Moca_Madness

What happens when you get denied

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At the actual interview for the visa?

the CO sees there is reason to believe the relationship is not real

they may think the bene is using the USC to come to the USA and get the green card

can be a number of reasons

1   the bene is not familiar enough with the USC and family

2   the bene is getting money from the USC

3   the age difference is huge 

4   there is a difference in religions

5   the 2 people have not been together for many visits and know little about each other,  the cultures and the norms for what is expected for a real relionship

6  the beneficary is poorly equipted for the interview for any and all of the above

7   plus a number of other factors like too many divorces,   etc

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Unless the reason for denial was improper payment or the wrong version of the form so they didn't take your money to begin with, yes.

What you're describing is a rejection, not a denial. Two very different things in regards to time and money spent.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

3 hours ago, Moca_Madness said:

Question: What happens if your petition is denied? Has anyone been denied? What are the steps afterwards?

If you got a letter stating the reason for denial, it should (?) also include means of fixing the petition so that you can re-file it. Did you get any kind of letter stating why it was denied?

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

14 minutes ago, Amadia said:

If you got a letter stating the reason for denial, it should (?) also include means of fixing the petition so that you can re-file it. Did you get any kind of letter stating why it was denied?

OP's timeline would indicated they've only just filed the petition....

I am asking to see what it looks like. I just filed but all I see is what happens when couples are successful. So I am asking what the other end looks like. Have to be prepared for anything!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
9 minutes ago, Moca_Madness said:

I am asking to see what it looks like. I just filed but all I see is what happens when couples are successful. So I am asking what the other end looks like. Have to be prepared for anything!

Oh, you will see denials......just hang around.....they happen pretty frequently.  Usually, the poster will say something like ".....returned to USCIS...."

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 minutes ago, Moca_Madness said:

No need to worry about that. The petition is a separate matter to the visa. If you're seeing people talking about denials here, it's unlikely that they are talking about the petition.

The petition is just to check that there is a legal path of eligibility for the immigrant. So for a K-1 visa the I-129F petition is to establish:

- the immigrant and the American have met at least once in person in the last 2 years

- the immigrant and the American are both free to marry (i.e not already married to someone else or each other, old enough to marry, not related in a way that makes marriage illegal)

- the immigrant and the American have supplied written letters stating that they understand they are to marry within 90 days of the immigrant's arrival in order to proceed with the next stage

- the petitioner is a US citizen

- the American has not committed certain crimes that exclude him/her from bringing a foreign fiancé to the US (google 'Adam Walsh Act' for a list of those crimes)

If you meet all of those, and you enclose the correct fee and supporting documents per the instructions, you're good. An approved petition just means the immigrant has a valid, legal path to apply for a visa. It doesn't mean that the immigrant will get a visa, merely that he or she will be eligible to apply.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

The one thing that concerns me is that I am 20 years older than my fiance. We have been together over a year. I want to avoid that pitfall.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Moca_Madness said:

The one thing that concerns me is that I am 20 years older than my fiance. We have been together over a year. I want to avoid that pitfall.

In your case, I don't see it as a huge issue....but this kind of issue is usually overcome with several visits...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

The more time you spend together the better. Keep plane tickets, passport stamps, everything you can.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Most of the time they will give you a second chance and submit a RFE. Unless it's a error in payment or not meeting the financial requirement.

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

7 hours ago, corvusheart said:

Most of the time they will give you a second chance and submit a RFE. Unless it's a error in payment or not meeting the financial requirement.

Not sure that this is that valid since the new rule interpretation came into effect. Failure to submit all required documents is now grounds for a denial in the first instance (ie before an RFE)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
22 hours ago, Moca_Madness said:

We were denied at the embassy interview for K1. Due to them not believing it was legitimate, not displaying adequate intent to marry. The petition is now going back to USCIS and USCIS has told me as of Tues,  they are going to review it. So fingers crossed they reaffirm. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.