Jump to content
Lewisgirl

Help!! Info needed please

13 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Is it advisable or compulsory for the petitioner (US citizen) to engage the service of an immigration lawyer to help with the process of the K-1 visa?

I and my fiance have not seen each other but I will be travelling to the US in July with my B1/B2 Visa to see him. How soon after the visit can the petition be filed?

Edited by Lewisgirl
Additional information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Lewisgirl said:

Is it advisable or compulsory for the petitioner (US citizen) to engage the service of an immigration lawyer to help with the process of the K-1 visa?

I and my fiance have not seen each other but I will be travelling to the US in July with my B1/B2 Visa to see him. How soon after the visit can the petition be filed?

So you haven't met each other yet? Hm. 

 

Well you can file as soon as you want after you meet. 

 

I see your country is Nigeria.. and you want to file for K1 after 1 meeting..  how to put it.. it's not going to work for your embassy. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roel said:

So you haven't met each other yet? Hm. 

 

Well you can file as soon as you want after you meet. 

No we haven't though we met (not physically) about 12 years ago and have been communicating. But there was a pause in communication after I got married 2013 and I also now have 3 US born kids. Divorced last year and we started communicating again this year. Going to see him next month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lewisgirl said:

No we haven't though we met (not physically) about 12 years ago and have been communicating. But there was a pause in communication after I got married 2013 and I also now have 3 US born kids. Divorced last year and we started communicating again this year. Going to see him next month

My advice if you're from Nigeria and planning on filling for k1 after 1 meeting... dont so it. Spend more time together in person, do few meetings, then file. 


K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Roel said:

My advice if you're from Nigeria and planning on filling for k1 after 1 meeting... dont so it. Spend more time together in person, do few meetings, then file. 

Ok thanks alot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JFH said:

Your children were born in the US? I assume all associated medical costs have been paid by you? That’s very important and must be done before you plan any immigration.

Yes my 3 kids were born in the US. Yes all associated medical costs were paid and I have all the receipts to show. I renewed my B1/B2 Visa 7months ago and was invited for an interview where all my receipts were checked to confirm i paid for all associated medical cost.

4 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Yes, you’re gonna need to spend a lot of time physically together before you file. Nigeria is a very tough Embassy

Ok thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not complicated, you can do it yourself. This site is full of folks, like ourselves, that have successfully done it without the need for an attorney. That being said, if you case has any, any types of irregularities or complications, consider lawyering up.  Yes, some embassies/consulates are tougher than others. One big key to success, is to be sure to read and heed the reviews, comments, questions, ideas, advice of others that have, or are going through the same embassy/consulate. The more research the better. Use the VJ Guides, and all of the  other readily available information, there is a lot of it.  It was formulated by folks before you that have successfully walked the same immigration path that you are contemplating starting upon. Look, read, research, then ask questions as needed. 

 

Good luck on your immigration journey. 


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pitaya (火龙果) said:

It's not complicated, you can do it yourself. This site is full of folks, like ourselves, that have successfully done it without the need for an attorney. That being said, if you case has any, any types of irregularities or complications, consider lawyering up.  Yes, some embassies/consulates are tougher than others. One big key to success, is to be sure to read and heed the reviews, comments, questions, ideas, advice of others that have, or are going through the same embassy/consulate. The more research the better. Use the VJ Guides, and all of the  other readily available information, there is a lot of it.  It was formulated by folks before you that have successfully walked the same immigration path that you are contemplating starting upon. Look, read, research, then ask questions as needed. 

 

Good luck on your immigration journey. 

Thanks alot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lewisgirl said:

Thanks alot

Oh, you are most welcome. 

 

Another good information source is the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Forum, https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/89-africa-sub-saharan/ . Check it out, that forum is full of folks that are currently in the midst of encountering the embassy/consulate part of the process, or have questions about country/regional specific immigration issues.

 

P.S. For many tough embassies/consulates, the more visits/contact between the petitioner and the beneficiary, the better to show that your relationship is the real thing. The embassies/consulates main goal is to identify and deny cases that are false, deceptive and/or fraudulent. 

 

Good luck.


Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

_______________________

:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Lewisgirl said:

Is it advisable or compulsory for the petitioner (US citizen) to engage the service of an immigration lawyer to help with the process of the K-1 visa?

I and my fiance have not seen each other but I will be travelling to the US in July with my B1/B2 Visa to see him. How soon after the visit can the petition be filed?

Nigeria is your country so as soon as the officer asks who you will visit in the US and you say you are going to meet your bf,  you will be more than likely turned back

and you have to be honest about this trip to meet him at the POE

the officer will assume your intent is to marry here in US and AOS to stay which is illegal 

and ROEL is correct   one meeting is not going to get the visa approved for Nigeria

and never never marry on 1st visit for this country is USC comes to Nigeria

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by adil-rafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...