Sandman2018

K1 for Bahraini female citizen ? Sharia law?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

OP mentioned Shia and I am pretty sure they are not a minority.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say.  Even Shia Muslims don't all believe exactly the same.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
4 hours ago, Boiler said:

I do not understand the practice bit, someone who actively participates? And how do you tell?

The issue I see is that you need to free to marry and as a Muslim Female can not marry a non Muslim male then how are you free to marry?

Now if they are not a Muslim then the issue would not arise.

She isn't a firm believer in Islam, but acts like a pious Muslim around her family. How does one actively participate? Perhaps she fasts during Ramadan. Perhaps she prays 5 times a day (or prays with family members when the situation arises). She probably doesn't drink alcohol  nor eat non-halal food (at least not around family). 

And it is easy to explain to the CO: "I am a Muslim by birth, and follow some of its practices, but I don't subscribe to all its tenets." 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

4 hours ago, Limey said:

I'm not sure I did.

Beneficiary has to state they are free to marry, and intend to marry. Beneficiary can truthfully state this, assuming she is not currently married, of sufficient age, and not closely related to the petitioner. This is the same whether she's an atheist from the UK or a Muslim from Bahrain. Her religion or home country is completely irrelevant.

In THEORY.  However, we have seen rejections and extended AP in PRACTICE with similar relationship issues and consulates.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

In THEORY.  However, we have seen rejections and extended AP in PRACTICE with similar relationship issues and consulates.

Yes, OP and his fiancee should be aware that the question might come up in the interview, how she reconciles her faith with planning to marry a non-Muslim.  @usmsbow has given a good example how to address it: 

39 minutes ago, usmsbow said:

"I am a Muslim by birth, and follow some of its practices, but I don't subscribe to all its tenets." 

6 hours ago, Limey said:

That's a possibility, however I'd have thought that the local customs being taken into account works both ways...

As a UK citizen the embassy in London might consider it strange, or a red flag that my family hadn't been made aware of my relationship. They may probe this area to find out more. In Bahrain or similar countries, I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to explain to the interviewer why the beneficiary's family had not been informed about the application/relationship? Obviously that won't negate the requirement for other convincing proof of relationship.

I’d say quite the contrary. When I had my interview in London I’d been married for 2 years and almost 3 months. Neither of my parents had met my husband by that stage. They didn’t even know we got married until after the event. No issue whatsoever. The CO didn’t find it in any way unusual. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

50 minutes ago, JFH said:

I’d say quite the contrary. When I had my interview in London I’d been married for 2 years and almost 3 months. Neither of my parents had met my husband by that stage. They didn’t even know we got married until after the event. No issue whatsoever. The CO didn’t find it in any way unusual. 

I think London is a pretty easy Embassy - they certainly asked me whether I'd met her parents and whether she'd met mine (yes in both cases) but I doubt it would have caused a problem if it wasn't the case, as we had numerous trips to see each other etc, its also a little different as in your case when you've been married for 2 years+ (in cases of fraud, you'd imagine things move much faster).

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One random question, does Bahrain require any sort of exit visas for its citizens?  I know in Saudi Arabia, for example, that the consent of relatives is required to leave the country for unmarried women.  Some quick googling doesn't reveal anything like that, but something also to double-check.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Did not read any comments and do not mean to sound like a douche, but you need to tread very very carefully. If she does not get them directly herself or is not home to receive any mail that comes to her home from this kind of stuff and her family catches that - In some countries killing the daughter for such behavior is the only way to re-bestow respect upon the family. ....... Instances of this has happened in the USA to USA born kids from immigrant Muslim families beheading daughters. I don't say this to sound like (removed) or etc but this has happened... so please for the Love of God and all that is Immigration, make sure she is there to intercept any and all mail related to this addressed to her.

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

2 hours ago, MateR said:

Did not read any comments and do not mean to sound like a douche, but you need to tread very very carefully. If she does not get them directly herself or is not home to receive any mail that comes to her home from this kind of stuff and her family catches that - In some countries killing the daughter for such behavior is the only way to re-bestow respect upon the family. ....... Instances of this has happened in the USA to USA born kids from immigrant Muslim families beheading daughters. I don't say this to sound like (removed)or etc but this has happened... so please for the Love of God and all that is Immigration, make sure she is there to intercept any and all mail related to this addressed to her.

Very salient points.  A quick read of Wikipedia makes it seem like Bahrain is fairly progressive for a Muslim country (i.e women can vote and run for office, etc), but it is difficult to know from that citation if familial violence against girls and women is common.

Edited by Ontarkie
edited quoted part for language

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, MateR said:

Did not read any comments and do not mean to sound like a douche, but you need to tread very very carefully. If she does not get them directly herself or is not home to receive any mail that comes to her home from this kind of stuff and her family catches that - In some countries killing the daughter for such behavior is the only way to re-bestow respect upon the family. ....... Instances of this has happened in the USA to USA born kids from immigrant Muslim families beheading daughters. I don't say this to sound like a **** or etc but this has happened... so please for the Love of God and all that is Immigration, make sure she is there to intercept any and all mail related to this addressed to her.

Chances of anything being sent by post is slight

YMMV

Timeline
8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Chances of anything being sent by post is slight

What do you mean? When i did K1 with my fiancee, she received things by post/courier and ofc when she was at work they called her phone when she didnt answer the door........ esp after the NVC stage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, MateR said:

What do you mean? When i did K1 with my fiancee, she received things by post/courier and ofc when she was at work they called her phone when she didnt answer the door........ esp after the NVC stage.

There are exceptions to everything but most go through the entire process without receiving anything by POST.  The passport is the only thing that most people experience from a courier and that is easily overcome 

YMMV

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

There are exceptions to everything but most go through the entire process without receiving anything by POST.  The passport is the only thing that most people experience from a courier and that is easily overcome 

Slight is still enough. Notification letters have gone through post before which is why I say it. Better safe then sorry. And this in a European country (My fiancee received notifs through the post). Bahrain is small. People will know each other and will talk. Gossip culture - there is a reason why there is a saying "Loose lips sink ships."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.