Bruce_in_WA

Can my fiance fly into Canada as her port of entry?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, JFH said:

Canada has CBP pre-clearance like Dublin abd Abu Dhabi. So it would be a POE, assuming the person is eligible to travel to Canada in the first place.

Only if continuing via air

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Oh I thought that was what he meant. Into YVR and then onwards to SEA. Didn’t realize he meant driving. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It would be silly for most to get a visa for Canada first to enter the USA

More than likely gotta shell out $200 for roundtrip airfare from their province, or take a bus or a roro and spend days trying to get there.

Then apply for visa which would probably get shot down, and then pay for hotel, food, Grab/taxi.

ChickBoy

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

It would be silly for most to get a visa for Canada first to enter the USA

More than likely gotta shell out $200 for roundtrip airfare from their province, or take a bus or a roro and spend days trying to get there.

Then apply for visa which would probably get shot down, and then pay for hotel, food, Grab/taxi.

Stop being logical 

YMMV

7 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Stop being logical 

When I was young It seemed that life was so wonderful A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.

And all the birds in the trees Well they´d be singing so happily Oh joyfully, oh playfully watching me

But then they sent me away To teach me how to be sensible Logical, oh responsible ,practical

ChickBoy

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Falcon Cara said:

When I was young It seemed that life was so wonderful A miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical.

And all the birds in the trees Well they´d be singing so happily Oh joyfully, oh playfully watching me

But then they sent me away To teach me how to be sensible Logical, oh responsible ,practical

Supertramp 

YMMV

14 hours ago, Bruce_in_WA said:

I live in Washington State USA,  and the closest major airport is Vancouver BC Canada.

We have been approved for our K1 fiance visa. She is from the Philippines.

We were wondering if she can fly from Manila into Vancouver, and we can cross the border into Washington State.

Can a K1 USA fiance visa have a Vancouver Canada port of entry?

Can we get special permission?

Thanks.

This is exactly what we did when my husband arrived from Auckland NZ with his K-1!  We went through Blaine with zero problems.

Just to clarify, his K1 visa was processed at Blaine, not YVR.

I had actually called the Canadian border folks to make sure he wouldn’t need evidence of onward travel, as we were driving.

As a citizen of NZ, I believe he has some sort of VWP deal for Canada, so no visa was required.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Why can’t you just drive to Sea Tac? It is really not that far. If she is coming all the way here for you in a 16 hours fly. I think she deserves an easy less hassle flight. 

The only reason I said this is because I was denied to board one time when the 1st stop is London. I did not have the tourist visa and they care less about my green card. 

Bellingham or where ever you are that near Canada border is about 1 1/2 to 2 hour to the airport. Show her the main city on the way back. Show her her new home. 

I129F sent : 20/12/2013

I129f received: 26/1/2013

NOA1 notification: 01/01/2014 heart.gifheart.gif

Alien registration number changed :03/01/2014

NOA2 notification: 04/02/2014

Case number: 14/02/2014heart.gifheart.gif

Embassy recieved: 19/02/2014

Fee paid: 26/02/2014

P3 recieved: 03/03/2014

P3 sent: 04/03/2014

Interview day : 07/05/2014goofy.gifgoofy.gif

4 minutes ago, Ck207 said:

Why can’t you just drive to Sea Tac? It is really not that far. If she is coming all the way here for you in a 16 hours fly. I think she deserves an easy less hassle flight. 

The only reason I said this is because I was denied to board one time when the 1st stop is London. I did not have the tourist visa and they care less about my green card. 

Bellingham or where ever you are that near Canada border is about 1 1/2 to 2 hour to the airport. Show her the main city on the way back. Show her her new home. 

I live closer to SEA, and we still chose to do this for the direct Air New Zealand flight from AKL to YVR, as my husband had four HUGE suitcases for moving here, and it was actually easier than going through LAX  or SFO to get to SEA.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

she can fly into canada and go thru customs and immigration in Canada

but needs to fly out as otherwise looks like staying in canada and she would have to cross the border again (2nd time entry into the US and K1 visa only good for 1 time

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/customs-and-immigration/us-customs-and-border-protection

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is the U.S. government agency responsible for securing U.S. borders and facilitating international trade and travel. Within DHS, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) administers US. pre-clearance programs.

and she does not need transit visa

see the last section for the Phillipines

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/transit.html

Edited by adil-rafa

2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

She can enter there and do the customs and immigration for the USA 

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/navigate-yvr/customs-and-immigration/us-customs-and-border-protection

Through U.S. preclearance, the same immigration, customs, and agriculture inspections of international air passengers performed on arrival in the United States is completed before departure at YVR instead. Please note that US CBP is operational between the hours of 04:30 and 20:30. Passengers who are departing on flights outside of this time should contact their airline for more information.

but she has to fly out and into the US

Canadian transit visa is free when staying less than 48 hours and can apply online (appoval is quick)  it is good for 5 years but will not be needed after she has her green card

she can do customs and immigration in Canada

but needs to fly out as otherwise looks like staying in canada and she would have to cross the border again (2nd time entry into the US and K1 visa only good for 1 time

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is the U.S. government agency responsible for securing U.S. borders and facilitating international trade and travel. Within DHS, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) administers US. pre-clearance programs.

and she does not need transit visa

see the last section for the Phillipines

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/transit.html

2nd time crossing border?  That makes no sense.   The OP wants to have her land at YVR, and then drive to the Peace Arch crossing.  In this scenario, there is only one option for POE into the US, and that is at the land border.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

she can fly into canada and go thru customs and immigration in Canada

but needs to fly out as otherwise looks like staying in canada and she would have to cross the border again (2nd time entry into the US and K1 visa only good 

She would only go through US customs and immigration in Vancouver if she was boarding a connecting flight,  not if she was going to do a land border crossing.  So no second entry to the USA 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Bruce_in_WA said:

I live in Washington State USA,  and the closest major airport is Vancouver BC Canada.

We have been approved for our K1 fiance visa. She is from the Philippines.

We were wondering if she can fly from Manila into Vancouver, and we can cross the border into Washington State.

Can a K1 USA fiance visa have a Vancouver Canada port of entry?

Can we get special permission?

Thanks.

You must live in Northern Washington.  I live in Marysville, and I wanted to do the same thing with my fiance at the time coming in from Brazil, since Vancouver is a bit less expensive, but I couldn't find a flight to do so.  Yet at the same time I didn't wnat to take that risk of some kind of hiccup at the Canada/U.S. border.  Was SEATAC too expensive to fly into?  Everett is now open, of course no direct flights, but a suggestion.... 

15 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

Being a little too literal there guys.  

He was asking about logistics and convenience not misunderstanding geography.  

Disagree. He asked if they could get “special permission” to use Canada as a POE. That implies something other than logistics.

Maybe confused because if you fly from Canada there is preclearance at the airports so that is POE in that sense, but not the way he wants to do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.