Eva_AJ

Gettind Driving License with Military ID (Texas)

35 posts in this topic

I sit corrected. 

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
10 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

Hello everyone :) my visa was finally issued! Wohoo!!

My fiancé and I are trying to be prepared for eveything that will come after my arrival (July). One of the biggest issue is my driving license. I understand that in Texas I can only drive on my international driving license up to 90 days. Also to get the Texas DL I need EAD, but we were thinking...as my fiancé is military - could I use my military ID to get the Texas DL? Has anyone done that?

It might not work but I thought it was worth asking. Thank you for any reply! ❤️ 

No, you can’t use your military dependent ID to get a driver’s license. I’m in the military too and my wife has a dependent id, you still need to do an online exam before you can be issued a temporary driving license, then take a driving test before you can be get a permanent license. The dependent id only gives you benefits on military installations.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
10 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

I thought I couldn't do that and that's why it was such a issue to get DL in some states because you have to wait for EAD. As SSN anyone with any kind of visa can get that (I read about someone with tourist visa that got SSN)

I know in florida they did.

11 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

My fiancé and I are trying to be prepared for eveything that will come after my arrival (July). One of the biggest issue is my driving license. I understand that in Texas I can only drive on my international driving license up to 90 days. Also to get the Texas DL I need EAD, but we were thinking...as my fiancé is military - could I use my military ID to get the Texas DL? Has anyone done that?

It might not work but I thought it was worth asking. Thank you for any reply! ❤️ 

Legally you can't drive a international Driver license in Texas, only if you are a tourist. Which by definition you are not, you are on a immigrant visa.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it, I don't think the police would know or even care

Edited by Falcon Cara

ChickBoy

11 hours ago, Eva_AJ said:

You could get your Drivers licenses in Texas as soon as your entered if you have the supporting document, but it will expire after after you 90 days entry, which basically is worthless.

Best thing is to just drive on your existing DL and wait until you can get your Texas Driver License.   I went thru this couple years ago with Texas DOT.  Make sure the vehicle you are driving has insurance

ChickBoy

Just FYI:

You will have to go more than once. They will have to request your lawful presence with DHS, and then the letter will be mailed to you, and THEN you get to go back with that letter to get everything set up.

We went through this last year with my husband. Absolute pain in the butt. 

40 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Just FYI:

You will have to go more than once. They will have to request your lawful presence with DHS, and then the letter will be mailed to you, and THEN you get to go back with that letter to get everything set up.

We went through this last year with my husband. Absolute pain in the butt. 

We did it all in one trip, Really pretty easy.

I went to the McKinney Texas Dept. Of Public Safety, Which one did you use?

ChickBoy

Just now, Falcon Cara said:

We did it all in one trip, Really pretty easy.

I went to the McKinney Texas Dept. Of Public Safety, Which one did you use?

Our wasn't. We went to Hurst, and then to the Fort Worth Megacenter. They would not process his paperwork without the letter from DHS that stated he was here legally. Ours may have varied because we had a K1 visa, but even at this point he had his SSN and NOA1 from AOS.

12 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Our wasn't. We went to Hurst, and then to the Fort Worth Megacenter. They would not process his paperwork without the letter from DHS that stated he was here legally. Ours may have varied because we had a K1 visa, but even at this point he had his SSN and NOA1 from AOS.

Same here on K1,  I believe they use the SAVE System to check immigration status.  We had SSN and mail with her name on it, We got my wife a Texas State ID it was only good for like 2 weeks, but it sure came in handy after it expired.  I also got her a Texas Fishing License to use as secondary ID. 

Now of days in Texas you can't have both a DL and ID, it is either one or the other.  Back in my day you could have both.

ChickBoy

Just now, Falcon Cara said:

Same here on K1,  I believe they use the SAVE System to check immigration status.  We had SSN and mail with her name on it, We got my wife a Texas State ID it was only good for like 2 weeks, but it sure came in handy after it expired.  I also got her a Texas Fishing License to use as secondary ID. 

Now of days in Texas you can't have both a DL and ID, it is either one or the other.  Back in my day you could have both.

Yes. We had to go through the SAVE system. He was not issued anything until he got the letter from DHS. After that, he was given his permit, which we used to go to a driver's school in Hurst to take his test, as it was almost a six week wait to get a test through the DMV.

You got lucky - not everyone does. We've since moved to Indiana, where there's not as much BS when it comes to getting your license. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Is that what DHS require? So I wouldn't need EAD to get Texas DL? All I need is NOA1, SSN and DHS letter? Thank you for your time!

13 minutes ago, Eva_AJ said:

Is that what DHS require? So I wouldn't need EAD to get Texas DL? All I need is NOA1, SSN and DHS letter? Thank you for your time!

Here was our process:

1. Take a half day to go to the DPS and apply, to find out we need a letter from DHS

2. Wait for letter (took a week to get to our house)

3. Go back w/ letter, get permit (drivers tests are 6-8 weeks out atm)

4. Register w/ driving school and pay $50 just so he can take his test before 6-8 weeks out

5. Take test

6. Go back to DPS and get license

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/LawfulStatusDLID.htm

http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

Make sure you have ample documentation before you go. It is unlikely that they will be able to verify your legal status at your initial visit. Andy did not have his EAD, but he did have his NOA1 from filing for AOS.

It might take a little bit of time (and a few visits) but you do NOT need your EAD to get your license in Texas. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Eva_AJ said:

Use the Texas online appointment system........It is soooooo much better.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 minutes ago, missileman said:

Use the Texas online appointment system........It is soooooo much better.

ABSOLUTELY THIS. Make sure you get an appointment online!

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/getinlineonline.htm

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Jaquelly said:

Here was our process:

1. Take a half day to go to the DPS and apply, to find out we need a letter from DHS

2. Wait for letter (took a week to get to our house)

3. Go back w/ letter, get permit (drivers tests are 6-8 weeks out atm)

4. Register w/ driving school and pay $50 just so he can take his test before 6-8 weeks out

5. Take test

6. Go back to DPS and get license

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/LawfulStatusDLID.htm

http://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-57.pdf

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ApplyforLicense.htm

Make sure you have ample documentation before you go. It is unlikely that they will be able to verify your legal status at your initial visit. Andy did not have his EAD, but he did have his NOA1 from filing for AOS.

It might take a little bit of time (and a few visits) but you do NOT need your EAD to get your license in Texas. :)

Thank you so much this! I will follow this guideline. Thank you for your time!!! 

@missileman & @Jaquelly I will make sure to make the appointment online. Thank you for your advice ❤️

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.