Sandman2018

K1 for Bahraini female citizen ? Sharia law?

43 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how the fiancé visa process works if my beneficiary is a Bahraini and comes from a Shi’a family?

Would she need any sort of permission from her family before she is granted a K1 visa or because we would get married in the states it wouldn’t matter.

I ask because she wants to keep her family out of this process as they wouldn’t approve of us being together because I am not Muslim, but not sure if Bahraini law/ or anything to do with her parents would prohibit her from getting the fiancé visa.

We just submitted our i129f.

any info on this would be helpful.

Thank you.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, TonyOnTheWater said:

Does anyone know how the fiancé visa process works if my beneficiary is a Bahraini and comes from a Shi’a family?

Would she need any sort of permission from her family before she is granted a K1 visa or because we would get married in the states it wouldn’t matter.

I ask because she wants to keep her family out of this process as they wouldn’t approve of us being together because I am not Muslim, but not sure if Bahraini law/ or anything to do with her parents would prohibit her from getting the fiancé visa.

We just submitted our i129f.

any info on this would be helpful.

Thank you.

US law as it relates to the Visa 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Posted (edited)

Some local practices/rules are taken into account by the interviewing agent at embassy/consular level to evaluate if the relationship is real/bona fide.

Would be useful to search on the forum for couples from Bahrain who have shared their experience. Also, search for non Muslim petitioners who went through the process for their Muslim partners. From what I've read around on different threads, not sharing religious beliefs in certain countries is considered a red flag -paired with big age gaps, not meeting enough prior filing, etc.-.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

36 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Some local practices/rules are taken into account by the interviewing agent at embassy/consular level to evaluate if the relationship is real/bona fide.

Would be useful to search on the forum for couples from Bahrain who have shared their experience. Also, search for non Muslim petitioners who went through the process for their Muslim partners. From what I've read around on different threads, not sharing religious beliefs in certain countries is considered a red flag -paired with big age gaps, not meeting enough prior filing, etc.-.

Good idea. The petition is very likely to be approved by USCIS, but she may encounter problems at the interview stage if her family disapproves.

39 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Thanks for the reply. I searched a bit regarding Bahrain but wasn’t able to find much. 

Hopefully we don’t have much issue, she doesn’t practice Islam anymore, just participates for her family’s sake. While her family would disapprove, my family has met her and approves of us and hopefully that would be enough. 

She plans to explain to the interviewer that she doesn’t practice Islam personally anymore, and hopefully that would be enough?

10 minutes ago, TonyOnTheWater said:

Thanks for the reply. I searched a bit regarding Bahrain but wasn’t able to find much. 

Hopefully we don’t have much issue, she doesn’t practice Islam anymore, just participates for her family’s sake. While her family would disapprove, my family has met her and approves of us and hopefully that would be enough. 

She plans to explain to the interviewer that she doesn’t practice Islam personally anymore, and hopefully that would be enough?

The consulate interview is all about the beneficiary, so it won't matter as much what your family thinks.  Have you been there and met her family?

Just now, Jorgedig said:

The consulate interview is all about the beneficiary, so it won't matter as much what your family thinks.  Have you been there and met her family?

I spent a significant of time in Bahrain with her, but haven’t met her immediate family. She lives with them now, but if they knew about us they would most likely kick her out or keep her from leaving the house. She’s 25, but traditionally people live at home till they are married and they wouldn’t approve of me ever.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TonyOnTheWater said:

It all comes down to the interviewing agent being convinced about your relationship being real, based merely on what you submitted and the information he/she gathers in the few minutes the interview lasts. 

It is certainly concerning that her family has no knowledge about the relationship or the process you both are going through. If the disclosure of your relationship places her at some sort of risk, I reckon the consular officer could deny the visa not because they don't believe you are a real couple but because her safety could be threatened. 

That's why it is important to find recent cases, specifically from Bahrain, to get a better grasp of the way they deal with situations like yours. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Due to the fact that a Muslim (even if she is not practicing the family believes she is) woman marrying a non-muslim man isn't even legal under Islamic Law it would make total sense to the Consular officer as to why the family does not know about the relationship.   I'm not certain if the it would cause any issues at the embassy stage but I would make sure they know that she is no longer practicing.   You will not run into issues in the earlier stages.  In the meantime perhaps you can gain some insight from others who have been through that particular embassy before your interview takes place.

Good luck to you!

10 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Good idea. The petition is very likely to be approved by USCIS, but she may encounter problems at the interview stage if her family disapproves.

That's a possibility, however I'd have thought that the local customs being taken into account works both ways...

As a UK citizen the embassy in London might consider it strange, or a red flag that my family hadn't been made aware of my relationship. They may probe this area to find out more. In Bahrain or similar countries, I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to explain to the interviewer why the beneficiary's family had not been informed about the application/relationship? Obviously that won't negate the requirement for other convincing proof of relationship.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

7 minutes ago, Limey said:

That's a possibility, however I'd have thought that the local customs being taken into account works both ways...
As a UK citizen the embassy in London might consider it strange, or a red flag that my family hadn't been made aware of my relationship. They may probe this area to find out more. In Bahrain or similar countries, I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to explain to the interviewer why the beneficiary's family had not been informed about the application/relationship? Obviously that won't negate the requirement for other convincing proof of relationship.

7 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

Due to the fact that a Muslim (even if she is not practicing the family believes she is) woman marrying a non-muslim man isn't even legal under Islamic Law it would make total sense to the Consular officer as to why the family does not know about the relationship.   I'm not certain if the it would cause any issues at the embassy stage but I would make sure they know that she is no longer practicing.   You will not run into issues in the earlier stages.  In the meantime perhaps you can gain some insight from others who have been through that particular embassy before your interview takes place.

Good luck to you!

This type of thing is actually pretty coming in Muslim countries concerning petitioning a fiancé or spouse that is either not of the same religion or are gay and the petitioner has not met the family due to it being outside of social norms in that country. We see the gay issue brought up a lot more on VJ now since it was made Legal across the USA. 

Normally we see Male Muslims and that is OK, I also thought a Female Muslim was not allowed to marry outside the religion?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Normally we see Male Muslims and that is OK, I also thought a Female Muslim was not allowed to marry outside the religion?

That might be Bahraini law, but its not US law, and the marriage for a k1 takes place in the USA.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Female "practicing " Muslim 

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.