Ashweehehe

Booking flights

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey, 

so, I have my interview June 20th,  I’ve found some flights for July 4th (exactly 2weeks after my interview) would I be pushing my luck to book these? There is a options to pay for a flexibility perk which allows me t cancel and change flights upto 24hours before flying which I would  get.

i guess I’m just asking from previous experiences the likely hood of everything being in hand in time 

Thanks in advance 😬

I'd say wait until you have visa in hand.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ashweehehe said:

Hey, 

so, I have my interview June 20th,  I’ve found some flights for July 4th (exactly 2weeks after my interview) would I be pushing my luck to book these? There is a options to pay for a flexibility perk which allows me t cancel and change flights upto 24hours before flying which I would  get.

i guess I’m just asking from previous experiences the likely hood of everything being in hand in time 

Thanks in advance 😬

Always will be recommended to not purchase anything until visa is in hand. There are so many variables that can come into play and mess up things or delay them. But, if you're absolutely wanting to, ensure there is availability to adjust the dates without cost of minimum anyways.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

If the flexible booking option is priced reasonable, you could, I suppose.  There's certainly no guarantee you will be approved and getting a passport stamped in that timeframe.  Personally, I wouldn't do it unless I could rebook for practically free, or the price was far too good to pass up.

DCF CR1 filing in Guangzhou, China:

Married - 2018-09-25

I-30 submitted at Guangzhou office - 2019-06-17
I-130 approved - 2019-06-18
DS-260 Confirmation Handed to CITIC to be Delivered - 2019-11-12-2019

DS-260 Approved, received email to schedule appointment - 2019-11-20-2019

Visa Interview in Guangzhou (Approved!) 😁 2019-12-16-2019

Immigration Visa Issued 2019-12-17-2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Of course you're pushing your luck if you make travel plans before the visa is in your hand. Most in London get them back in a week. But then there's AmandaandChayne who was approved yet it took 67 days tho get the visa. Timeline:https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=276397

and Moreadore approved in November but no visa yet. Timeline:https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=291414

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

These question can always use some extra emphasis due to the stories we often read about regarding travel, or wedding plans that go bust because a visa was not issued.

As others have said, don't book anything until the visa is in hand.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I mean, if the tix are refundable, yeah sure. But I’d wait until the visa is in hand.

just my two cents. good luck for the interview.

PLEASE wait.  You will never know whats gonna happen.

Like for example I am from germany and interviews and visa on hand is most of the time within a week and I almost wanted to book my stuff too but then it didnt work out. They had some technical problems and couldnt verify my fingerprints. So i needed to come back one week after my interview. Just this little detail extended my planned visa on hand for about 2 to 3 weeks.

Also remember that things get lost or damaged, and mistakes on visas do happen. It's certainly not common, but that adds a delays to the process when it does.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

Do you oldtimers remember when the system got hacked a few years back and all visa production worldwide stopped for several weeks while the IT people secured the system?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Do you oldtimers remember when the system got hacked a few years back and all visa production worldwide stopped for several weeks while the IT people secured the system?

That would 100% be my luck 😂🙈

only reason why I’m debating it, is because the flights go from £385 with no transfers, the following day they’re at £565 and then the week after they in the £700+.  The flexibility premium is only £60 for all 3 of us. I’d still have to pay the difference in flight costs if I changed, but gives us a chance at bargain priced flights, if that makes sense?

I totes get the holding off, I’ve always been one to do nothing until you’ve got it in hand, but on the other hand I could potentially save over a grand for the sale of £60. Ughhhh.  I also do not want t jinx myself. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
39 minutes ago, Ashweehehe said:

only reason why I’m debating it, is because the flights go from £385 with no transfers, the following day they’re at £565 and then the week after they in the £700+.  The flexibility premium is only £60 for all 3 of us. I’d still have to pay the difference in flight costs if I changed, but gives us a chance at bargain priced flights, if that makes sense?

I totes get the holding off, I’ve always been one to do nothing until you’ve got it in hand, but on the other hand I could potentially save over a grand for the sale of £60. Ughhhh.  I also do not want t jinx myself. 

Totally makes sense to me when prices start to just continually climb going into the summer.  For the sake of £60 as a backup I would be inclined to take a punt and cross those finger and toes that everything goes through as you hope 😋

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Ashweehehe said:

Are you booking round trip tickets at that price? Have you tried various return dates  in the fall or winter at undesieravle hours to see if it's cheaper then? Maybe you can cut the price more. I have found travel on some holidays to be cheaper. I flew cheap on Christmas Day once because the crunch was to arrive before Christmas. 

It's difficult to decide because odd thing happen to a few people that they didn't expect. How long did you leave between your medical and interview? The medical being delayed arriving causes a longer wait for the visa. 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Are you booking round trip tickets at that price? Have you tried various return dates  in the fall or winter at undesieravle hours to see if it's cheaper then? Maybe you can cut the price more. I have found travel on some holidays to be cheaper. I flew cheap on Christmas Day once because the crunch was to arrive before Christmas. 

It's difficult to decide because odd thing happen to a few people that they didn't expect. How long did you leave between your medical and interview? The medical being delayed arriving causes a longer wait for the visa. 

My medical will have been 5weeks previous to my interview.  

The tickets were for one way, round trip was pretty much the same price, strangely cheaper on certain dates though. 

If push comes t shove I’m happy t pay the higher prices as if all goes smoothly I want t be there by at latest August as we have k2s for school. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.