quitethejourney2

Beginner DIY-visa questions

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
44 minutes ago, quitethejourney2 said:

there was this weird black spot in the process where I thought 'well then how is the couple actually supposed to get married?'

You can get married anywhere in the world.  It doesn't have to be in the US to be recognized by US immigration.  Many couples decide not to risk denial of entry at US CBP when the fiancee/fiance is asked "what is the purpose of your visit?" and they honestly reply, "to marry my USC boyfriend/girlfriend, then return to my home country while we wait for the CR-1 visa."  Some have been admitted to do it this way, but others had problems and were not allowed in and had to fly back.  That's why my husband and I got married in Brazil.  We didn't want to make plans for a US wedding, pay for an expensive plane ticket, only to be turned away at the border by US CBP which is so unpredictable.  So it's up to you.  Good luck!

13 hours ago, carmel34 said:

You can get married anywhere in the world.  It doesn't have to be in the US to be recognized by US immigration.  Many couples decide not to risk denial of entry at US CBP when the fiancee/fiance is asked "what is the purpose of your visit?" and they honestly reply, "to marry my USC boyfriend/girlfriend, then return to my home country while we wait for the CR-1 visa."  Some have been admitted to do it this way, but others had problems and were not allowed in and had to fly back.  That's why my husband and I got married in Brazil.  We didn't want to make plans for a US wedding, pay for an expensive plane ticket, only to be turned away at the border by US CBP which is so unpredictable.  So it's up to you.  Good luck!

Hi Carmel34 - thanks for this! It may end up making the most sense to do a short trip to somewhere we can meet, get married overseas, and then begin the process for the exact reasons you mentioned. 

When a non-USC enters the USA for the purpose of visiting the answers should be foremost truthful and secondarily concise.  

For example when I went to visit my husband during our CR1 process (keep in mind I am Canadian):

Hi why are you visiting the USA? - I'm visiting my husband

Where do you work? - name of place

When do you plan on returning? - [insert date here]  (generally 7-10 days after arrival)

What does he do? - This job

Okay, have a nice trip. - Thank you!

Sometimes there's how did you meet? or what are your plans? or other conversational bits, but in general I kept my answers short and sweet and to the point.  I could have easily said a holiday or a vacation since the destination isn't unusual for vacations but likely that would have brought on questions based on why I'm travelling alone or who I was meeting.  Being truthful, direct, and concise saved everyone some time and effort. 

Sometimes getting married in a 3rd country is a better option.  Canada is wonderful in the summer and you can absolutely get married there.  As a British national ((there are different definitions based on when she was born and what type of passport she's entitled to... it's rather complicated) she can easily visit there.

I suggest Victoria or the Okanagan.  Kelowna has wonderful vineyards. Lemme know if you decide on that location, I know a wonderful officiant who can do religious or non-religious ceremonies :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

I'm gonna give my completely honest opinion.

I'd do anything to avoid Adjustment of Status (which is a part of K-1) Just because if you calculate, it just makes no sense at this point. I-129f processing is around 7 months, then depending on your location, embassy, interview etc. Took us with EXTREMELY quick embassy ~9months. March - November entry. Then there is AoS, which largely depends on your local office which varies between 10-26 months. There is a Employment authorization and travel authorization which is supposed to allow you to work and travel while waiting for adjustment of status, but even those now are 5-7+ months.
While CR-1 takes a bit more time to get entry, it'll give you all benefits from get go. Green card, Social security etc. 
You have your parents to co-sponsor, so you're fine in that matter. Do your thorough research on these forums and see your option.

My opinion, as someone who recently went thru k-1, don't take K-1 route, go CR-1. Get married anywhere in the world. If i could turn time, i wouldn't have went with K-1 for sure. It costs a lot more, with very little advantages, for the amount additional.

Other thing to consider, try to spend some time with your S/O. Trust me, or us for that matter, we see tons of "perfect love story" only to come out as "he/she got green card and left me without warning, how to take away his/her green card and get him/her deported". MAKE SURE it's the right person, only when there is actually no question marks, and you've been together for a couple years, i'd go ahead and get married. we got married 4 years AFTER i proposed, to see how we work out together, what are long-term goals, if they still match after a while, how we solve arising issues, how she reacts to changes, etc. It's gonna be difficult on the immigrant, but it's gonna be equally emotionally draining for you as well, personally i can still feel that "you took our girl away across the globe" pressure, even though everyone is trying to conceal it. Prepare for "everyone is sorry for immigrant" , not saying that it's easy either for them. But in a way, your needs and feelings are gonna be pushed aside for quite sometime at the beginning.

Immigration is not only the file and come thing. There is so much to it, that people who are still within that "romantic love" phase overlook, and not want to notice. make sure you pass that phase, and when routine hits, you still want to be together through it. 

All this came from a person "Mr. Popular sportsman, change girls every day". Don't judge book by it's cover or introduction, it's what between pages 5-500 should be interesting you. 

Cheers!

Edited by The_Empyrean
spelling and punctuation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.