be done without an attorney.  Even if you hire an attorney, you and your soon-to-be husband will be responsible for most of the leg work.  An attorney bears no effect on processing time or likeliness of approval.  

If you find yourself with a question, you can always post here and people are happy to help.  

Thanks so much!! I am so happy I joined Visa Journey. I will start the process myself once I get married and will definitely utilize the resources here. Thanks all!

1 hour ago, ashleyjan07 said:

I was told that because I am not a US citizen yet he wouldn’t be able to adjust status (and also because a B2 Visa is only for visiting purposes not to come and get married and stay in the country) so I was told that we should get married ASAP but that he would have to wait overseas during processing of his immigration visa.

Correct, but even if you were a USC this would be the case.  No one with a B-2 visa is permitted to enter with the intent to marry and adjust status.  It is a non-immigrant visa.

1 hour ago, ashleyjan07 said:

Can anyone here please provide guidance about what would be the best (and fastest) way to bring him to the US

As you are an LPR you only have the spousal visa option.  Even for USCs, there are no *fast* ways to bring anyone to the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The fastest would be to marry  and file as soon as possible then for you to apply for your USC and upgrade the petition.  It might shave some time off ( with current delays it could be a push ) 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

7 minutes ago, NigeriaorBust said:

The fastest would be to marry  and file as soon as possible then for you to apply for your USC and upgrade the petition.  It might shave some time off ( with current delays it could be a push ) 

If they qualify to naturalize....with 2 re-entry permits, they likely don't meet the continuous residency requirement and/or physical presence requirement.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
9 hours ago, geowrian said:

If they qualify to naturalize....with 2 re-entry permits, they likely don't meet the continuous residency requirement and/or physical presence requirement.

Yes exactly, due to my travelling back and forth I do not yet qualify for naturalization, until aprox five years :(. Thanks to all for your suggestions. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 hours ago, ashleyjan07 said:

Yes exactly, due to my travelling back and forth I do not yet qualify for naturalization, until aprox five years :(. Thanks to all for your suggestions. 

How long will it take you to get your citizenship, IR1/CR is way faster than F2A.... so if its just a few months, you wmight want to wait and file as a citizen

6 hours ago, shoowlaar said:

How long will it take you to get your citizenship, IR1/CR is way faster than F2A.... so if its just a few months, you wmight want to wait and file as a citizen

If he files now, he can upgrade it later if he becomes a USC. There's no benefit to waiting.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.